PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever noticed how the default KDE 3 theme has a weird scroll bar?

Quillz
January 7th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Maybe it's just me, but one thing that annoys me about the default theme of KDE 3 is that there are two up arrows on the scroll bar. I've noticed that this "feature" is in KDE 4, too. What's the reasoning behind this, and is there any way to remove it?

slimdog360
January 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
There probably is a way to remove it but if I had to guess the reason its there is so thatyou dont have to move the mouse all the way to the top in order to scroll up.

stimpack
January 7th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I never noticed that before :). It seems like a good idea to me, quicker navigation without having to move the mouse much. Shame I just use the bar instead! :)

Jucato
January 7th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I think the rationale for that feature is that you can use the up button on the scrollbar at the bottom to easily scroll up without having to move your mouse a long distance.

Yes, this seems to be a feature in KDE 3's default style, which is Plastik. There are other styles you can choose from that doesn't have this. In some styles, there's an option to choose which type of scrollbar to use. I think the KDE type is the one with 2 up arrows.

Btw, there is no KDE 4 style yet. What you see in screenshots are KDE 4 apps still using Plastik. There will be a new style, but it's still in the works.

qalimas
January 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I've known about this since I started using KDE. I find it to be a nice feature, especially on non-hp laptops that don't have a mouse attached. (HP Laptops generally have a "scroll-wheel"). The touch pad is a pain to keep moving up and down, having both buttons next to each other is a nifty =)

Bloodfen Razormaw
January 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Faster scrollbar navigation. The only real downside is they don't do both arrows on both ends to save even more time. If you don't like it but you want the Plastik look install Polyester. You can configure the scrollbar style and then set the gradients to Plastik-like and it will be otherwise identical.

P.S. As Jucato said, no one has seen the Qt theme in KDE 4 yet. They announced the start of the new default theme in the Commit Digest on December 24th. The KDE 4 screenshots that have been shown so far are just Qt4 adaptations of KDE 3, still using the Plastik theme used in current versions of KDE by default.

Quillz
January 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I think the rationale for that feature is that you can use the up button on the scrollbar at the bottom to easily scroll up without having to move your mouse a long distance.

Yes, this seems to be a feature in KDE 3's default style, which is Plastik. There are other styles you can choose from that doesn't have this. In some styles, there's an option to choose which type of scrollbar to use. I think the KDE type is the one with 2 up arrows.

Btw, there is no KDE 4 style yet. What you see in screenshots are KDE 4 apps still using Plastik. There will be a new style, but it's still in the works.
Oh, I see. I haven't been keeping up with KDE development, so I actually didn't know a new theme was planned.

darkhatter
January 7th, 2007, 10:57 PM
surprised no one has come in here and said how "terrible" kde is. I never noticed it until you pointed it out, its a cool feature but I use the scroll on my laptop pad and mouse.

ComplexNumber
January 8th, 2007, 12:51 AM
surprised no one has come in here and said how "terrible" kde is. I never noticed it until you pointed it out, its a cool feature but I use the scroll on my laptop pad and mouse.
my lips are sealed.

as for the scrollbar, i never really saw the point of it, its practicality, or its usefulness. maybe i should've thanked the kde devs for saving me 0.0000000000006 joules in moving my mouse up to the top of the scrollbar :p.