PDA

View Full Version : what about the third mouse "button(wheel)"?

mykalreborn
January 3rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
i see that in linux you can't press the mouse wheel and make the internet page go up and down by moving the mouse up and down. i hope you understand what i'm trying to say.
can anyone tell me why linux doesn't have this feature? is it hard to develop, or...?

steven8
January 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
I don't believe that is a Linux issue, but an issue for the individual programmer(s) for a piece of software.

Tux Aubrey
January 3rd, 2007, 11:04 AM
It works for me! (in Firefox 2.0).

I have found that clicking the "middle button" does lots of interesting things in different apps and in Window Managers (like fluxbox). .

RAV TUX
January 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
i see that in linux you can't press the mouse wheel and make the internet page go up and down by moving the mouse up and down. i hope you understand what i'm trying to say.
can anyone tell me why linux doesn't have this feature? is it hard to develop, or...?This has always worked for me in any Linux OS....

madmetal
January 3rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
works for me also (firefox 1.5)

maniacmusician
January 3rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
This option DOES exist in firefox, but I don't think it is enabled by default. To enable it, you do this:

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > "General" Tab

In the "Browsing" section, check the box that says "Use autoscrolling"

That'll do it for ya.

insane_alien
January 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
thanks maniac. it works, i've been missing that.

venik212
January 3rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
I typically assign some function to clicking (not rolling) the mouse wheel, such as going BACK one page in the browser. I do not see how to do that in Ubuntu.

Buffalo Soldier
January 3rd, 2007, 06:38 PM
In Epiphany you need to install the extensions:

sudo apt-get install epiphany-extensions
Then in Epiphany, go to Tools -> Extensions -> Auto Scroll.

mand0
January 3rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
This option DOES exist in firefox, but I don't think it is enabled by default. To enable it, you do this:

That'll do it for ya.

ah ha! been wondering how to get this to work. Thanks

grte
January 4th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I dunno about anyone else, but I have it set as the third mouse button. Far more useful, in my view.

sgx
January 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Another fun option in Kubuntu, is to set mousewheel to scroll through multiple desktops,
and of course, have 5 or 9 desktops at your whim...have browser, mail, newsfeed, filemanager. audioplayer
etc etc all just a quick wheelnudge away...I use mainly for vst and softsynths, qjackctl, audacity, ardour,
mixer, creox/ecamegapedal fx, each desktop with its own vkeybd for easy audition of changes, doesn't
get much better than this! Also, set 'active desktop borders, except for moving windows'...this allows sliding
large or important subwindows to a neighboring desktop, but prevents errant mousegestures from
switching to those desktops when you don't want to...
(you can demo this to a hapless windows fanatic, if you have a cruel streak, or a bad hair day, and need
to inflict some punishment!) Have a great 2007...