PDA

View Full Version : HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

aysiu
May 24th, 2005, 08:44 PM
What's the issue?
Ubuntu updates its software versions every six months with a new release. Mozilla, however, upgrades Firefox every month or two--sometimes every week--with security patches or new feature-based releases. Ubuntu often includes security patches with its own versions a day or a week after Mozilla releases their patches, but many Ubuntu users are impatient and would prefer to install the latest version of Firefox from Mozilla and use that instead of the Ubuntu build of Firefox.

Basically almost all of the methods outlined below do essentially the same thing--download Firefox from the Mozilla website and use that instead of Ubuntu's Firefox. Most also "install" Firefox to the /opt directory.

What are the methods?

Manual - This involves copying and pasting a lot of terminal commands to get Firefox fully integrated with your system. If you want to learn some terminal commands and get to know your system a little better, this is a great way to install the latest Firefox. Instructions are here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion

Automated - This script basically takes the commands in the manual version and saves you the trouble of copying and pasting them all. It also automates a few other things--it automatically detects and downloads the latest version of Firefox, it allows you to select your locale, and it verifies the integrity of the download.
http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/

Manual with no integration - All the aforementioned methods assume you want the command firefox to launch the new Firefox from Mozilla, that you want your plugins to work with Firefox, and that you want Firefox to be "installed" systemwide for all users. If you just want Firefox to be able to run but not be integrated with plugins or run with the regular firefox command or able to be run by all users easily, then just download the Firefox .tar.gz file from Mozilla to your desktop or home folder, double-click it (or single-click if you're using Kubuntu), extract the .tar.gz using File-Roller or Ark, go to the newly created folder and double-click (or single-click for Kubuntu) the file called firefox. That will launch Firefox.

Use Klik - Klik is a way to install software directly off the web but not using your regular package manager.
First learn how to use Klik:
http://klik.atekon.de/wiki/index.php/How_to_use_klik

Then get Firefox from Klik:
http://firefox.klik.atekon.de/

Stick with the Ubuntu version of Firefox - Ubuntu will continue to update Firefox with security patches as long as they support the release you're using (Dapper, as of this writing, is supposed to be supported for three years). The security patches may not come immediately when Mozilla releases them, but they usually come within a week.

Edit: Actually, since you are not the root user on your system, the Check for Updates button in Firefox will be greyed out, even if you use the Mozilla version. For more details on how to install upgrades, see this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2222326#post2222326).

A combination of the manual and manual with no integration methods can be found here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2392054#post2392054).

Why this thread?
There were way too many HowTos on installing the latest Firefox, so I'm creating the ultimate HowTo that outlines the major methods. It's better for new users to have one place to find all the major ways to upgrade than fifteen different HowTos of varying quality. Any "new" upgrade-to-Firefox HowTos will simply be merged into this thread. If a method is actually new and not just a rehash of another method, I'll incorporate that new method into this initial post.

shakin
June 11th, 2005, 02:10 AM
This install should not harm your existing Firefox installation. This basically walks you through the official Firefox installer and is mainly for the benefit of people who are worried that it might harm their system or that they might do it incorrectly and overwrite their existing Firefox version.

Let's roll...

Backup your firefox profile, just in case the new version corrupts it (nothing bad happened to my profile).

$ cd ~/.mozilla
$ tar -cMf firefox.tar firefox/

Now install Firefox 1.1 Alpha 1.

$cd ~
$ wget ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/deerpark/alpha1/linux-i686/en-US/deerpark-alpha1.installer.tar.gz
$ tar -zxf deerpark-alpha1.installer.tar.gz
$ sudo firefox-installer/firefox-installer

Installer wizard (custom install):

1. Click Forward
2. Click Accept
3. Select Custom for install type
4. Click Forward
5. Click "Yes" to create the directory
6. Select any components you want to install.
7. Click Forward.
8. Click Install.

Run Firefox 1.1

$ /usr/local/firefox/firefox

Use the above executable when making a shortcut. Do *not* use the firefox-bin executable.

Kyral
June 11th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Works perfectly! I heart much :D

pdk001
June 11th, 2005, 02:53 AM
i will try it thx guy

vassalle
June 11th, 2005, 03:11 AM
great tip! tried it but somehow the plugins are not in there.. any shortcuts on how i can get the working plugins in my old firefox to work with the new firefox 1.01 ?

shakin
June 11th, 2005, 03:41 AM
great tip! tried it but somehow the plugins are not in there.. any shortcuts on how i can get the working plugins in my old firefox to work with the new firefox 1.01 ?

Plugins or extensions?

Plugins like Flash Player are in ~/.mozilla/plugins and should be shared. I'm not sure about Java or mplayer... I haven't checked those yet.

Some of your extensions will be disabled until you update them. TabBrowser prefs and all-in-one gestures were disabled for me until I clicked the update icon in the corner of the browser window. Greasemonkey is still disabled until they release an update.

notos
June 11th, 2005, 11:45 AM
i have made this (instaled it in /opt/deerpark) rember its a alpha and should be installed for Testing Propouses Only you should make it clear for newbie users :)

JimmyJazz
June 27th, 2005, 10:52 AM
how do I remove it so i can use the regular version?

shakin
June 28th, 2005, 07:00 PM
how do I remove it so i can use the regular version?

You need to update your shortcuts so intead of pointing to '/usr/local/firefox/firefox' they just point to 'firefox'.

You can also remove the /usr/local/firefox directory if you want to reclaim the disk space.

fishfork
October 20th, 2005, 03:26 AM
How to do it without messing up your system and confusing the package manager (hopefully!)

The Howto is on the wiki at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion. Comments here please.

chanders
October 20th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Any particular reason you want to use version 1.05? If not, then you can get the latest using synaptic.

One common problem people usually have is that they dont uninstall Firefox first. Dont worry, ALL of your stuff will be safe, including your bookmarks etc. When uninstalling the old version just select remove, NOT completly remove.

When it is finished, look for it again (mozilla-firefox) and then mark for installation. When it is installed you should have a brand spanking new Firefox.

aysiu
October 20th, 2005, 05:59 AM
1.5 is the newest beta version.
1.05 was too versions ago from the latest stable version (1.07).
They're different.
1.5 is not in the repositories--hence the HowTo.

chanders
October 20th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Didnt know a 1.5 beta existed..... I stand enlightened :D

aysiu
October 20th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Didnt know a 1.5 beta existed..... I stand enlightened :D I'm using beta now. It's great. Very speedy. And extension developers have been slowly updating to be compatible with 1.5 (I'd say it's about 50/50 now on extension compatibility).

crypto178
October 20th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Great how-to, worked with no issues and I can feel the speed difference.
Could someone explain what does the dpkg-divert step?

EDIT : woops, the totem plugin doesn't work anymore (firefox closes down when browsing pages with embedded videos in it), anyone else experiencing that?

aboe
October 20th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Great how-to, worked with no issues and I can feel the speed difference.
Could someone explain what does the dpkg-divert step?

EDIT : woops, the totem plugin doesn't work anymore (firefox closes down when browsing pages with embedded videos in it), anyone else experiencing that?

Me too...totem doesn't work in beta, but it works in the 1.07...so it is plugin related..cause we copied the plugins from 1.07 to the beta...

No6
October 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM
If you want speed, have you tried fasterfox? http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/

It is great. (Also works in 1.0x)

Syphin
October 20th, 2005, 12:50 PM
wow this loads alot faster then i thought it would, thanks :)

Might want to note in the howto, I just did a fresh system install, and had to install 'libstdc++5' before firefox1.5 would launch at all. after that, works great :)

guyomarj
October 20th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Nice and easy...

And, yes, it IS faster.

fishfork
October 20th, 2005, 08:23 PM
woops, the totem plugin doesn't work anymore (firefox closes down when browsing pages with embedded videos in it), anyone else experiencing that?
Your right. I think the plugin's not compatible with 1.5. I've updated the howto. I've also changed it to link to the plugins instead of copying them, which is probably a better way to do it.

Cl1mh4224rd
October 22nd, 2005, 04:45 AM
Thanks for this. :)

I do have a minor problem, though, and it concerns extensions. Every one I've installed so far has given me a "chrome registration" error, and yet seems to install and work just fine. Has anyone else had this problem? I did have the older version running when I first ran 1.5b2, though. Anyone think that could've been the cause? If so, is there anyway to correct it?

Ivhassel
October 22nd, 2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks for this. :)

I do have a minor problem, though, and it concerns extensions. Every one I've installed so far has given me a "chrome registration" error, and yet seems to install and work just fine. Has anyone else had this problem? I did have the older version running when I first ran 1.5b2, though. Anyone think that could've been the cause? If so, is there anyway to correct it?

I'm practically sure you have the AdBlock plugin, and that's what's causing your troubles. Try uninstalling it. Worked for me to solve this, though I had to restart Firefox twice :???:

Van_Gogh
October 23rd, 2005, 02:10 AM
I'm practically sure you have the AdBlock plugin, and that's what's causing your troubles. Try uninstalling it. Worked for me to solve this, though I had to restart Firefox twice :???:

Hi,

I just installed Mozilla Firefox 1.5 and I had the same problem as Ivhassel the first time I started FF 1.5 up and I positively don't have adblock installed.

However, It was just the first time I started up and gone now...

Cl1mh4224rd
October 23rd, 2005, 03:57 AM
I'm practically sure you have the AdBlock plugin, and that's what's causing your troubles.
Unfortunately, no... I don't have AdBlock installed. :|

beeldings
October 23rd, 2005, 05:09 AM
Thank you for such a helpful guide. I cannot believe how much faster the Beta version is compared to the Ubuntu build. The only problems I experienced when I installed the Beta version was that I had to reset my preferences and reinstall all of my extensions. I loaded in Fasterfox and now my Firefox blows Opera and Epiphany out of the water!

wellery
October 23rd, 2005, 09:20 AM
I'm getting an error:

/opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

wellery
October 23rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
I'm getting an error:

/opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Ignore. It's fixed now. I just had to install the libstdc++5 package.

drummer
October 23rd, 2005, 10:39 AM
Holy. Friggin. Crud monkeys... Beta 2 is soooo fast!! I *LOVE* it :D

I too had an error pop up about the chrome registry.. can't remember what it said though. I didn't have my old bookmarks in beta 2 even after copting bookmarks.html from the old .mozilla directory. So I just moved my old .mozilla directory back to where it was (~/.mozilla) and opened beta 2.. the error popped up again but it seems fine now. I also looked it .mozilla and it looks like it created a separate chrome profile for itsself (or whatever it's called, 7dblah.default)... as long as it's working I'm happy, and I don't think I'll be going back to the default/stable firefox any time soon :P

The forms need some prettying up though - http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=21812

Footer
October 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
How to do it without messing up your system and confusing the package manager (hopefully!)

The Howto is on the wiki at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion. Comments here please.

Great 'How to' ... Thanks! But my question is this: Why is the Ubuntu build of Firefox so slow??? This could be bad news for someone trying out Ubuntu for the first time since browsing the web is most likely one of the first things they'd try ... right? It takes almost FOREVER to load and everything about it feels sluggish yet the exact same version from Mozilla makes a world of speed difference.

I'm currently using ver. 1.0.7 from Mozilla and it works great. I tried ver. 1.5 beta and it's even better and I'd use it right now if more of my favorite extensions worked ... Thus, I wait.

:)

linasgricius
October 23rd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Ubuntu 5.10, FF 1.5b2 - unable to use "HELP->Check for updates..." menu... Am I alone?

bored2k
October 23rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Update menu worked here.

Donza
October 23rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
Update menu isn't working. What could be the problem? I have installed extensions: mouse gestures, fasterfox, downthemall, adblock plus.

XDevHald
October 23rd, 2005, 07:44 PM
Update menu isn't working. What could be the problem? I have installed extensions: mouse gestures, fasterfox, downthemall, adblock plus.
If it's not enabled that means it's not ready for updates to be processed. I have the Check for Updates, but it's not highlighted for clicking.

Is what you mean?

23meg
October 23rd, 2005, 07:56 PM
Is there any word on when approximately 1.5 will be final?

linasgricius
October 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM
Ubuntu 5.10, FF 1.5b2 - unable to use "HELP->Check for updates..." menu... Am I alone?

I've made some changes:

chown my_user:my_group -R /opt/firefox/*

as it was root'ed.

After that menu is enabled.

And problem was with flash plugin: I had to install it by hands...

fishfork
October 23rd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Great 'How to' ... Thanks! But my question is this: Why is the Ubuntu build of Firefox so slow???

Glad I'm not the only one to have noticed this then! I don't know why it's so slow, but it is extremely annoying on slightly older hardware. There's a bug open about it (http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15534), but no progress - seems it may be due to some of the patches in the Ubuntu version.

sailor420
October 24th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Very good and very fast, but it doesnt seem to have imported my profile... Any ideas?

Footer
October 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Glad I'm not the only one to have noticed this then! I don't know why it's so slow, but it is extremely annoying on slightly older hardware. There's a bug open about it (http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15534), but no progress - seems it may be due to some of the patches in the Ubuntu version.

Imagine if you're a brand new Linux user and out to try Linux for the first time...and you try Ubuntu/Kubuntu. And assume you have fairly new hardware (P4/Athlon XP 3000+). All goes well with the install, all hardware recognized, all is well so far! Then you say, let's browse the Internet and see how that goes? You quickly realize that your browsing experience is quite hampered by a sluggish Firefox. And you say <gasp>, I guess I'll just stick to Windows, Linux is STILL not ready for primetime!

Fortunately, this was not the scenario for me as I've been using Linux for awhile ... But this would truly be ashame for any Linux newb out there.

Well, I'm glad to see there's a bug open about it but it appears that it may not get resolved until Dapper ... <sigh>

fishfork
October 25th, 2005, 12:08 AM
And assume you have fairly new hardware (P4/Athlon XP 3000+).
Is the slowdown noticeable on a machine this fast? If so all I can say is ... wow, how did they mess it up so badly? :( Thought it would only make a difference on old machines like my Athlon 800.

drummer
October 25th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Is the slowdown noticeable on a machine this fast? If so all I can say is ... wow, how did they mess it up so badly? :( Thought it would only make a difference on old machines like my Athlon 800.
I was getting lag of about 5 or so seconds when FF was rendering some pages.. it just locked up for that time, with 100% cpu usage. And that's on an Athlon64 3000, 512meg ram :?

Footer
October 25th, 2005, 12:46 AM

Yes, it is quite noticeable. I have an Athlon XP 3000+ with 1GB of RAM and it took about FOREVER to just load Firefox itself! Seriously, I would sit there and watch the bouncing fox for a good 30-45 seconds before the browswer would even come up and start to load pages. Very pathetic. The 1.0.7 build from Mozilla loads in mere seconds.

vassie
October 25th, 2005, 08:55 AM
I've made some changes:

as it was root'ed.

I had a problem installing the Flash plugin too, I found that if you close the installer screen and kept try, it will install, had to do it about 5 times

Ben

Mr_J_
October 26th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I followed the entire thing up to where I'm suposed to start firefox with the firefox command and it won't start with that command.
I wen't to Opt and started it up myself.
Got some chrome errors, which I believe is due to some pluggins I had, but I don't mind that.

My shortcut to start firefox won't start because the firefox command doesn't exist.
Everything seems to work... In terms of the HOWTO that is.
The thing is. I was using Firefox to read to HOWTO, so it was open while the changes where being made. Could that affect the result?
I have the lib mentioned earlier in the howto.

corbs83
October 26th, 2005, 06:59 PM

fishfork
October 26th, 2005, 10:48 PM
My shortcut to start firefox won't start because the firefox command doesn't exist.
It should exist! What does
ls -l /usr/bin/firefox* give?

fishfork
October 26th, 2005, 10:55 PM
MIddle clicking a tab used to close it, now it loads CNN.com

What the?!

EDIT: In fact, it just seems to load a random site. How can I return to the good old days of the middle-click close?

By the way though, thanks for install guide for Fx 1.5 beta2 ... It's so much faster than the default.

