PDA

View Full Version : Python is the shizzle...

johnnymac
January 4th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Just wanted to throw a silly post in to say...

I decided to pick up python (I've been using PERL for quite some time) and sure enough...LOVE IT. Very clean, easy to learn, and some of the GUI tools (like wxPython) make graphical application design wicked simple.

Wybiral
January 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
lol

It's true, pythons a pretty cool language, once I stop procrastinating I'm going to start a game maker project written mostly in python (and some C++ modules to speed/clean things up a bit).

For anyone who doesn't think python can do 3d, http://p13.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/terrainTest.tar.gz

(You'll need pyOpenGL, get it through synaptic)

W, A, S, D move
Directional buttons steer

pmasiar
January 4th, 2007, 09:36 PM
If you want to have good excuse for procrastinating, try new hot game - galcon (http://www.imitationpickles.org/galcon/index.html) written in python and pygames (http://www.pygame.org/projects/20/340/)

kind of like the game risk - but with space ships, multiplayer, and fast-paced.

Don't even **think** of trying it - and don't say i did not warned you :-)

Update: mostly written in 2 days (http://www.imitationpickles.org/galcon/postmortem.html) (with 6 months of polishing of course) :-)

Wybiral
January 4th, 2007, 09:43 PM
A 2d gamemaker wouldn't take too long to make, I'm more interested in writing a 3d gamemaker because I've seen so many people say it's impossible with python and I disagree. I think I'm going to start on it now, but I need reminded to work on it, so if no one heres about it for a couple of days, remind me. And if anyone wants to help, definitely contact me. I'm thinking along the lines of a simple doom style FPS engine with some game making tools.

slavik
January 4th, 2007, 09:53 PM
A 2d gamemaker wouldn't take too long to make, I'm more interested in writing a 3d gamemaker because I've seen so many people say it's impossible with python and I disagree. I think I'm going to start on it now, but I need reminded to work on it, so if no one heres about it for a couple of days, remind me. And if anyone wants to help, definitely contact me. I'm thinking along the lines of a simple doom style FPS engine with some game making tools.
there are opengl bindings, that's all you need :)

Wybiral
January 4th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Well, I could make a game with just OpenGL and a decent language, but the game maker is going to be for people who want to do minimal programming and still make a game in Linux. It will have tools like level editors and all of the model/level/texture loading will be done for them, they will just have to design the levels and write small scripts for ai/level scripting (in python) and the game maker will handle the rest.

Burgresso
January 5th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Well said in the original post - Python IS the shizzle!

johnnymac
January 5th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Yes...like I said...I likes the python...

I've only been writing in it for a couple of days and I'm tossing out multi-platform wxPython apps like the're going out of style...mostly for work...

Woohoo....

dear God....I just realized I'm a total geek! :cool:

Wybiral
January 5th, 2007, 06:45 AM
dear God....I just realized I'm a total geek!

I think everyone here is a geek at heart. I get my kicks from programming too, that's pretty geeky... At least geeks usually end up getting paid better than non-geeks (idiots)

jblebrun
January 5th, 2007, 08:59 AM

I've only been writing in it for a couple of days and I'm tossing out multi-platform wxPython apps like the're going out of style...mostly for work...

Woohoo....

Anythig good you want to share with us? :-D

johnnymac
January 5th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Hah!

There's this crazy little piece of paper that companies make you sign....says anything you come up with is theirs....bah.

But....when work lightens up a bit I'll be adding to that super open source world out there....

[woodstock]
January 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM
lol

For anyone who doesn't think python can do 3d, http://p13.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/terrainTest.tar.gz

(You'll need pyOpenGL, get it through synaptic)

Impressive but I believe the package's name is python-opengl (at least there is no package called pyOpenGL in the repros for edgy).

gh0st
January 6th, 2007, 12:26 AM

Woohoo....

Yeah I'd have to agree that Python rocks. I only started using it recently and it's amazing. Incidentally Django is a great web development platform for Python as well. It's can give Rails a run for it's money IMO. I do mostly web based apps but I really wanna try and make some GUI desktop apps with wxPython next I think.

Another thing I wanted to mention (slightly off topic sorry) I got a copy of Python Cookbook 2nd Editon the other day and it's really good. I'm sure most people on here already have it but if you are new to Python like me and you want a good book it's definitely worth the money.

Wybiral
January 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM
;1971873']Impressive but I believe the package's name is python-opengl (at least there is no package called pyOpenGL in the repros for edgy).

That's possible, I think the actual modules name is pyOpenGL, but it might be listed as python openGL as the package name. I'm not sure though... It's been a while since I've had to install that stuff.