PDA

View Full Version : VNC In Ubuntu CE

runkidrun
January 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I would really like to install a VNC program so I can help my friends...Right now I really don't have a preference of which VNC program anyone suggests....I just cannot find any VNC programs in the "ADD/REMOVE" pane or even any .deb packages on the internet. I know people have got it running before...but how?

meng
January 5th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Sounds like you need to read a tutorial on how to install software in general:
www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

That said (please do read it, that way you won't waste your time as you've already done)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNCOverSSH

wiki.ubuntu.com is a great place to find stuff.

runkidrun
January 5th, 2007, 05:54 PM
O.K. Your site says that I can install .rpm's which I thought only worked on other distros. That's good. So I found a VNC program called tightvnc. I found three rpm packages. One says "RedHat 7.x" and the other just says "source rpm" what should I choose?

runkidrun
January 5th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Oh, wait...I just read the other link....So I don't have to install any packages? It's there already in the base system?

meng
January 5th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Installing rpm is a last resort, I would not recommend it. Installing from the official Ubuntu repositories should always be the first option. Enable extra repositories (multiverse/universe) here's a guide to that:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Repositories/Ubuntu

If you really want a tightvnc client, you could try:
sudo aptitude install xtightvncviewer

Note that although you may be using UbuntuCE, your question is not specific to the Christian edition, and in future you should consider posting your questions to a wider audience.

runkidrun
January 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I don't want to set up a server..just use a viewer...but am I correct in thinking that I could just use the terminal server client for that purpose as suggested in that link you gave me?

meng
January 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM
If you really want a tightvnc client, you could try:
sudo aptitude install xtightvncviewer
This looks like a viewer. Have your friends got a VNC server set up on their computers?

stalker145
January 5th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I don't want to set up a server..just use a viewer...but am I correct in thinking that I could just use the terminal server client for that purpose as suggested in that link you gave me?

If you do not want to set up a server and are connecting to another computer that already has VNC or some other similar software running, all you need to do is type into the terminal
vncviewer xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxwhere the x is the IP address of the machine you are trying to connect to.

On the other hand, if you wish to set up a server on Ubuntu, it's as easy as going to Preferences->Login (I believe), choosing remote login, and setting the applicable boxes on that screen. I'm not at my Ubuntu box now (I'm on Windows at work](*,) ) so I may be mistaken, but it's there.

runkidrun
January 5th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all your help. I will be testing out the terminal method shortly...

qalimas
January 5th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Applications > Internet > Terminal Server Client

It is a VNC Viewer if I am not mistaken.