PDA

View Full Version : Programs I miss in linux

shanepardue
January 6th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I am 75% complete in Linux. If i had access to programs such as these I would be complete
with my Kubuntu install...

1) Micro$oft Office 2007 - It's revolutionizing ease of use in an office suite. Openoffice is still
not cutting it. Maybe in the future, I hope. When I have to use an office suite in linux, i reach
for Koffice and feel inadequate.

2) Google Talk - Gaim and Kopete are solid programs, but they still don't match the features
and useability of google talk.

3) Cubase - Audacity falls wayy short (period).

Don't get me wrong, I love linux and can easily go without dual-booting at all. I just hope with
KDE 4 or some other enticing attribute of linux, we'll get more software ported to us. Thank
you for your time!

Mateo
January 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM
What features is Openoffice missing that you liked from MS Office? I've been using OOo since before I switched to linux and found it a perfect substitute (since ms office is absurdly expensive). but i'm not a "power user" in office apps. just use the basic features.

google talk might work with Wine, by the way. give it a try.

shanepardue
January 6th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I thought as you did with openoffice until a buddy at work got me 2007 beta and I was impressed.
I have never cared about a Micro$oft product until now. I felt ashamed, but I had to admit it
was much stronger of an app than anything linux has to offer.

Google talk doesn't work with wine or even crossover office, i wish.

GermanFafian
January 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM
For audio check out Energy XT2.
It is still in its first beta stages, but after using XT 1 (win only) for a couple years and knowing what Jörgen (the developer) can do. It will mean a new revolution in Linux.
Now we need more developers to create more Linux native synths :cool:

shanepardue
January 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM
For audio check out Energy XT2.
It is still in its first beta stages, but after using XT 1 (win only) for a couple years and knowing what Jörgen (the developer) can do. It will mean a new revolution in Linux.
Now we need more developers to create more Linux native synths :cool:
Thanks!! I'll check it out!!

beercz
January 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM
For me it's not so much 'miss', but I need to use the following applications at work occasionally, so I have to use windows at the office :-(

AutoCAD
Flash (to create small flash movies)

My home laptop is 100% ubuntu though - no windows on it at all :-)

ComplexNumber
January 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I am 75% complete in Linux. If i had access to programs such as these I would be complete
with my Kubuntu install...

1) Micro$oft Office 2007 - It's revolutionizing ease of use in an office suite. Openoffice is still
not cutting it. Maybe in the future, I hope. When I have to use an office suite in linux, i reach
for Koffice and feel inadequate.

2) Google Talk - Gaim and Kopete are solid programs, but they still don't match the features
and useability of google talk.

Don't get me wrong, I love linux and can easily go without dual-booting at all. I just hope with
KDE 4 or some other enticing attribute of linux, we'll get more software ported to us. Thank
you for your time!
whats this microsoft office that you speak about?

PriceChild
January 6th, 2007, 04:57 PM
patience :)

http://code.google.com/apis/talk/open_communications.html#platform

last line :)

shanepardue
January 6th, 2007, 05:03 PM
whats this microsoft office that you speak about?
Micro$oft Office 2007 beta.

Gustav Nilsson
January 6th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I'm also missing Google Talk in Linux. I read today on the Google Talkabout blog that they have released a client for Windows Vista. Bad that Google thinks that Windows Vista is more important than Linux.

ComplexNumber
January 6th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Micro$oft Office 2007 beta.
i was joking :p. i was just making the point that i can't remember the last time i ever had to use microsoft office.

dorcssa
January 6th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Google talk is like msn?

shanepardue
January 6th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Google talk is like msn?
not at all.

MrHorus
January 6th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Bad that Google thinks that Windows Vista is more important than Linux.

Google are a commercial company, they need to generate revenue and deliver value to their shareholders so clearly they are first going to focus on the product that will help them achieve that goal.

It's unfortunate, but it's the way things work in the commercial sector.

saulgoode
January 6th, 2007, 05:53 PM
... so clearly they are first going to focus on the product that will help them achieve that goal.

I would have thunk that the half-million Linux servers that they use was of some assistance. :p

Seriously, I think Google could do a lot more to support the Linux community which makes their business possible. Yes, they have the Summer of Code (a good thing); but I would also like to see Open Source, Linux-native versions of Google applications, rather than having to run them on WINE.

Mateo
January 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM
isn't the google earth on linux?

BOBSONATOR
January 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I only miss one software, NoteBook hardware controll, it allows you to raise and lower the voltage of your Laptop prossser for extended battery life.

