PDA

View Full Version : KVM switches

Rule
January 4th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Hey guys, I was hoping a few of you could recommend a KVM switch, I have 2 towers and 1 monitor/keyboard/mouse. I'm hoping to get it from www.ncix.com or a local place in Surrey or Burnaby.

TIA

Rule

budgie9
January 4th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Hey guys, I was hoping a few of you could recommend a KVM switch, I have 2 towers and 1 monitor/keyboard/mouse. I'm hoping to get it from www.ncix.com or a local place in Surrey or Burnaby.

TIA

Rule

My Starview SV411 works well with Win2000, XP, Ubuntu and Suse.

Stew2
January 4th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I have this one (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11361&vpn=DKVM-2K&manufacture=D-Link), it works quite well but I sometimes have to get it to do a manual scan so that the mouse works in Ubuntu. Not all the time, just say 1 out of 5 switches. Otherwise it works well and the cables are nice and long although I usually have my towers pretty well side by side. Hope this helps! :D

Regards,
Stew2

DJiNN
January 4th, 2007, 03:08 AM
I use a couple of Belkins. One's an OmniCube (just a 2 way switch) and the other's some other "Cube" (The name of which has currently escaped me) made by Belkin, which is a 4x Unit. Both work extremely well & i've never had any problems.

DJiNN

budgie9
January 4th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I have this one (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11361&vpn=DKVM-2K&manufacture=D-Link), it works quite well but I sometimes have to get it to do a manual scan so that the mouse works in Ubuntu. Not all the time, just say 1 out of 5 switches. Otherwise it works well and the cables are nice and long although I usually have my towers pretty well side by side. Hope this helps! :D

Regards,
Stew2

That's interesting I bought that same unit and had the same situation, but a lot more frequently than you stated. Hence the swap out to the Starview. Thanks for that info you have confirmed what I suspected, The store was implying it was my equipment, when I knew it was not.

Stew2
January 4th, 2007, 04:08 AM
That's interesting I bought that same unit and had the same situation, but a lot more frequently than you stated. Hence the swap out to the Starview. Thanks for that info you have confirmed what I suspected, The store was implying it was my equipment, when I knew it was not.

Good to know, thanks for the info! :D In that case I would go with your suggestion and reccomend the Starview switch. Just out of curiosity, did you ever try the D-Link switch with two Windows based towers? Just curious if it is Ubuntu that it doesn't like or if it is just a lousy switch in general? Perhaps mine will be going on eBay soon! :D

Regards,
Stew2

mikeyandmary
January 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I bought the d-link kvm switch mentioned and love it. It has worked faultlessly switching between linux/linux and linux/windows. I use it to switch between working on the server and playing games when I want a break from the server.

Computer 1: ubuntu server with xubuntu desktop
Computer 2: edubuntu/XP pro dual boot

I used to use all belkin products but have had too many hassles and find d-link to be similar price and more reliable (especially network products)

Hope this helps.

futz
January 4th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Make sure the KVM you buy has the correct connectors for your machines. The newer ones have DVI and USB instead of VGA and PS2. You can also get them (mid price range) with VGA and USB. Cheaper ones don't switch audio, so you have to have speakers on each computer - that's a big pain in the butt.

I have a two port IOGEar MiniView™ Micro USB PLUS KVM Switch - Part #: GCS632U
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=4080081&vpn=GCS632U&manufacture=IOGEAR%20INC.
http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS632U&name=MiniView%E2%84%A2%20Micro%20USB%20PLUS%20KVM% 20Switch
Great little unit. Switches USB, VGA and audio. I'm very happy with it.

I also have a Freedom9 two port:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=20933&vpn=KVM-02CA&manufacture=FREEDOM9
That's not quite the one I have. Mine is PS2 only - no USB. It switches VGA, PS2 and audio. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this unit. It is unreliable. Gets confused sometimes and only a reboot of both computers will get it back in sync. Cheap tho...

A buddy bought this four port Trendnet KVM: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12426&vpn=KVM-104E&manufacture=nGear%20Technologies%20Inc.
It works fine, but doesn't switch audio, so you need 4 sets of speakers! And not very many keyboards or mice are PS2 anymore. USB is MUCH more common. On the other hand it's cheap.

