PDA

View Full Version : My laptop rant/question...

Mr_J_
January 4th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Being bored at work is a cruel thing.
So!
:D
I'm guessing you're the ones to suffer from it...

I've been loving to look at my sisters Macbook.
It looks great and just seems to do great things on most aspects.
That was until, on the beginning of this week, I used the computer for more than a minute or two.

I admit I've never used a Mac, but that OS just makes me want windows again. :-k
I use it at home, and at work.
Have been away from Ubuntu for a stretch just because I got bored and went back to playing games, msn messenger and it's quirks. It's like that couch that has a few springs or other things poking threw. You're used to the poking and you don't mind.
Besides using it for so long I've gotten pavlovian style training to it's strange habits.

Ubuntu still strikes me as the best possible free alternative to any OS around, and; in my opinin; better than OSX... Just me I guess... :mrgreen:

To start it all off.
The first thing I notice when I get to that laptop is a stupid bar on the top driving me insane with it's pixelated wonders. It's all good and fine, but don't give me pixels.

I'll give it a lot, but there is no excuse for pixels in this day and age.
I'll even understand my sister not knowing how to fullscreen an apication and not having familiarity to the OS enough to explain things.

I'll admit I know next to nothing on how to use the OS, but to hell with those pixels.

This was a test trial to see if I should get a Macbook Pro some time this year.
I'm guessing I'll get pretty mad with OSX if I do.
I've used it on a few other ocasions to correct system settings and configure some stuff, so I'll say that makes me equally angry.

I never thought I'd see the day when windows looked like if it was made for smart people, but there it is.](*,)

To me a computer should appear to be a voluptuous tupperware box, rounded to preference. To Apple it should look like m&m's on sheet metal.
Guess we all have different tastes, like windows default colorblind madness.

Who ever told them green and blue was a good combination must be laughing their *** off right now.

I've heard for a long time that it takes diferent sort, so why not a few more themes?!
Oh well. They're not all like Ubuntu I guess.

Since I've been thinking that towards the end of this year my AMD 3200+ is going to be old school, and portability would be hellishly sweet...
What's a good laptop to look for?

I would like for at least similar stats in the laptop as the desktop I have now.
and... I guess... Long batterie life, 'cause anything under 3h is just not happening. [-(

Preferably in the 5h range.

I web surf and msn chat everyday, sometimes I play WoW although that is not fixed and I wouldn't mind stopping if came to be that or a cheaper lappy.
I usually want to keep photoshop handy, and occasionally use Flash (also could be dropped for cheaper laptop).

I live in Portugal, and I'd like support for the laptop so I'd prefer model names, and brands...

PS: wifi is a must!:-|

Just makes me sad to think of all the money spent of these OS that could be spent feeding the top models of the world, and introducing the concept of a booty call to those countries deep seeded in lasting war...:twisted:

azkehmm
January 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Group Hug, Everybody!!!

Iarwain ben-adar
January 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
*hugs everybody in the near vicinity*

Iarwain