PDA

View Full Version : alienware customer support

WildTangent
May 10th, 2005, 04:26 AM
do any of you here have any experience dealing with alienware customer service? i am seriously considering getting one of their area-51m mobile gaming laptops, but after reading a couple different stories about HORRENDOUS customer support issues, im having second thoughts :| if someone here has had any experiences with alienware, good or bad, id like to hear about it

PS-sorry if this is off-topic

-Wild

somuchfortheafter
May 10th, 2005, 01:08 PM
well here is my thing about them
customer support sucks, the best i have found is with toshiba. I called them, wasnt treated like an idiot, they told me one thing to try, it worked, end of call.
get nvidia if at all possible if you are thinking about putting linux on it
and avoid raid at all costs on their laptops.

WildTangent
May 10th, 2005, 01:29 PM
well, i wouldnt be so worried about bad customer service if i dont need to use it. do they break down often?

-Wild

poofyhairguy
May 11th, 2005, 12:42 AM
if someone here has had any experiences with alienware, good or bad, id like to hear about it

Don't buy Alienware. They charge a lot for their name. All Laptops in the U.S. (maybe not IBMs but thats it) are all made by like two companies in Asia. Why pay more for one brand of laptop that comes from the exact same source as cheaper ones? I mean, unless you like the paint job or something.

In my personal experiance, the best laptops for the money (as in don't cost a lot because they are all the same) are Toshibas and Sagers. When one of my friend wanted an Alienware I hit him with a clue stick and he got a Sager instead that he is REALLY happy with. (he should have been, it was the EXACT same laptop Alienware sold for $400 less)

Here is a link to a company that sells them:

http://www.pctorque.com/

I don't get any money or nothing from this so don't think I'm trying to sucker you. Its just that I would HATE to see another person blow money on an overpriced Alienware. They built up a good name in gaming circles like 3-5 years ago with good products and service and they have been resting on that ever since. Don't pay their tax.

garnertr
May 11th, 2005, 12:46 AM
I have the laptop and let me tell you, its sweet, its fast, but do you need it? Your paying more for the NAME than anything else, look about there are many many other laptops that do the same thing for a heck of a lot less.

ALSO, if you wipe the OS and install another, you will not be able to use customer support, all of their latops are preinstalled w/ Windows and there is NOT an alternative.

octothorpe
May 11th, 2005, 12:54 AM
well i have an alienware, its a good machine. I tried to install ubuntu to my raid array (yes a raid in a laptop) and it didnt work and screwed my mbr, i then used the alien respawn kit to restore it. the kit was defective. since i have little patience, dad called up alienware and they helped him get all the drivers and etc and set up my laptop. they were pretty nice about it and so far ive had good experience. my laptop is the 7700, and yes it was quite expensive.

WildTangent
May 11th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Here is a link to a company that sells them:

http://www.pctorque.com/
i am SO glad you linked me to that! IT IS THE EXACT SAME! only with a different case. however, i do like the alienware case, but there are sites that sell the panel peices for alienware laptops, i can just buy a full set and make it look like the alienware. however, another thing about alienware, their systems are optimized and tuned to work near perfectly, so id be missing out on that, but for the money id save, its worth having a little less performance.

EDIT: after reading the page, ive discovered that the Sager one is more expensive, at least from PCTorque. the prices listed are in US dollars, im Canadian. with the exchange, im better off buying from alienware

EDIT2: now i KNOW i am definately better off with alienware. ive just configured the system, and its roughly $2300US whereas the alienware was $2400CA and the alienware has an OS, and international warranty, and they have all the same hardware. i have read many bad stories about alienwares customer service, but if i can get a system from them, cheaper, and better looking, then i say to hell with the service. ill void my own warranty to fix it if i have to, i know i can, ive fixed many laptops before.

@octothorpe, hows the battery life, i hear they only last about an hour :?

EDIT3: hmm ive already discovered their rudeness, and i havent even ordered:

Jose L.: Hi, my name is Jose L.. How may I help you?
Justin: I've discovered your dirty little secret ;) the Area-51m 7700 is really a Sager 9860. Do I get a discount if i keep silent? :P
Jose L.: No
Jose L. Has Disconnected
i knew i wouldnt get a discount, but that was a little rude

-Wild

poofyhairguy
May 11th, 2005, 01:50 AM
The most important thing is that you do a little research and not buy a name. You seem to be doing that. Good luck~!