PDA

View Full Version : are there any useful terminal based programs you recommend?

ice60
January 4th, 2007, 06:05 AM
i really like some of the terminal based programs like irssi, tcptraceroot, p0f, mpg321, normalize etc, etc (i just saw someone mention htop in another thread which made me think about this. BTW htop is great :D)

so, are there any more terminal based programs you recommend?

EDIT: i just thought it might be a good idea if you show which switches you like to use with the programs. so, if you have already posted can you repost showing the switches you use with the program, please?

aysiu
January 4th, 2007, 06:09 AM
imagemagick

Arisna
January 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM
The Vim editor can be a very powerful tool.

raul_
January 4th, 2007, 06:17 AM
aptitude has a terminal interface:

sudo aptitude

taurus
January 4th, 2007, 06:26 AM
wget
links2

grte
January 4th, 2007, 06:44 AM
screen, mpd/ncmpc, mutt, multitail, elinks, qalc, ncftp.

tagra123
January 4th, 2007, 06:58 AM
dd
du
df
scp
ssh
nano

Great programs when working on a remote machine using the terminal.

scrabble (for fun)

I burn all my video dvds from the commandline using dvdauthor and mkisofs

~LoKe
January 4th, 2007, 07:00 AM
+1 for mpd/ncmpc.

userundefine
January 4th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I just learned screen and I must say it's a godsend. Makes you want to do so much more from the terminal. Go screen!

kuja
January 4th, 2007, 07:10 AM
sed, uptime, lsb_release, cut, dpkg -S, dpkg -L, slocate, find, startkde ;)

riven0
January 4th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Can't believe no one has recommended Lynx yet. Awesome web browser!

Somenoob
January 4th, 2007, 07:16 AM
"file", "vi" and of course most programs with networking capabilities.

grte
January 4th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Can't believe no one has recommended Lynx yet. Awesome web browser!

It's certainly good, but a bit oudated. I would recommend elinks or links2, which have already been mentioned, over it.

tbroderick
January 4th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Besides the ones already mentioned; tagger (id3tag editor), cmus (music player), wget-queue (perl script to create a download queue), hnb (hierarchical notebook), bsd-games (text based games), cdrecord (burn cd's), abcde (cd ripper), gramofile (record vinyl records), rtorrent (torrent downloads), mc (file manager), bitlbee (instant messenger), snownews (rss reader), nethack (dungeon game), and bash of course. Bash is really usefull for one-liners and such;

for i in *.wma ; do mplayer -vo null -vc dummy -af resample=44100 -ao pcm:waveheader "$i" && oggenc -q 4 audiodump.wav -o "`basename "$i" .wma`.ogg"; done; rm -f audiodump.wav

JoeC21
January 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
+2 for mpd/ncmpc

TLE
January 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM
+ 1 for cmus as a music player. Whats even better is that as of Edgy it is in repo's.

fuscia
January 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM
pine mail is great - http://www.washington.edu/pine/

saved my butt once. i somehow screwed up X and couldn't figure out how to undo the damage, so i decided to reinstall. there were some files i hadn't backed up, but, as i could get into the console, i just used pine to email the files to myself and got them after i reinstalled. (i'm sure there's an easier way to do all that.](*,) )

Kindred
January 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM
screen for sure.

3rdalbum
January 4th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Gramofile is a good audio recording program, which works right on the terminal.

MPlay is a good curses-based MPlayer frontend.

nsleiman
January 4th, 2007, 12:00 PM
sudo apt-get :)

amgeex
January 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I have to say, mpd + ncmpc, bash, grep, awk, irssi, and most compilers, like javac, g++, etc. :D

jdhore
January 4th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I have to say, mpd + ncmpc, bash, grep, awk, irssi, and most compilers, like javac, g++, etc. :D

irssi FTW!!
but i'd have to say:
irssi
htop
dd
apt-get

BTW, to all those who said "sudo apt-get" or "sudo aptitude", sudo and apt applications are 2 different things...

raul_
January 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I said "sudo aptitude" because it's the command to enter the aptitude "graphical" interface

ffi
January 4th, 2007, 04:22 PM
wget
links2 (a lot faster than links or lynx)
mc (midnight commander, invaluable when x crashes again, like links2.....)

fuscia
January 4th, 2007, 04:35 PM
elinks is also a great text browser and it's easier to get into my yahoo with it rather than with links2.

anyone mention nano and xkill yet?

amgeex
January 4th, 2007, 04:52 PM
nano is great!

tbroderick
January 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM
+ 1 for cmus as a music player. Whats even better is that as of Edgy it is in repo's.

There's a newer version out which adds compilation tag support.

fistfullofroses
January 4th, 2007, 05:41 PM
As you can see everyone likes their terminal based programs, but I think that Ubuntu was built for DEs. On my laptop I run Slackware, and have nothing but non-graphical Linux. Runs well. I can do anything I want on it that others would normally do.

amgeex
January 4th, 2007, 05:50 PM
As you can see everyone likes their terminal based programs, but I think that Ubuntu was built for DEs. On my laptop I run Slackware, and have nothing but non-graphical Linux. Runs well. I can do anything I want on it that others would normally do.

