View Full Version : Which test editor

January 3rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Ok text editor is great and all but I'm curious to know which of these can help me when I'm programming in C++: Nvu, bluefish editor, and Anjuta ID.

I'm just using text editor and the terminal to compile.

So would any of those other editors work better for C++, like showing errors? I downloaded them through automatix and I'm curious to know if they have any use for me.

Thanks Fellas

January 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
Nvu and Bluefish are for HTML. Anjuta is OK. Other options: Eclipse, KDeveloper, Codeblocks.

January 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
The compiler should report your errors, line number and all. I suggest using GEdit, and using the bottom panel with the terminal to compile... You never have to leave your window, and you can have a makefile in one tab (if your project is big enough to require one), a few project files in the other tabs and all is right with the world...

BTW, with the embedded terminal in the bottom panel, CTRL+F9 opens/closes it.

January 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
That's funny I've been using Gedit all this time. How do I get the terminal to integrate with it because ctrl-F9 is doing nothing.

January 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
You should make sure you have plugins installed (you can find them with synaptic package manager)

Then you have to enable the terminal plugin, EDIT>Preferences>Plugins...

January 3rd, 2007, 09:43 PM
vim (http://www.vim.org/)

January 3rd, 2007, 10:01 PM
Wybiral what plugins beside the terminal, which is very awesome, do you find very helpful?

January 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM
The code commenter/uncommenter comes in handy when you are debugging and need to comment/uncomment large chunks of code. When it's on, CTRL+M comments selected lines, CTRL + SHFT + M uncomments selected lines. It sure beats manually doing it! For HTML, the color picker is handy to retrieve a hex color for websites (it appears in the tools menu when you activate it). The indent plugin works like the comment one and is VERY VERY handy when converting code between C++ and python (once again... Manually indenting all of those lines is a PAIN)

January 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM

January 7th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Nvu and Bluefish are for HTML. Anjuta is OK. Other options: Eclipse, KDeveloper, Codeblocks.
Are there any plug-ins to allow Nvu to work with PHP files?