PDA

View Full Version : Programming Help

overcast
January 5th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Hi,
I'm learning to program in C++,I have done some of the basic programs and i think in order to get the grip over the language,i need to develop program GUI in C++.That puts questions in mind as Which tool to use to develop GUI based programs.

I tried some of these editors

- Borland C++ builder 6 Personal Edition,but left as there is very little tuts/howtos/docs available on the internet for it, (If you know any good place then pls let me know).It is also hard to learn.

- Dev-C++ was OK but needs to learn MFC/VC++ in order to create some cool stuff,its also less documented,less effective.

- Visual Basic,works fine but i can't create program to show my work over friends who use non-microsoft platform.

So what i need is a IDE/program that lets me create the GUI using C++,that have atleast few tutorials on the internet or documentation.
Anybody knows about the wxwidgets.org 's IDE opr the wxwidgets?

Chickencha
January 5th, 2007, 09:32 PM
If you haven't done a decent amount of programming console applications, then you'll probably have trouble with GUI applications. This isn't always the case (especially if you have experience with other languages), but it often is. I know console applications don't look as nice, but it's the simple truth. Learn to walk before you run, etc.

moma
January 5th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Hello,
Code::Blocks IDE is what you are looking for. It's based on the excellent wxWidgets GUI library and has of course a strong support for it.

Here are the installation instructions
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1962696#post1962696 Go for it & you will not look back.

Study also the "Development tools" section at the bottom of this.... (http://www.futuredesktop.org/) page ;-)

Mithrilhall
January 5th, 2007, 09:40 PM
KDevelop?

Tomosaur
January 5th, 2007, 11:02 PM
A ward of warning - GUI programming is very complex. If you're still learning, stick to command line programs until you're very comfortable before making the jump to GUI stuff. Even basic things tend to require lots of reading and figuring out.