The one I'm going to buy soon is the four port IOGear DVI KVMP Switch - Part # GCS1764
http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS1764&name=DVI%20KVMP%20Switch
Perfect for modern machines with LCD displays that run DVI connects. This one is around $300 around here. Not so cheap anymore...

budgie9
January 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Yes I did try the Dlink with two Windows towers, it failed on a couple of occaasions. I seemed to have the odd pause with the mouse and then my genuine IBM keyboards started giving odd results.
I have four pc towers two have Asus m/boards and two have Intel boards. I have used the Starview with many other m/boards and had no trouble with it. I did have one cable break in the mouse connection end, but Starview sent a new cable to me free of charge, after some 16 months, or so.

futz
January 4th, 2007, 05:51 PM
That's odd that you guys are having trouble with D-Link KVM's. I've always found D-Link products to be pretty good and reliable. Guess I'll steer clear of their KVM's.

Anyway, my IOGear has been absolutely, totally reliable. Works every time. And doesn't care what operating system is on the boxes.

dannyboy79
January 4th, 2007, 06:01 PM
That's odd that you guys are having trouble with D-Link KVM's. I've always found D-Link products to be pretty good and reliable. Guess I'll steer clear of their KVM's.

Anyway, my IOGear has been absolutely, totally reliable. Works every time. And doesn't care what operating system is on the boxes.

i have the same iogear minikvm minus the usb option. except I don't use the video portion of it either, i only use the kvm switch for it's keyboard, mouse, and audio options. i do this because my flat panel monitor has a vga input as well as a dvi input. so winbloz is using dvi and ubuntu is using vga. then on the front of the monitor I just hit 1 button and it switches the input and then on the keyboard I hit scroll lock twice and I am good to go. I love this iogear minikvm because it's so small and it includes the switching of the audio which not many of the cheaper kvm's do audio! oh, it uses ps/2 for th mouse and keyboard but I use a wireless keyboard and mouse and it still works which I have read many others stating that there wireless stuff didn't work with their kvm's so hopefully this info is useful to others. the keyboard and mouse are generic also, they are from newegg.com made by rosewell i am pretty sure. the mouse turns off after certain amount of inactivity which saves on batteries, then I just have to hit a button or move it back and forth and shes good to go again!

futz
January 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I have read many others stating that there wireless stuff didn't work with their kvm's
My wireless MX Revolution mouse works perfect with the IOGear KVM.

btolle
January 26th, 2007, 08:56 PM
My wireless MX Revolution mouse works perfect with the IOGear KVM.

I bought an MX Revolution yesterday and really like it. After reading the posts in this thread I ordered an IO Gear KVM switch. Thanks for all the good responses.

Just one question: Are you running a Linux program that gives you the functionality of all the switches on the MX Revolution, and if so, what program is it?

Thanks in advance,

futz
January 27th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Are you running a Linux program that gives you the functionality of all the switches on the MX Revolution, and if so, what program is it?
No. I actually haven't got all the buttons working. I was running a MX-510 before and, since I'm very very lazy, I'm still using the setup for that. The only MX Rev stuff that's not working on mine is side-scroll, the thumb rocker wheel and the search button.

Here's the pertinent part of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
Option "Resolution" "800"
EndSection
I suspect that could be easily modified to make the rest of the MX Rev stuff work. I just haven't got around to it yet.

Meanwhile I have the cool new scroll-wheel (LOVE IT!) and my Back/Forward buttons and I'm happy.

Here's a thread explaining how to set up the MX Rev using evdev:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=277388&highlight=revolution

Bezmotivnik
January 27th, 2007, 02:13 AM
THis is probably the wrong forum for this...having said that, for just KVM and no audio (which would be nice!), this old, cheap Airlink 101 I'm using works perfectly with my Ubuntu/XP desktop arrangement.

Good tip (above) about making sure the I/O ports match what you need!

AndyCooll
January 27th, 2007, 02:23 AM
I use a Belkin 4-port KVM switch (not USB). Works great.

:cool: