PDA

View Full Version : NY Times 1/06/07

MarkID
January 7th, 2007, 05:24 PM
There's a front page article in the today's NY Times about botnets and zombie computers, computers that are taken over by malware and used for criminal or illicit puproses. The first security tip is to use an OS other than Microsoft Windows. Another security tip is not to use Internet Explorer, but Firefox or Opera. Duh. Why didn't "anyone" think of these things sooner?

MetalMusicAddict
January 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
There's a front page article in the today's NY Times about botnets and zombie computers, computers that are taken over by malware and used for criminal or illicit puproses. The first security tip is to use an OS other than Microsoft Windows. Another security tip is not to use Internet Explorer, but Firefox or Opera. Duh. Why didn't "anyone" think of these things sooner?

Wow. Thats pretty cool. Did they mention Linux specifically at all?

Tomosaur
January 7th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Ha, thanks for the heads up. I wonder what MS' reaction to this will be?

meng
January 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM
NY Times article huh? It will probably be criticized by right-wing commentators for compromising national security.

aysiu
January 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
The tips to protect your computer are here (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/technology/07tips.html?_r=1&oref=slogin), and there is no mention of Linux... or Mac, for that matter. They say only
Using a non-Windows-based PC may be one defense against these programs, known as malware

The original article is here (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/technology/07net.html?hp&ex=1168232400&en=60c6afb90ec2af68&ei=5094&partner=homepage) and mentions Linux only in this context:
So far botnets have predominantly infected Windows-based computers, although there have been scattered reports of botnet-related attacks on computers running the Linux and Macintosh operating systems.

MarkID
January 7th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Wow. Thats pretty cool. Did they mention Linux specifically at all?

No. No specific mention of Linux. When I read excerpts from the article aloud at the breakfast table, my family prasied me for my prescience.:KS

MarkID
January 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Ha, thanks for the heads up. I wonder what MS' reaction to this will be?

Vista, of course.

Tomosaur
January 7th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Vista, of course.

Vista was announced before the NY times publically tried to persuade people to not use Windows.

MetalMusicAddict
January 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Vista was announced before the NY times publically tried to persuade people to not use Windows.

Yea. 4 years ago. Still its not really widespread so its still nice to have this opinion out there.

MarkID
January 7th, 2007, 06:58 PM

My comment was tongue in cheek.

StarsAndBars14
January 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Gee, I think Sherlock is gonna be finding the kitty litter box empty about now.

Use an OS other than Windows. Whod'a thunk?

NY Times article huh? It will probably be criticized by right-wing commentators for compromising national security.

I see no reason for this article to have a link to national security simply because it comes from the NY Times. I don't think any of those "commentators" even care about Vista.

Please be a little more mature.