Randomskk
January 6th, 2007, 06:42 PM
What do you mean, google talk has more features?
You can get avatars, file sending, voice chat, all of that with Kopete. What features are you missing?

GermanFafian
January 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks!! I'll check it out!!
Make sure to try the Windows-only version 1 if you can, to have an idea of how the modular enviroment works and how version 2 will be.
And while I am here. I must say I think Linux needs more audio related software like DB poweramp music converter.
It will take some time, but Linux has many factors to become an excellent professional recording-mixing-mastering enviroment.
I wish I knew how to code to start working on some synths and stuff.:mrgreen:

saulgoode
January 6th, 2007, 07:09 PM
isn't the google earth on linux?
My understanding is that the Linux version of Google Earth is basically their Windows version shipped with a customized WINE wrapper. The licensing for the program can be reviewed here (http://earth.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=34344&topic=1151).

Please note that I do not feel Google HAS to release a FOSS version of their programs, IMO, there is nothing wrong with proprietary Linux applications. I just think that, given the fact that Google has deployed around 500,000 Linux servers (the exact number is kept secret), they should have the programming resources, and releasing FOSS versions of programs like Google Earth would be a nice way for them to recognize the contribution that Free Software has made to their enterprise.

maniacmusician
January 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM
My understanding is that the Linux version of Google Earth is basically their Windows version shipped with a customized WINE wrapper. The licensing for the program can be reviewed here (http://earth.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=34344&topic=1151).

Please note that I do not feel Google HAS to release a FOSS version of their programs, IMO, there is nothing wrong with proprietary Linux applications. I just think that, given the fact that Google has deployed around 500,000 Linux servers (the exact number is kept secret), they should have the programming resources, and releasing FOSS versions of programs like Google Earth would be a nice way for them to recognize the contribution that Free Software has made to their enterprise.
The issue isn't them releasing an FOSS version, it's that they release it at all. The only google application so far that has been satisfactorily ported to Linux is Google Earth. And yeah, that was released as a proprietary app in binary form.

I'd like to see their apps ported too, but I don't really care whether they're open source. I prefer that, of course, and that would be better for them as it would result in a better end product, but like you, I'll take a proprietary app over nothing at all.

shanepardue
January 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I agree completely maniacmusician

shearn89
January 10th, 2007, 10:56 PM
mainly i just miss some audio programs - things like Cubase, Reason, and Ableton... I'll have to check out Energy, but at the mo i think i'll stick to making stuff on windows!

dalejefferson
January 10th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Dreamweaver makes life so easy, works great under wine.

I'm almost getting to the point that I don't need a wysiwyg editor so will great rid of it soon.

I find the Gimp and Inkscape to be better than any windows version. The Gimp easier than photoshop and a better name!

It takes a while to fully move away but will soon be 100% free software.

shanepardue
January 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Which dreamweaver version works fine with wine?

G Morgan
January 10th, 2007, 11:30 PM

Picasa runs in its own WINE environment. Google Earth is a QT/OGL app so runs natively on Linux. Easy mistake to make since when Google released Picasa a lot of people ran around as if the sky was falling despite Google providing hundreds of patches to the WINE project in the process.

For audio, try Jokosher. New app that has had decent reviews.

AndyCooll
January 11th, 2007, 01:36 AM
This has been discussed before (very recently), I gave my answer in that:

What do u miss in Linux (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=294880)

:cool:

rev_b
January 11th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I do have Office 2007 installed in my XP VMware machine and I still can't get all the fuss about it. To be honest, for my word processing needs, I find OOo 2.1 more than adequate. I didn't get all that "blue" everywhere, with big buttons on the top, remembering me when I ran Office 95 or so with a 800x600 screen res... I can barely see what's going in in my document. They didn't know what else to do with office, so "let's make it cute". Well, I would prefer a PDF converter out of the box, but maybe it's just me. Anyway, for all my *.doc compatibility problems, I have an old copy of Office XP installed in linux through Crossover, and it works just fine...

I changed to linux only a couple of months ago, but I tend to feel exactly the oposite when I am in Windows - I miss quite a few linux programs... and I can't just apt-get them... :)

dalejefferson
January 11th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Which dreamweaver version works fine with wine?

Dreamweaver 8.0 works out of the box with Edgy.
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3482

Hasn't crashed once in 2 weeks of use. Runs better than under windows!

thisllub
January 11th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Ardour is much better but Jack is an annoying buggy thing that spends half its life crashing.

After seeing how well macs handle music I would go that way.

I still think Windows 98 SE was the best Windows ever.