PDA

View Full Version : I would like to buy an alienware...

piepolitb
January 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Hi! I'm interested in buying an alienware laptop, maybe one of these:

Area 51-M 7700
Aurora m7700
Aurora mALX
Sentia m3450

I'm an Ubuntu supporter so I would like to install ubuntu on my new (in the future) alienware. Have anyone of you some experiences with ubuntu or linux on these laptops?
what does work? waht not? 3d acceleration? beryl? wifi? ecc...

thanks a lot

Giuseppe

P.S. I'm Italian,: if my english is wrong somewhere, please tell me...

taurus
January 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I am going to move this over to the Cafe...

Spr0k3t
January 18th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I'm running Alienware M5500 with no problems so far. Personally, if Dell hadn't purchased Alienware, I would consider buying another laptop from them.

Sandlst
January 18th, 2007, 06:42 AM
M 7700 here. edgy doesnt like the harddrive controller, but it looks like fiesty does; in the meantime im stuck with dapper (or fiesty) but that is thus far the only problem.

Also, if you are looking for a mobile laptop instead of a "laptop" desktop replacement, I would strongly recommend NOT looking at the m 7700. Heat/weight problems and almost insignificant battery life makes it good if you want a more mobile desktop though.

spockrock
January 18th, 2007, 08:25 AM
umm.....I personally think alienware products are completely overpriced, but I think you might have better then good odds of running beryl as long as the gpu is an intel, nvidia or ati gpu.

I'm running Alienware M5500 with no problems so far. Personally,
if Dell hadn't purchased Alienware, I would consider buying another laptop from them.

you do realize that even though dell bought them, they are still completely independent of dell right??

Spr0k3t
January 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM
you do realize that even though dell bought them, they are still completely independent of dell right??

Yup, I know... but their support system is not absolutely horrid by comparison in the day. "Need tech support... sure... first install the operating system that came with your computer and wipe everything clean."

That is if you can understand them.

rabid emu
January 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Gaming laptops (mobile desktop replacements) = Sager ftw. I have no idea about linux compatibility with Sagers though.

Polygon
January 24th, 2007, 08:03 AM
hmm... i hear that alienware products are wayyyy overpriced for what you get... but if you really want it...

Spr0k3t
January 27th, 2007, 03:58 AM
hmm... i hear that alienware products are wayyyy overpriced for what you get... but if you really want it...

Overpriced are the fragbooks from http://Falcon-NW (http://www.falcon-nw.com/). The Alienware laptops are pretty expensive. The laptop I got was specced out pretty good, and cheaper than the same config from HP at the time.