PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu in Turbo Tax commercial?

Phantom784
January 6th, 2007, 04:55 AM
I've seen a commercial for Turbo Tax a couple times, and it looks like this one computer is running Ubuntu. I can't see it very well; but I can distinctly see a brown wallpaper and what looks to be the Gnome taskbar (I use Kubuntu, so I'm not that familiar with Gnome). Has anyone else seen this commercial or noticed this? I'm living in the US by the way, so its probably only US people that could have seen it.

jpeddicord
January 6th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Curious - Why would Ubuntu be in a TurboTax ad, when it is a Windows and Mac only program?

I'm not saying it's not possible, it just seems a little odd to me.

Phantom784
January 6th, 2007, 05:29 AM
It seamed odd to me, too. However, if I recall correctly, when it is shown, they aern't claiming to be using TurboTax. It is the "tax guy" doing taxes the "old way" before they had TurboTax. The client then grabs the mouse and begins doing the taxes on his machine herself.

One reason to explain this would be that they didn't want to be supporting any perticular OS, so they picked an OS than mosn't people wouldn't recoginize, to use like a "generic" OS. They probably chose Ubuntu because it's one of the easiest Linuxes to install.