PDA

View Full Version : Second opinion needed

utabintarbo
January 6th, 2007, 02:55 AM
RE: This post (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1971312#post1971312)

I received the following from matthew:

You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1971312

Reason: Ignoring warnings to express yourself more kindly

[Quote deleted]

Look. I actually agree with your point--that the person you were responding to was talking about a closed system and didn't seem to see that things might be different outside of it. I don't agree with your choosing to use a tone that is belittling, pedantic and trivializing.

You could have very effectively made your point like this. "You know, it's possible that an island society might be both more isolated as well as a place where it is easier to control the flow of guns. It's also likely that your island wasn't founded by people who had weapons from the very beginning and therefore your society wasn't founded with that freedom as a fundamental one so there isn't the issue of taking away something that a large percentage of people have grown accustomed to."

Instead you berated his viewpoint and him for having it which will likely make him feel insulted and defensive. This will not lead to a freer exchange of actual ideas but instead either silence or an explosive outburst of anger are more likely. Rather than tell him to "get his head out of the clouds" you could have encouraged him to consider some facts he has obviously not pondered and may not have actually known.

Maybe my explanations to you are falling on deaf ears. I don't know. In any case I don't want this sort of provocation to be repeated.

I don't have the slightest problem with your opinions. I have a big problem with the way you choose to express them.
-------

This infraction is worth 5 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

There is no expiration for this infraction.

This follows a 10 point infraction for this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1966638#post1966638) post.

Have I been marked in some way?

What, precisely, did I do wrong?

Perhaps it is in my nature as an engineer to keep things pithy. Perhaps my speech is too allegorical (or metaphorical, as the case may be) for this audience. I am sure it is not in my nature to "dumb down" or "pablum"-ize wy writings to pacify the "meek and mild" amongst us. I don't see this as bad.If you wish to eschew any controversy whatsoever, stop posturing, and just close the Backyard. I don't advocate this, but to make it a mere shell of its stated intent does nobody any favors, and is dishonest.

KiwiNZ
January 6th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Thank you for posting this request. We will give this due consideration and get back to as soon as possible.

KiwiNZ
January 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM
You recieved warnings by a number of Forum Staff concerning your posting style and requests to alter.

You also recieved a short infraction that meant meant your posts were subject to moderation. When the period expired you continued to post in the same manner.

Therefore the imposition of further infraction points is inline with Forum Guidlines and will stand.

It is worth noting here that during the time this request has been investigated an attempt to advise and discuss posting style adjustments was made with you in private , you have chosen not to accept this advice.

NOTE those private messages will not be published here.