How bizarre! It seems to be doing a google I'm Feeling Lucky search on the clipboard contents, or maybe something else. You could try forums.mozillazine.org - someone there might know why it does this.

bionnaki
October 28th, 2005, 06:19 AM
I can only run this as root from the terminal.

the output from ls -l /usr/bin/firefox* gives:

bill@ubuntu:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/firefox*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2005-10-28 00:01 /usr/bin/firefox -> /opt/firefox/firefox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 2005-10-26 05:03 /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu -> ../lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox
bill@ubuntu:~$

any ideas on how to change this?

kakashi
October 28th, 2005, 06:36 AM
i have just read the tutotrial and have have 1 comment.
don't install 1.5B as default firefox.

best thing to do is to unpack firefox in you home direcotry and launch it using the script given or create a launcher for it and place it on your taskbar.

bionnaki
October 28th, 2005, 06:39 AM
why?

drummer
October 28th, 2005, 06:45 AM
i have just read the tutotrial and have have 1 comment.
don't install 1.5B as default firefox.

best thing to do is to unpack firefox in you home direcotry and launch it using the script given or create a launcher for it and place it on your taskbar.
If it's not set as the default FF, opening a link from any other application will load in the old FF, not the beta 2.

@bionnaki: perhaps the 'firefox' file that's linked to doesn't have the right permissions, should probably be 755 to allow every user to execute it.

bionnaki
October 28th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I figured it out.
thanks!

b_chris
October 29th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Ok stupid question, how do you install package libstdc++5 ??

I know, I know, but I'm only new.

regards.

Arktis
October 29th, 2005, 10:57 AM
sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
OR
Open up synaptec, search for libstdc++5, and install it from there.

b_chris
October 29th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Thank-you.

subliminal
October 29th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Everything worked first time, but not having you're preferences, and if you use firefox to store passwords etc is a little annoying.
I tried to copy individual files over but, the new firefox didnt like them, so i copied the whole directory over ~/.mozilla.ubuntu/firefox/<profile name> to ~/.mozilla/firefox/ and changed the profiles.ini file at ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini

[Profile0]
Path=<profile name>

For, example my old mozilla profiles ~/.mozilla.ubuntu/firefox/fnsyg2jk.slt was moved to ~/.mozilla/firefox/fnsyg2jk.slt and profiles.ini now looks like

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=fnsyg2jk.slt

(Incidentally this profile folder has been with me since a much older version of the mozilla suite.)

When I started mozilla I got a chrome error thing, it checked out my extensions, told me they wouldnt work and asked if I wanted to check for updates, I did and most now work. No sign of any more chrome error things so I assume it's happy. :D

GoA
October 30th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Is adblock working for everyone? If yes then I have a problem. It doesn't show any links to block ads.

bionnaki
October 30th, 2005, 06:53 PM
adblock seems broken...
it'll block ads just fine, but you
have to right>click>copy image location
and manually enter this link into
adblock (tools>adblock>preferences)

MihaiM
October 31st, 2005, 06:29 AM
I've made some changes:

as it was root'ed.

I did chown the files to my user but still not solved. Check for updates is still not clickable.

I've installed flash manually too

23meg
October 31st, 2005, 06:30 AM
Anyone using Tab Mix or Tab Mix Plus? Is the option for saving sessions working for you?

openmind
October 31st, 2005, 09:45 AM
For everyone having trouble with extensions on 1.5beta, The Nightly Tester Tools Extension (http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/%7Edave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html) will get most of them running in this version. There's a couple I'm still having problems with, but 90% of them will work with this extension.

MihaiM
October 31st, 2005, 07:50 PM
Did someone figure out how to enable the "Check for updates" funtion?
I ask because Firefox 1.5 PR1 shoud be out any moment now and it would be nice to have it updated automatic when it comes out.

.Danny
October 31st, 2005, 09:35 PM
Flash is still not working for me. I have sound however I don't see any actual content.

Can anyone tell me which plugins firefox uses? Since there's like 3 or 4 plugins directory. I'd like to try deleting them all and then downloading the flash one from Macromedia itself.

CodeOptimist
November 1st, 2005, 01:51 AM
Nice howto - I followed it and got 1.5b2 working under Breezy. However, I got the "chrome registration" (or somesuch) error as a couple other reported above when I first started Firefox. The second time I started it, there were no problems.

I installed some 1.5b2-compatible extensions (SessionSaver, Bookmarks Synchronizer, Tabbrowser Extensions) and received the message again after restarting Firefox. Again, the second time I started it, it was fine (and thereafter), but the extensions don't seem to be working. Even trying to access an extension "Preferences" dialog (via the Extensions panel) does nothing. I'm assuming this has something to do with the error message? Unfortunately, I didn't copy down the exact message, but I could try to reproduce it...

