has_stop_word = 1
break
print has_stop_word
if has_stop_word == 0:
element = [pair[0],flat_string]
fixed_list.apend(element)

except:
continue

the last if statemnt is never verifyed nor when has_stop_word=1 nor when it equals to zero.

I suspect is some variable type unmatching. I read somewhere that the if var == number syntax is not so pythoninc...

does anybody knows why is that if statement failing all the time?

Lord Illidan
January 6th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Ok this is one of the things the C programmers should be asking all the time

Here is the problem:

for pair in pairs:
has_stop_word = 0
pair[1].decode
try:
flat_string=unescape(pair[1])
low_string=flat_string.lower()
for stop_word in stop_words:
if stop_word in low_string:
has_stop_word = 1
break
print has_stop_word
if has_stop_word == 0:
element = [pair[0],flat_string]
fixed_list.apend(element)

except:
continuethe last if statemnt is never verifyed nor when has_stop_word=1 nor when it equals to zero.

I suspect is some variable type unmatching. I read somewhere that the if var == number syntax is not so pythoninc...

does anybody knows why is that if statement failing all the time?

the if statement is correct...is that the full program or an excerpt?

Mirrorball
January 6th, 2007, 03:02 AM
If it's never verified, it must be because the loop is broken every time or an exception is thrown. No? Why don't you add an "else: print something" to that if and see what happens?

pmasiar
January 6th, 2007, 04:44 AM
I read somewhere that the if var == number syntax is not so pythoninc...

if var == number is pythonic enough :-) What is unpythonic is if boolean_var == 0: -- because it is same thing as if boolean_var:

0 is false, non-zero is true. So you can use more easy to read if has_stop_word:

IMHO in your code you work way too hard for python programmer- codesmell that you write it in C over python. Do you need to create element with flat_string? Why not create a function returning 0/1? Instead of has_stop_word and break you can just return 1 or return 0 in proper place as my solution in previous thread about this issue (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=331589). Or am I missing something?

pedrotuga
January 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM
If it's never verified, it must be because the loop is broken every time or an exception is thrown. No? Why don't you add an "else: print something" to that if and see what happens?

I did that... and i found out an exeption was being thrown. It's the first time i use exeption handling and i am pretty new to python. It's pretty cool to have control over the program execution in error situations, but i learned that it's not so good idea to wrap big fragments of code within a try:... excpet: block. Basically if a syntax or other error ocur within one of those, it can get prety hard to find out where was it as the whole thing failed.

The problem was: i wrote apend instead of append. Because of the reason mentioned above i had trouble finding the error

IMHO in your code you work way too hard for python programmer- codesmell that you write it in C over python. Do you need to create element with flat_string? Why not create a function returning 0/1? Instead of has_stop_word and break you can just return 1 or return 0 in proper place as my solution in previous thread about this issue. Or am I missing something?

You defenatly are right, i tryed a thousand diferente stuff to find the problem and in the end didnt went and clean up the mess. It's a lot of unecessary code.
This will be used with about 400 string against 7 or 8 stopwords, so, according on the other topic on this simple loop is prefered.
About wrapping the stopword match in a function... that's prety much the same, i would call it only once anyway.

Mirrorball
January 6th, 2007, 08:45 PM
i learned that it's not so good idea to wrap big fragments of code within a try:... excpet: block. Basically if a syntax or other error ocur within one of those, it can get prety hard to find out where was it as the whole thing failed.
Always catch a specific exception type, not all of them.

pedrotuga
January 6th, 2007, 10:09 PM
That does not appear to be enough per se.
Whenever a big fragment of code is wraped in a try...exception block, the error can e basically in all the code.
Anyway, thanks for the advice