PDA

View Full Version : how do you test your max connection speed?

weatherman
January 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Hi, I just switched from a 1000Mb dsl to a 6000Mb dsl contract, but for now I hardly noticed any difference. Is there any way to test if the new settings are already enabled?
thanks, ~weatherman

ssam
January 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM
if you do a search for bandwidth meter you should find a few.

if you really mean 6000Mb, then you might have trouble finding somewhere who as a connection fast enough to feed data to you at your full speed (a network is only as fast as its weakest link). maybe a time a download from a fast nearby university based ftp site, at a non peak time.

xyz
January 6th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Here's one way to do it but I'm sure there's some on-line way to measure it:
Bandwidth meter (http://www.linux.com/howtos/Querying-libiptc-HOWTO/bmeter.shtml)

8oluf7
January 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM
My ISP (PlusNet) provides a bandwidth speed tester as part of the user's tools. I used it on a daily basis after being given a free upgrade from 2MB to 8MB. I would have thought that your ISP would have a similar tool, but where they've hidden it I've no idea (PlusNet put it under 'Connection Settings').

BTW my '8MB' has never risen above 3MB. The excuse is 'distance from the exchange'.

mips
January 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hi, I just switched from a 1000Mb dsl to a 6000Mb dsl contract, but for now I hardly noticed any difference.

I'm sure my ISP would like to rent part of your 6000Mb pipe. Hell i could run my entire town on that pipe.

jdhore
January 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.speedtest.net

shining
January 6th, 2007, 03:38 PM
1000 MB ? 6000 MB ? wtf
MB means Mega Bytes, right ? Not kilo bit ? lol
I'm very happy to have a 1,2 MB (10 megabit) connection at home, and right now, I've a 6O kB (512 kilobit) connection.

0MG
February 16th, 2007, 04:44 AM
1.21 gigawatts

dannyboy79
February 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM
well I am guessing that his ISP is providing 6000 megaBITS not 6000 megabytes which is what file size are measured in and even that is UBSURD because that would equate to 750 megabytes per second!!! Time Warner Road Runner Cable (this is cable now, NOT DSL which is slower) doesn't even have this high of a download plan for their business class people. Their highest business class download rate is 8M, the website doesn't state what the M stands for but normal unit of measure for bandwidth is measured in bits, NOT bytes like data is normally measured. See here:
megabit
Abbreviated mbit. Usually 1,048,576 binary digits or bits of data. Often used as equivalent to 1 million bits. Megabits per second
A measurement of the amount of information moving across a network or communications link in one second, measured in multiples of 1,048,576 bits.

megabyte
Usually 1,048,576 bytes. Megabytes are a common way of representing computer memory or hard-disk capacity

Ive seen some1 actually measure a T3 line at work by going to dslreport.com and get results of 6.4megaBYTES as the downlaod and 1.4megaBYTES as the upload.

SO needless to say, if your ISP told you there giving you 6000 mb, they are LIEING!!!!!!! I am guessing it's 6000 kiloBITS, which is around 750 kiloBYTES which is normal dsl speed I believe. I have cable broadband from Time Warner, they claim they're providing me a 5megabits down and 2.5megabits up. but in reality I am getting around 2.73megabits download and around .31 megabits upload.

sloggerkhan
February 16th, 2007, 03:13 PM
yeah, I always get confused because of bits vs. bytes

mips
February 16th, 2007, 03:21 PM
yeah, I always get confused because of bits vs. bytes

In future try this. A byte is bigger than a bit thus the byte is capitol B and bit is small b.

OrangeCrate
February 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Is there any way to test if the new settings are already enabled?

Speakeasy is highly regarded, and is often used by techs in the field to check connection speeds. Here's a link:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

OrangeCrate
February 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM
BTW my '8MB' has never risen above 3MB. The excuse is 'distance from the exchange'.

That's a "cop out" from your provider. A common reason that you are not able to maximize your connection, is that your computer was not originally setup to handle your new bandwidth. (It was probably set up for a dial-up modem.)

Think of a drinking straw. The size of the straw will determine how much liquid you get, no matter how big the glass is. You need a bigger straw...

Here is a link to a tool (TCP Optimizer) that will configure your machine to handle that additional bandwidth. Unfortunately, it's a windows tool, and probably won't be much help to you unless you're dual booted. But, it certainly works, and most good tech reps know about it, and use it.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

My package is 10 meg down, and 1 meg up. I could not get higher than 4 meg down until I used the tool. I now consistently connect at the advertised speeds *, unless the provider is suffering a slow down, or it's a particularly busy time of the day.

Hope this can help you.

Edit:

* As I type this, the Speakeasy Atlanta server tells me that my download speed is at 10009 kbps, and my current upload speed is 1017 kbps. The Chicago server tells me that my download speed is at 9997 kbps, and my upload speed is 944 kbps.

slimdog360
February 17th, 2007, 02:20 PM
my connection is better, 433129993 joules/sec

OrangeCrate
February 17th, 2007, 02:57 PM
my connection is better, 433129993 joules/sec

Since joules is a measurement of heat, you must have a coal or wood powered computer?