PDA

View Full Version : [Shameless plug]Wikipedia article

-Slash-
January 5th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Hi, over at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Windows_and_Linux, we are lacking Linux extremists. Right now, spam it up with meaningful information until we find someone who likes and uses Windows. Please?

Oh, and if you know anyone who likes Windows, please redirect them over there to the article. We can't find any people.

Thanks for your patience.

mykalreborn
January 5th, 2007, 07:08 AM
out of topic:
does anyone see what i see. a good way to make advertising. you get on this forum and you put a catchy title to it and voila. people are going to click your link. hahhaha:twisted: i could make billions.

just kidding. ;) this post is pretty much reated. i'm talking generally.

-Slash-
January 5th, 2007, 07:25 AM
That's true. By the way, check out my new website: http://ubuntu.com

3rdalbum
January 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I don't have a Wikipedia account and I'm too lazy to register for one. But that page says that there's only one window manager available for Windows. This isn't true - there are several derivatives of Blackbox that run on Windows.

EdThaSlayer
January 5th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I never knew that such a article existed. Thanks for the info. Since I don't know much about both Linux and M$ I don't feel like I should edit this article.

gaspar
January 5th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Okaaaaaay...
That worths a laugh. No, really. Everything in Linux make it hard to compare with everything in Windows.
"Windows has several editions", and thatīs ok. "Linux has many distributions, some of which have different editions as well", and thatīs bad.
"instability can be caused by poorly written programs" combined with "Open Source is developed by users for users: oftentimes paid programmers and consultants will modify a program to meet a particular user's need, or users may develop it themselves to meet their needs", makes Open Source sounds like trash.
And, cīmon guys, "Viruses have been written for Windows, many thousand have been propagated", but thatīs ok, because Linux has also some viruses?
So, for the author of this article, I could say: stay on windows. Itīs a matter of choice (as always) and laziness.
For us, donīt bother; weīve seen it before, and weīll keep reading more and more articles like that.
Now, let me get back to my Windows workstation here @ office - guess what, found a virus! :mrgreen:

-Slash-
January 6th, 2007, 04:22 AM
I don't have a Wikipedia account and I'm too lazy to register for one. But that page says that there's only one window manager available for Windows. This isn't true - there are several derivatives of Blackbox that run on Windows.

You don't need an account.

And yeah, the article kinda sucks right now. That's why I'm trying to get someone who knows what they're talking about to come.

Engnome
January 6th, 2007, 04:37 AM
You don't need an account.

And yeah, the article kinda sucks right now. That's why I'm trying to get someone who knows what they're talking about to come.

Scrolling through that article makes it feel like the "The neutrality of this article is disputed." warning is justified. No point in making it even more so.

BTW nice website!

Edit: reading the talk page it seems as the article was considered for deletion :evil: If we bias it even more maybe it will be deleted, we can't have that. People trust wikipedia, link to that page and people will surely fall in love with Linux! It mustn't be deleted for the sake of our future and our childrens future!

/sarkasm O:)

Edit2: Lol at the "Juicy Info" section in the talk page. If you are being sarcastic/ironic/whatever it would be good if you were a little more clear about it. BTW where are you going to find "windows fans" I've never encountered such a creature before.

-Slash-
January 6th, 2007, 05:50 AM
No, really. We need someone who is skilled at Linux and someone skilled at Windows to duke it out. Our article is **** at the present.

And don't worry, after you make it immensely POV, someone else will come in. We're not interested in making them seem equal, we're interested in presenting all the facts. We already know which OS is going to win. =)

Hey, I just found the creature I'm looking for! A rare specimen. http://z4.invisionfree.com/Enigma31416/index.php?showtopic=487&st=0&#entry12018367
I'm not sure if I should post the link, though...

Bloodfen Razormaw
January 6th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Hi, over at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...dows_and_Linux, we are lacking Linux extremists. Right now, spam it up with meaningful information until we find someone who likes and uses Windows. Please?
I like how you are blatantly telling people to vandalize a valuable resource for the public. And by that I mean you sicken me. Ten seconds of reading that article suggests that those of you who are spamming it (if indeed there is anyone other than the vandal who started this thread who is obscene enough to do so) have the technical knowledge of two-year-old children, and are slightly less coherent.

If we bias it even more maybe it will be deleted
It should be deleted anyway. It doesn't serve even the slightest purpose, and as is a large majority of the information on both Windows and Linux is remarkably inaccurate, not to mention completely infested with opinions, conjecture, and an apparent aversion to citation (as if you could cite opinion or conjecture). The article reads like a post from a Myspace user. It is laughable that Wikipedia did not delete this a long time ago.

-Slash-
January 6th, 2007, 06:11 AM
...You need to read up more. I'm telling people to insert more meaningful information on the topic, not vandalize the place. Seriously, the information is lacking. I found nothing talking about the secondary and primary partitions, little programs, and extreme bias. BEFORE you edit anything major and controversial (ie adding, um, a minor program in or something) you should discuss your proposed edit on the talk page.

Most of the article is biased and filled with horrible grammar. "Accessibility and Usability" is strongly anti-Windows (Not necessary inherent usability, however.) while the backwards compatibility topic in "Games" is really pro-Windows. (Psh, DirectX? What nonsense.)

-Slash-
January 6th, 2007, 06:13 AM
It should be deleted anyway. It doesn't serve even the slightest purpose, and as is a large majority of the information on both Windows and Linux is remarkably inaccurate, not to mention completely infested with opinions, conjecture, and an apparent aversion to citation (as if you could cite opinion or conjecture). The article reads like a post from a Myspace user. It is laughable that Wikipedia did not delete this a long time ago.

Don't be arrogant - do your research first. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Comparison_of_Windows_and_Linux

And if you think it's junk, why don't you help fix it?

Bloodfen Razormaw
January 6th, 2007, 04:28 PM
...You need to read up more. I'm telling people to insert more meaningful information on the topic, not vandalize the place. Seriously, the information is lacking. I found nothing talking about the secondary and primary partitions, little programs, and extreme bias. BEFORE you edit anything major and controversial (ie adding, um, a minor program in or something) you should discuss your proposed edit on the talk page.
Which you contradicted by stating that you want "Linux extremists" to "spam" the page. i.e. Vandalize it.

Most of the article is biased and filled with horrible grammar. "Accessibility and Usability" is strongly anti-Windows (Not necessary inherent usability, however.) while the backwards compatibility topic in "Games" is really pro-Windows. (Psh, DirectX? What nonsense.)
The premise here is that usability is relevant to Linux, which isn't even an OS. I think most people would find a kernel alone quite difficult to use. Also, games aren't even relevant to the discussion, as they are not related to the technical capabilities of the OS. Except DirectX, which of course you seem to think is not, since it actually relates to the development platform.

And if you think it's junk, why don't you help fix it?
Fixing it is deleting it. There is no place on Wikipedia for an article which is based entirely on opinion. There isn't even the slightest discussion of objective technical facts, and there is no reason for an article comparing them even if it did. Next you will come in here telling us to spam an article comparing Solaris and ITRON... :rolleyes:

PriceChild
January 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I'm closing this thread.

If you wish to talk further about the page in question, please visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Comparison_of_Windows_and_Linux