Well, ubuntu can run equally well any of those terminal apps you may use on slackware, so I guess your statement that ubuntu was built for desktop environments isn't necessarily true. [-(

raul_
January 4th, 2007, 06:10 PM

I fail to see the correlation

mips
January 4th, 2007, 06:20 PM
As a terminal itself try yakuake (http://yakuake.uv.ro/)

pormogo
January 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
htop is awesome but doesn't run the right way in screen for me, netiher does iptraf :( I love screen with all my heart that's totally on my list. Since I'm on the topic of top I haven't seen anyone bring up iftop yet :)

ice60
January 4th, 2007, 11:54 PM
***hi, i just thought it might be a good idea if you show the switches you use with the programs you recommend; i'll edit the first post to say so. if you have already recommended something which works well with certain switches will you repost showing the whole command, please?***

ice60
January 5th, 2007, 12:11 AM
here are some nice netstat commands i use. they just show your network connexions. i've put them in my bash_aliases and i've posted them as they are in my bash_aliases file. to use them outside bash alias i'll show how the first one would be -

watch --interval=2 "sudo netstat -apn -l -A inet" NOTE i took away the last ' at the very end too :) i like it because it autoupdates every 2 seconds :cool:

alias net1='watch --interval=2 "sudo netstat -apn -l -A inet"'
alias net2='watch --interval=2 "sudo netstat -an --inet --inet6"'
alias net3='sudo lsof -i'
alias net4='sudo netstat -ano -l -A inet'
alias net5='watch --interval=2 "sudo netstat -tulpan"'
alias net6='sudo netstat -tulpan'
alias net7='watch --interval=2 "sudo netstat -utapen"

ice60
January 5th, 2007, 12:17 AM
here's a nice du command which shows, in order of size, disk space usage of the directory you run it in -

du -skc * | sort -rn

NOTE: it might take a while if you run it in a directory with a lot of stuff in.

ice60
January 5th, 2007, 12:25 AM
whatis is a nice command. what it does is give you the man page description of a program

whatis opera
opera (1) - a standards-compliant graphical Web browser

raul_
January 5th, 2007, 12:27 AM
vnstat - lets you monitor your traffic ;)

glabouni
January 23rd, 2007, 01:31 AM
whatis is a nice command. what it does is give you the man page description of a program

whatis opera
opera (1) - a standards-compliant graphical Web browser

a complementary command would be whereis:

NAME
whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command

whereis opera
opera: /usr/bin/opera /usr/lib/opera /usr/X11R6/bin/opera /usr/bin/X11/opera /usr/share/opera /usr/share/man/man1/opera.1.gz

for those of you using netcat, you might want to try cryptcat (http://farm9.org/Cryptcat/):

Cryptcat is the standard netcat enhanced with twofish encryption with ports for WIndows NT, BSD and Linux.

some more commands, some I've found in linux.com sysadmins toolboxes (http://www.linux.com/search.pl?tid=129) and linux.com magic CLI (http://www.linux.com/search.pl?tid=89), some I already knew by myself:
slocate,curl, youtube-dl, pwgen, tripwire, iptraf, bwm-ng, iftop, lokkit, gpart, dwdiff, wuzzah, w3m, chroot, watch, monit, partimage

also check the packages moreutils and num-utils for goodies

for those of you who don't know yet about command line interface (cli) and want to learn it and the basic commands, try these links:
http://www.linuxcommand.org/
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/cli.html

Mateo
January 23rd, 2007, 02:04 AM
youtube-dl

downloads youtube movies to your harddrive, so you can watch them full screen on mplayer or watch at your convenience.

ice60
April 24th, 2007, 01:39 PM
i just installed mp3blaster, i tried cmus first, but i perfer this because it's so easy to get working.
http://mp3blaster.sourceforge.net/

here's an article about it
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/03/23/191237

Pobega
April 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM
abook for address storage.
mutt for email management.
irssi for IRC.
raggle for RSS feed reading.
mplayer for videos.
links2 for browsing (With images)
centericq for instant messages.

fuscia
April 24th, 2007, 01:43 PM
am i on crack, or has no one mentioned mplayer yet? (too obvious?)

Pobega
April 24th, 2007, 01:44 PM
am i on crack, or has no one mentioned mplayer yet? (too obvious?)
Crack. (Scroll up)

fuscia
April 24th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Crack. (Scroll up)

uh...mplayer for music. did anyone say that yet?

Pobega
April 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM
uh...mplayer for music. did anyone say that yet?

Why bother with mplayer for music in a terminal? You could just use a normal music player :)

ice60
April 24th, 2007, 02:13 PM
mplayer is pretty cool in a terminal. it's just like running mpg321 -vv. you can run gaim in a terminal too i think.

karellen
April 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
centericq
uptime
df
du
ls
links
apt-get/aptitude
ps -ef
kill (!)
wget
tar
gunzip

Spr0k3t
April 24th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I have to throw down for weechat v2.4+. It's such an awesome IRC client very much like irssi but with a very robust plugin system. As a software developer, I like weechat much more than I do irssi. However, if you are not in to development, they are about the same.

fuscia
April 24th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Why bother with mplayer for music in a terminal? You could just use a normal music player :)

why not?