PDA

View Full Version : templates in Quanta+ vs Aptana

Peter Mount
January 4th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Hello

Are the templates in Quanta+ like Dreamweaver templates where you only have to change the markup in one file to update the markup in all the pages in a web site? I've read the Dreamweaver templates create a non-editable region in the pages that only gets updated when the template is updated

I'm asking because I'm trying to decide on whether or no to change to using the Aptana plugin in Eclipse together with PHPEclipse. Aparently Dreamweaver style templates are planned for a future version of Aptana but if Quanta+ already has it then I might stick to that for now.

Thanks

HappyClam
January 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I personally don't use Dreamweaver templates as ColdFusion has better ways of making updates to files with the same content. Using a template seems like a great idea and may be for those who use straight HTML. Update one file and all the file that use that template update. However for those files to update means that each file is FTPed. If you have a large site that means a lot of bandwidth while all the files are 'putting'. Since I use ColdFusion I use the <cfinclude> tag. This allows me to include a file(s) into another file, such as the header, footer, menu, and body. This is similar to the shtml 'include' tag. If the header needs to be updated then I change one file, the header file, upload one file, and all files that use the header file now have the change. I hope this helps in your decision.

Peter Mount
January 4th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks HappyClam

I use include files too but after reading about this DreamWeaver template thing I just needed some information on the concept.

I like your explanation on why it's better to use include files instead. I hadn't thought of it in that way and using include files does seem more efficient as you indicate.

I've been using Quanta+ for a few months but I'll have a play with Aptana this weekend just to get a feel of what it's like.

Have fun

Subudhinath
March 25th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I just noticed that Quanta+ actually kinda has Dreamweaver Template support. There's a script for it, bundled with Quanta+. Click the lefthand "Scripts" tab and there you'll see "dwt.kmdr" try it, cause I haven't (just happened to find it, but don't need it). \\:D/

cheers, Simon

Peter Mount
March 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I just noticed that Quanta+ actually kinda has Dreamweaver Template support. There's a script for it, bundled with Quanta+. Click the lefthand "Scripts" tab and there you'll see "dwt.kmdr" try it, cause I haven't (just happened to find it, but don't need it). \\:D/

cheers, Simon

Thanks for that

As it happens I'm now using Kate and cssed. I found Quanta+ a bit slow on my Pentium 2 and Aptana, at the time, was extra slow :)

I'm looking to buy a new confusor (that's "computer" to some folk) later this year.

Have fun