Any ideas? I'd really like to get these extensions working. :)

EDIT: Seems to be working now. I uninstalled the extensions, rebooted, and reinstalled them one-by-one. I did get the error again, but it turns out (by examining the terminal) that it was the TalkBack extension that was causing the issue.

.Danny
November 1st, 2005, 07:20 AM
I am freaking out here. I just can't get flash to work no matter what I do. And the mplayer plugins either.

When i type about:plugins they are there and enabled but they don't seem to work. Why? :confused:

crypto178
November 1st, 2005, 05:04 PM
One workaround to the totem plugin issue mentionned earlier is simply to use the mplayerplugin, the one available in the repositories is very, very, nice (proper gtk2 control bar, excellent integration with firefox and most of all, plays just about everything if you have the appropriate codecs -w32codecs-, even realmedia,wmv,apple.com/trailers qt stuff)

Flash is still not working for me. I have sound however I don't see any actual content.

Can anyone tell me which plugins firefox uses? Since there's like 3 or 4 plugins directory. I'd like to try deleting them all and then downloading the flash one from Macromedia itself.

If you followed this HOW-TO, you're using firefox 1.5 beta installed in /opt/firefox, right?
If it's the case, you can ~safely try these commands :
sudo rm -r /opt/firefox/plugins
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins

After that flash should be fine if it worked before (with breezy stock firefox). If it doesnt, please give us the output of
ls /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/
and/or try to reinstall all necessary plugins using synaptic.

.Danny
November 1st, 2005, 06:24 PM
I followed this tutorial yes. After I installed it and was done flash worked.. for a while. Then suddenly it stoped working. I've got no idea why or what I've done.

I tried to remove all plugin packages and reinstall but no go, even downloaded flash from their webpage but that one doesn't work either.

danny@Ryiah:~$ ls /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/
flashplayer.xpt libflashplayer.so

When I do about:plugins in Firefox they are there, and it says enabled. But it's just not working, no matter what I do. It's slowly driving me insane by now, trying to fix this for days.

sal
November 2nd, 2005, 01:14 AM
I've made some changes:

as it was root'ed.

yes, this worked to get rid of the chrome start error and also to let firefox use flash. let me ask you though, how would i go about getting sound in flash now.
thanks.

**Update:
i got sound in flash working by copying the mozilla-firefoxrc from the /etc/mozilla-firefox directory to the /opt/firefox directory

veloct
November 2nd, 2005, 01:46 AM
I've made some changes:

as it was root'ed.

Thanks for the tip. Worked just great for me and it updated 1.5b2 to 1.5 RC 1 without a hitch.

MihaiM
November 2nd, 2005, 05:45 AM
New version is out and autoupdate does not work, even with the chown tip.
I would like to update with throught the updater, not by downloading the new version and manually unpack it in place.

magnusbb
November 2nd, 2005, 12:17 PM
No, auto-update does not work. But why do that? It's very simple to upgrade manually.

First remove the /opt/firefox directory. Then untar the new version to the same place. Then link the plugin directory with "/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins" - and restart Firefox.

That's all there is to it. Mine works! And I hope a lot of bugs are fixed, though Beta 2 worked pretty well on my system.

And this is the last time you have to do it manually. In the release notes for RC1 I read:

"Automated update to streamline product upgrades. Notification of an update is more prominent, and updates to Firefox may now be half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved."

Snakey
November 2nd, 2005, 12:23 PM
No, auto-update does not work. But why do that? It's very simple to upgrade manually. Why? Because it's even more simpler to use auto-update ;)

magnusbb
November 2nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
When it works, yes, of course.

In other news; I am happy to tell that Firefox now (finally) remembers the scrolling position of a web page when switching between pages. At least, that has been a huge problem for me in the past.

fishfork
November 3rd, 2005, 12:55 AM
OK, for all the people having problems with auto-update, you might try running firefox as root:

$ sudo su
Password:
# firefox
# exit
$

When you run it as root, Check for Updates in the Help menu is enabled, and you can update from there. Running firefox once as root like this also seems to fix the annoying chrome corruption error. Let me know if it works for you.

manicka
November 3rd, 2005, 11:16 AM
This How-To is also available at the Ubuntu Document Storage Facility (http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Main_Page)

MrRoboto
November 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
OK, for all the people having problems with auto-update, you might try running firefox as root:

$ sudo su
Password:
# firefox
# exit
$

When you run it as root, Check for Updates in the Help menu is enabled, and you can update from there. Running firefox once as root like this also seems to fix the annoying chrome corruption error. Let me know if it works for you.

isn't enough to give yourself permission to /opt/firefox?
i'm at work so i can't try right now.

hallkbrdz
November 3rd, 2005, 01:02 PM
And wow is it ever faster. :p If I could get BB to not write to both the LCD and VGA port on my laptop, it would probably be twice again faster... :rolleyes:

The only "bad" thing is I have to go and re-establish my password sites (like this forum). And there may be some way around that. But if rc1 is more stable that 1.07, that is fine (1.06 always seemed more stable than the quickly patched 1.07 to me).

Bryan

ubuntumaneh
November 3rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
I have installed in two computers this new firefox. Fast to install, fast to use. Nice how-to.

One further comment, in one of the computer Im still using hoary. The how-to works as well. Cool.

veloct
November 3rd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Not to hijack or derail the thread but has anyone tried this with thunderbird?

jeremy
November 3rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
isn't enough to give yourself permission to /opt/firefox?
i'm at work so i can't try right now.
I have done this, and, yes, it works.

Animus
November 3rd, 2005, 08:36 PM
I can't get this to work at all, I type in the command sudo cp firefox-1.5b2.tar.gz /opt/ and all I get is "cp: cannot stat `firefox-1.5b2.tar.gz': No such file or directory
". I thought this might be because I download the first release Candidate, however even by changing the command to "sudo cp firefox-1.5rc1.tar.gz" I get the same response. I couldn't find the Beat 2 to download. Anyone have any idea whats going on?

Animus
November 3rd, 2005, 10:36 PM
Hello?

hallkbrdz
November 4th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Has anyone got adblock to actually block anything with this release? It must need a new revision (loads but no adblock tags around graphics).

Bryan

seiflotfy
November 4th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I can't get this to work at all, I type in the command sudo cp firefox-1.5b2.tar.gz /opt/ and all I get is "cp: cannot stat `firefox-1.5b2.tar.gz': No such file or directory
". I thought this might be because I download the first release Candidate, however even by changing the command to "sudo cp firefox-1.5rc1.tar.gz" I get the same response. I couldn't find the Beat 2 to download. Anyone have any idea whats going on?
i think ur not in the right folder

jeremy
November 4th, 2005, 09:21 AM
You should create the /opt directory first:
sudo mkdir /opt
then continue with:
sudo cp firefox-1.5rc1.tar.gz /opt/
etc.........

boles
November 4th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I have everything working great, including extensions.
The only problem I have is with the plugins. I can't seem to get the vlc-plugin acroread-plugin and flashplayer working.

When I go to about: plugins I only see the OpenOffice.org and default plugin.

Hope anyone can help me on this.

Animus
November 4th, 2005, 04:25 PM
When I try sudo mkdir /opt I get the following error:

mkdir: cannot create directory `/opt': File exists

Any ideas?

Animus
November 4th, 2005, 04:29 PM
I got the previous command to work, however I get this when I try sudo tar xzvf firefox-1.5b2.tar.gz.

tar: firefox-1.5b2.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

fishfork
November 4th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Animus, you need to replace firefox-1.5b2.tar.gz with whatever the file you downloaded is called. I also think you would find this easier if you learned a bit more about the linux command line. It can be a bit intimidating to linux novices, but the basics aren't that hard to pick up. There are plenty of sites you can find with google - one I came up with just now is tuxfiles (http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/cli.html). There's some stuff on the wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicCommands) too.

Regards,

Ben

Animus
November 4th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I got it installed on my own. Now how do I create icons for it? I removed the previous firefox, and the icons along with it, and now whenever I want to use firefox I have to open the terminal up. Anyone know how I'd go about getting some icons made up for it?

Imrahil
November 5th, 2005, 01:36 AM
What is going on here is that ubuntu's firefox changed its config to better match windows behavior (middle click closes tab) whereas unix default behavior is middle click loads clipboard contents. The new firefox no longer as the ubuntu specific tweaks.

To change this or any other behavior setting in firefox type this url:

about:config

then search for middlemouse.contentLoadURL
make sure value is set to false.

Neat huh?

