PDA

View Full Version : Windows refund the "easy" way.

BuffaloX
January 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I just read this guide on Linux.com on how to get a refund for Windows, if it comes bundled with your new computer.

Technically all that is needed to get a refund, is that you reject the license when prompted, and claim your refund according to the EULA.

In praxis you may have to fight for it a little. But the sweet taste of victory, and some 50$ compensation should make it worth your while.

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/03/227237

I know there already is another thread, but I think this deserves better than being last in another thread.

The other thread by Sunnz links to yet another rather long thread, about a guy who really struggles but eventually gets his refund.
There night be some good lessons there if you have to cope with on of the more stubborn vendors.

This is the other "refund" thread on Ubuntu forums.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=332668

maniacmusician
January 7th, 2007, 12:42 AM
:) I doubt its often that easy...some companies may settle for it, but I think most will still try to argue.

smoker
January 7th, 2007, 12:49 AM
i think in the not-to-distant future there will be no need to ask for a refund. as soon as one manufacturer has done this, as it has been, now a precedent has been set. it is only a matter of time before choice will be available for everyone.

zerhacke
January 7th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Something along these lines was done in the early 90's by quite a few people. IIRC the large group of people went directly to Microsoft, who told them to go to their computer manufacturers to get the refund, who told them to go to Microsoft, who told them to go to...

Also IIRC nobody got a refund, or if they did there were very few people who did.

seijuro
January 7th, 2007, 12:58 AM
:) I doubt its often that easy...some companies may settle for it, but I think most will still try to argue.

agreed, very VERY few companies come even close to the word polite about refunds of any type.

BuffaloX
January 7th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Something along these lines was done in the early 90's by quite a few people. IIRC the large group of people went directly to Microsoft, who told them to go to their computer manufacturers to get the refund, who told them to go to Microsoft, who told them to go to...

Also IIRC nobody got a refund, or if they did there were very few people who did.

The license is very precise, you need to go to where you purchased the computer.
This is also the only logical solution, since your refund is depending on the price and markup the vendor pay/use. (and some honesty). It is the vendor that made the sale, so the return should be made to the vendor. (In Denmark this is law...)

Since early 90's there has been some questioning about MS monopoly, so maybe that's why this clause must be in the EULA. They could have simply stated press accept, or your license is invalid, no refund is possible.
As it stands you have the right to return your windows license by NOT accepting it.

BuffaloX
January 7th, 2007, 02:04 AM

If they refuse, they are disregarding the EULA, and risk losing the right to sell Microsoft products.

Consider this:
If Microsofts own dealers don't respect the EULA, why should users?
You could contact Microsoft, explaining how disrespect from a dealer result in your disrespect, and how you intend to distribute copies of MS software, since the EULA dosn't mean sh.., unless they themselves respect their own license.