PDA

View Full Version : You got a saying?

poofyhairguy
May 10th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Do you have a motto, a poem, a song, a saying or some sort of creed you like/follow/live by?

Here is mine, made by me many years ago:

I stay happy with who I am. I take pride in being original. I think how I want to, and nobody’s going to change that. Sorry.

I hope to frighten the close-minded. I will show them a world they don’t want to exist. I will not be a simple man with a simple life. It is my choice, my freedom, my contribution.

I regret nothing I have done or will do. A part of me walked down that path on purpose and so the rest might as well follow with a smile. My future will be fixed by balance.

I am a child of the new century. I put my faith in technology. I happily lay my life in the hands of progress. I believe in the future.

I cannot be controlled by another. Any who think that I am in their pocket will find soon that they are not wearing pants. I have no patience for formalities.

I laugh at those who solve a problem with brute force. They will fail in their ambition as the target grows impatient with their incompetence. No one wins the war against time.

I will never learn to live in the moment. My past and my future constantly distract me. The only second I will not count is my last.

I have seen animal outsmart man. I have seen the pious lose faith. I have seen the ignorant be admired. I have seen detriment for pleasure. I have seen children sell vice to adults.

Yet I love the world and its people. In apathy I find tolerance. In tolerance I find the truth. I give the truth to all who reject it. In rejection I will find piece.

kassetra
May 10th, 2005, 03:42 AM
I have one -

do no harm.

:)

Brunellus
May 10th, 2005, 07:45 AM
someone's going to go ahead and quote Horace, Odes I.xi--"Carpe diem, quam minima credula postero" But I always preferred the image that came before that (overquoted) line:

Seu pluris hiemes seu tribuit Iuppiter ultimam,
quae nunc oppositis debilitat pumicibus mare
Tyrrhenum, sapias, uina liques et spatio breui
spem longam reseces.

In English (very roughly):

Perhaps Jupiter has granted you many winters, or perhaps your last
Now exhausts itself on the Tyrhennian Sea
washing up against the opposing cliffs. Be wise, pour out the wine,
And in this brief moment, abandon all your distant hopes.

kumakun
May 10th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I've got one attached to my e-mail's as a sig.

"Treason is a charge invented by winners as an excuse for hanging the losers."
~Benjamin Franklin

/Kuma

benplaut
May 10th, 2005, 09:15 AM
"You can't hurt it, so, go ahead! Try and break it!"
-My Dad

he told me that when we got our first modern (Win 95) computer, and i live by that rule when working with computers http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_whistle.gif

for my non computer life i live by

wait...

i don't have a non-computer life :^o

jeremy
May 10th, 2005, 11:26 AM
The fact of the instability of evil is the moral order in the world.

&

You can't have your cake and eat it.

nocturn
May 10th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Nocturns laws of life (both online and offline):

# If something looks too good to be true, it usually is.
# Trust, but verify
# Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly. (Henry Spencer)
# The true science teaches above all to doubt.
# I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
# The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
# Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. (Sherlock Holmes)

az
May 10th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Don't panic.

XDevHald
May 10th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Don't panic.
It's just a computer virus, it's not like it'll get you when you touch the mouse

-From me to my Aunt and her newbish ways :p

TravisNewman
May 10th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Try everything twice except incest and illegal drugs.

somuchfortheafter
May 10th, 2005, 01:05 PM
whatever floats your boat or finds your lost remote

joudbren
May 10th, 2005, 03:06 PM
"I find being paranoid is just common sense if everyone is out to get you."

James 8-)

nocturn
May 10th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Don't panic.

A reference to the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy?

weekend warrior
May 10th, 2005, 03:34 PM
It's a little dated and clichéd, very small with just 4 words and pretty simple but oh so tough to master. I reckon if you can you'll be set for life.

Don't worry, be happy :grin:

jwb
May 10th, 2005, 03:42 PM
- If you ain't the lead sled dog, the scenery never changes.

- Early bird gets the worm. Look what the early worm gets.

- Forgive your enemies. It messes with their heads.

- Don't wrestle with pigs. You'll get all muddy, and the pigs'll love it.

- Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled.

- Sweep your own porch. Let others tend to theirs.

- Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

dataw0lf
May 10th, 2005, 03:49 PM
hmmm. Great question. I can't really embody how I live with just a saying, but if you read this (http://bofh.ntk.net/Bastard.html) you'll get a pretty good idea.

"How did y.." He clicks. "It's you isn't it? THE BASTARD OPERATOR FROM HELL!"

Ahhhh. Yes, yes indeed.

Stormy Eyes
May 10th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I have a few:

"Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven."

"Don't try to lead me. Don't follow me. Don't ever get in my way."

