PDA

View Full Version : debian stable/gentoo distro (aimed at servers)

usernamebob
January 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM
okay well it's a thought I've been throwing around for awhile now
I'd realy like to go with gentoo on my servers.. use flags can realy hep you use resources more efficiently, and in servers, thats hugely important. however oftentimes gentoo breaks due to having the latest versions and such loaded.. or broken ebuilds.
something I'm currently pondering is making a Gentoo based stable server oriented distro.
my proposal is to begin work on a "gentoo stable server" distro

the main features of it would be :

Highly community run

It's own portage tree, this will be a severly hacked down version of the origional removing most if not all guibased code from the portage tree (and anything that isn't realy server related),also new versions will need to undergo testing by the team looking after the tree before they and taken into the tree, hopefully also with the much much much smaller tree size we'll be able to get stuff error tested at a much faster rate, and be able to be much more on top of broken ebuilds and such

a system allowing users to install from the normal gentoo portage if they should so wish, lets face it.. at some point someone use thing will want something we don't have

A fair straight forward install guide (or Ncurses like installer) that should get you a system compiled and hopefully optomised to your system

Obviously this would be quite a speciality distro. mainly for people who want very secure, very high performance servers.

so yeah.. if your interested in the concept.. or you have someone in your mind who might.. then drop us a line :)

ps we're realy just looking for offers of interest either in the form of "Sounds aswesome" or "hey, I'd love to help with that"

patrick295767
January 4th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Think Debian according to me

I moved from Ubuntu to Debian because of lack of stability of Ubuntu and too many bugs for servers application.

I am more than satisfied, it is highly stable and ultra finished distro. You cannot find better I guess for stability and reliability.

Gentoo is quite okay too, but my choice is Debian.

Dragonbite
January 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Sounds like the concept of RHEL vs Fedora.

Fedora is the "test bed" with frequent updates and more up-to-date packages available.
RHEL is focused on stability and is definately not the "latest and greatest" but in a server things don't change very much.

It's own Portage tree would not necessarily have to be hacked down, just contains older versions for backward-compatibility and well-vetted packages that won't break or can be backed out cleanly if necessary. All this and not break or fork with Gentoo's Portage.

For ease of setting up and getting thigs started you may be able to utilize some of what they've put into Sabayon (http://www.sabayonlinux.org) Linux.

I don't know if SabayonLinux has their own Portage tree or not, but if they do then maybe instead of re-inventing the wheel can develop a server line of Sabayon (like Kubuntu is still Ubuntu)?

Sounds interesting though.

RAV TUX
January 5th, 2007, 01:34 AM
moving to Gentoo forums

RAV TUX
January 6th, 2007, 06:37 AM
edited thread title to correct mispelling