PDA

View Full Version : Linux for Grandma

esaym
January 5th, 2007, 03:49 AM
I have been talking myself in and out of installing ubuntu on my grandma's computer. The motherboard it going bad on it and windows blue screens with the new motherboard installed so I need to install something on it. My choice it either an older win2000 pro cd I got or linux.

I would love to do kubuntu. The main problem is that she has a digi cam and it needs to be set so that when she plugs it in that it will automatically download the pics into a self-dated folder. I use kde, does gnome have that feature? The next problem is that she loves to play solitaire. Right now she has solsuite (http://www.solsuite.com/). I think she likes it so much just because of all the different styles of games on it and she likes to learn a new one every now and then. Would wine be able to run it? If not are then any native games like it? Remember, every thing needs be on the desktop and executable with the mouse. No command lines for granny!

What do yall think?

teaker1s
January 5th, 2007, 03:59 AM
if the camera is seen as a mass storage device then gnome will see it and ask to import photo's.
you can also right click desktop panel and add disk mounter that makes mounting and ejecting just a click. my grandparents now have a netgear router and wireless edgy desktop:mrgreen: they get on well with it compared to WIN ME

also if you install ubuntu and either apt-get or synaptic install "kde" you will retain gnome ubuntu with the option of a kde session at login;)

Dr. C
January 5th, 2007, 04:05 AM
I have been talking myself in and out of installing ubuntu on my grandma's computer. The motherboard it going bad on it and windows blue screens with the new motherboard installed so I need to install something on it. My choice it either an older win2000 pro cd I got or linux.

I would love to do kubuntu. The main problem is that she has a digi cam and it needs to be set so that when she plugs it in that it will automatically download the pics into a self-dated folder. I use kde, does gnome have that feature? The next problem is that she loves to play solitaire. Right now she has solsuite (http://www.solsuite.com/). I think she likes it so much just because of all the different styles of games on it and she likes to learn a new one every now and then. Would wine be able to run it? If not are then any native games like it? Remember, every thing needs be on the desktop and executable with the mouse. No command lines for granny!

What do yall think?

Does solsuite work with WINE? I would download the trail and install it under WINE, chances are it will work. unless there is some strange DRM. If you get it to work. Then you can install it on her system running ubuntu or kubuntu.

jimrz
January 5th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Right now she has solsuite (http://www.solsuite.com/). I think she likes it so much just because of all the different styles of games on it and she likes to learn a new one every now and then. Would wine be able to run it? If not are then any native games like it? Remember, every thing needs be on the desktop and executable with the mouse. No command lines for granny!

What do yall think?

take a look at "ace-of-penguins" ... it's in the universe repo for both dapper + edgy

teaker1s
January 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM
guessing it should I've found that wine seems to have best compatibility with 2000/nt in winecfg for most things.because it's compatible with 98 thru to xp as long as it doesn't request any unusual windows features it should run. if not it can still be made to run 80% of the time by providing the required files to wine

comand line is only for fiddling in my book, my grandparents get on fine with gnome

seijuro
January 5th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Pysol is also a really tight set of solitaire games also includes sounds and music if you install the sounds and sound server packages with it also it has an extra card sets graphic package as well.

Sef
January 5th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Pysol is also a really tight set of solitaire games

Pysol is great. Over 200 versions of solitaire. Some are easy to win :mrgreen: , some aren't](*,) .

Mateo
January 5th, 2007, 04:38 AM
solsuite does work with wine (for me at least). not sure about the cam issue.

Johnsie
January 5th, 2007, 05:22 AM
If you boot up with the desktop/live cd you'll have a good idea of how the cam will work when ubuntu is installed. Bear in mind that the live cd runs alot slower than a full install though.

grte
January 5th, 2007, 06:12 AM
AisleRiot Solitair which comes default with Ubuntu has tonnes of different solitaire games.

kerry_s
January 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I know the feeling man, i'm setting up a laptop for grandma. I ran her through several live cd's and let her pick which one she felt most comfortable with. She picked PCLnuxOS minime version because it was the least cluttered, she didn't like the clutter of big daddy and didn't like the feeling of the *ubuntu's. So any way's i would say keep it simple, do some cleaning on the menu, hide apps she would never use and put the same things on the panel as you put on the desktop, yes they multi task too & find it easier to click on the panel then using the "show desktop" icon to find the other icons. Don't forget to make the icons large enough to click on, my grandmas got a shaky hand so her clicks need room. ;)

esaym
January 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Well thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to look into this.

Mateo
January 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM
AisleRiot Solitair which comes default with Ubuntu has tonnes of different solitaire games.

i'm 24 and can barely see the tiny cards with aisleriot. Probably wouldn't work for a grandma.