PDA

View Full Version : A way to create GUI programs for both windows and linux

Jamesbowden
January 4th, 2007, 01:35 AM
I have been learning C++ for a little while now, and am using to write some calculator and conversion tools for my course-Work at school. However all my school computers run on windows, where all my work stations are Linux.

Is there a way to create GUI programs that i can compile for both linux and windows, or if there is another way to get past this problem.

Thanks

23meg
January 4th, 2007, 01:38 AM
You can use WxWidgets to make the GUI platform independent.

Wybiral
January 4th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Ignore the cries of the windows users...

Or, GTK. I used to use GIMP back before I found a decent OS and it worked fine.

23meg
January 4th, 2007, 01:45 AM
GTK is cross-platform, but with WxWidgets you eliminate the need to have the GTK runtime environment installed on the target machine.

Jamesbowden
January 4th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Thanks, so with WxWidgets i dont need to have anything installed on my schools machines?

23meg
January 4th, 2007, 01:49 AM
No; WxWidgets will use the target platform's native widgets.

Mirrorball
January 4th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Qt too. In short, use any toolkit you like.

Jamesbowden
January 4th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Thanks everyone

pmasiar
January 4th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Ignore the cries of the windows users...

That's eeevil. I like it. :twisted:

Explain users that by switching to Ubuntu they avoid Vista Genuine Advantage, save money and have safer box which will not spy on them using latest DRM (Device Rigged to Malfunction) technology. Will not be easy tho. :-(

rekahsoft
January 4th, 2007, 02:41 AM
That's eeevil. I like it. :twisted:

Explain users that by switching to Ubuntu they avoid Vista Genuine Advantage, save money and have safer box which will not spy on them using latest DRM (Device Rigged to Malfunction) technology. Will not be easy tho. :-(

haha i love it :)

Wybiral
January 4th, 2007, 02:44 AM
That's eeevil. I like it.

lol

BTW, this is COMPLETELY off subject, but if it's just simple stuff like calculator and conversion tools, javascript might be something to look into... You can make it look nice with HTML, and it will run on almost every computer with a web browser. It's also a lot more powerful than people give it credit for... I used it to solve this weeks programming challenge (decimal-fraction conversion, prime number detection).