"If you want it done your way, do it yourself."

paul cooke
May 10th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I want never gets...
If you don't ask, you'll never get...
and sometimes, you've got to go and do it first, then tell them you've done it...

gil-galad
May 10th, 2005, 05:43 PM
"If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."

I say that way too much.

gw90se
May 10th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Life should not be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up,
totally worn out,
and proclaiming ....

DAMN--What A Ride!!

bigzak
May 10th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Don't worry, be happy :grin:

That's similar to mine, but I tend to live my life by:

"Don't worry, be silly!"

I also like:

"I want a dollar bill and a million unmarked helicopters on the roof in ten minutes!"

primeirocrime
May 10th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Ni Dieu ni maître

Monchy
May 10th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Mine would be "no worries"

carlc
May 16th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.

Oh, so that is how hell works. I had always imagined Satan as a bit selfish and controlling. ;-)

Stormy Eyes
May 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Oh, so that is how hell works. I had always imagined Satan as a bit selfish and controlling. ;-)

And I thought that Satan was big, red, gay, and had a good singing voice. But as my wife will say, I watch too much South Park.

Kimm
May 16th, 2005, 02:48 PM
"Pessimists, we're told, look at a glass containing 50% air and 50% water and see it as half empty. Optimists, in contrast, see it as half full. Engineers, of course, understand the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."
- Bob Lewis

And what I follow when I am programming:

"Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."
- Michael Sinz

(to a bit Anti Microsoftish, Bill Gates must be a very lucky man ;) )

oddabe19
May 16th, 2005, 04:29 PM
One that never fails.

Krusty: WHO ORDERED THE STEAMED GENTILE?
Homer: mmmmmm.... steamed gentile.

And one of the best Star Trek quotes ever.
Picard: "Data what's going on in engineering?"
Data: "A very peculiar Limmerick... 'One there was was this woman from Venus who's head was shaped like a p....'
Picard (interupting): "NUMBER ONE...."

from the teochovski virus episode (one of the best 1st season ones, 3rd episode i think)

Bob D.
May 16th, 2005, 05:29 PM
From Norm in 'Cheers':

"It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing Milkbone (http://www.milkbone.com/) underwear."

Norm's response after walking into the bar and Cliff asks him "How's it going?"

I use this one all the time...never fails to get a smile out of the person asking. Of course, this onlys works if the person asking knows about Milkbone's. :)

Bob

sonny
May 17th, 2005, 02:10 AM
I live by the murphy's laws, everyone of them, but here are some of my favorites:

1.- If something can go wrong, it will.
2.- If it hasn't go wrong, be pattient.
3.- When all fails, read the intructions.
4.- Sex is dirty only if it's done right.
5.- The line you're in will be the slowest, if you change lines then the one you came from will move faster.

There's a lot of murphy's laws added through the years, and now there are categories for some of them... some for computer:

1.- The hard drive on your computer will only crash when it contains vital information that has not been backed up.
2.- A working program is one that has only unobserved bugs.
3.- Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user.
4.- Bugs will appear in one part of a working program when another 'unrelated' part is modified.
The subtlest bugs cause the greatest damage and problems.
Corollary - A subtle bug will modify storage thereby masquerading as some other problem.

You can go here (http://www.geocities.com/murphylawsite/index.html) and here (http://dmawww.epfl.ch/roso.mosaic/dm/murphy.html) to find more laws about how things can go wrong.

The moral of all this laws is that if you can't avoid something to go wrong; and if you know your laws, then you must be prepared. And also take advantage when the laws are apply to someone else.

bored2k
May 17th, 2005, 02:21 AM
In God we trust.

harryc
May 17th, 2005, 02:37 AM
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
-Albert Einstein

carlc
May 17th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Here are some sayings that I like:

Treat others the way that you would want them to treat you (aka the Golden Rule, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you).

I also like:

Begin with the End in Mind
Put First Things First

which are taken from “THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE” by Stephen Covey.

All of the sayings are simple but seem to make a difference when you practice them.

bored2k
May 17th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Here are some sayings that I like:

Treat others the way that you would want them to treat you (aka the Golden Rule, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you).

I also like:

Begin with the End in Mind
Put First Things First

which are taken from “THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE” by Stephen Covey.

All of the sayings are simple but seem to make a difference when you practice them.
Those remind me of these trick I was thought to know when I should and should not talk:

1. Is it good ? if so,
2. Is it important ? if so,
3. Is it necessary ?

angrylittleman
May 17th, 2005, 03:05 AM
My favorite:

"I got game like I read the directions."

--Boots from The Coup

CyberHobo
May 17th, 2005, 06:20 PM
On my honor I will do my best to serve myself and cheat the rest. ;-)

Stormy Eyes
May 17th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Take no ****, and make no excuses.

Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies.

The best way to keep one's word is not to give it.