MIddle clicking a tab used to close it, now it loads CNN.com

What the?!

EDIT: In fact, it just seems to load a random site. How can I return to the good old days of the middle-click close?

By the way though, thanks for install guide for Fx 1.5 beta2 ... It's so much faster than the default.

bionnaki
November 5th, 2005, 02:04 AM
you rule

muzza
November 6th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Well... I downloaded the .tar.gz file to my desktop, but I can't get past the first command line.

I get this reply; cp: cannot stat `firefox-1.5rc1.tar.gz': No such file or directory

I tried creating a new folder called 'Firefox' in /opt, but it wouldn't allow it.

What do I do now?

drummer
November 6th, 2005, 03:20 PM
before running the first command (sudo cp firefox-1.5rc1.tar.gz /opt/), make sure you're in the same directory as the tarball you just downloaded. If it's on the desktop, do this in a terminal first
cd ~/Desktopthat'll change directory to the desktop and then you can run the first command in the wiki.

muzza
November 7th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks Drummer. That worked. I noticed that the HowTo actually said to change to the appropriate directory. (damn newbies!!)

Well, I got it installed, but it's acting very weird.
- My bookmarks toolbar is empty and I can't add to it
- the bookmarks are there in the Bookmarks drop list, but they don't work
- the only way to link to my bookmarks is to open 'Manage Bookmarks...' and double click on a link
- The current URL doesn't show in the address bar
- the spinning Ubuntu icon (top right corner) doesn't spin when pages are loading
- the forward, back, reload and stop buttons are constantly greyed out

I've read this whole thread and I seem to be alone with these weird goings-on.

Any more ideas???

fishfork
November 7th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks Drummer. That worked. I noticed that the HowTo actually said to change to the appropriate directory. (damn newbies!!)
That's probably because I just added it to the howto. :)

Well, I got it installed, but it's acting very weird.
- My bookmarks toolbar is empty and I can't add to it
- the bookmarks are there in the Bookmarks drop list, but they don't work
- the only way to link to my bookmarks is to open 'Manage Bookmarks...' and double click on a link
- The current URL doesn't show in the address bar
- the spinning Ubuntu icon (top right corner) doesn't spin when pages are loading
- the forward, back, reload and stop buttons are constantly greyed out

I've read this whole thread and I seem to be alone with these weird goings-on.

Any more ideas???
All I can suggest is starting with a fresh profile. If you followed the howto, your old profile should have been renamed to .mozilla.ubuntu, so you can safely delete .mozilla in your home directory. Do this:

rm -r ~/.mozilla
and then try to start firefox again. Hope this helps,

Ben

23meg
November 7th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Has anyone been able to get Java (Sun JRE) working with this version? If so I'd appreciate a few pointers; for me it works in Ubuntu's 1.07 build but not on 1.5rc1, even after symlinking the plugin.

manicka
November 7th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Java is working for me
I have both 1.4 blackdown and 1.5 installed. I have no idea which one it is using. My guess would be 1.5

benplaut
November 8th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Java is working for me
I have both 1.4 blackdown and 1.5 installed. I have no idea which one it is using. My guess would be 1.5

check about:plugins... blackdown is perfect for me, sun1.5 is b0rked

domino
November 8th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Those getting that chrome error using the default plugin/extention directory, can you try disabling the extension TalkBack 1.5 and/or DOM Inspector 1.8? I disabled those and I have not gotten the chrome error since.

Thanks

eyebrowman92
November 8th, 2005, 05:24 PM
i cant figure out how to install firefox 1.5. i downloaded the tar to my desktop, but now what?

Mizzou_Engineer
November 8th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I can't get the Flash plugin to work at all, even after manually installing it.

drummer
November 8th, 2005, 09:13 PM
i cant figure out how to install firefox 1.5. i downloaded the tar to my desktop, but now what?
Just follow the instructions in the wiki, you need to execute the comands there in a terminal.

23meg
November 8th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Java is working for me

For me it's fine in 1.0.7 but not in 1.5. What did you do to get it working?

manicka
November 8th, 2005, 10:38 PM
For me it's fine in 1.0.7 but not in 1.5. What did you do to get it working?
All I did was installl jre1.5 from the plf repos. I have the blackdown and plf versions installed. Installed Firefox as per the wiki how-to and it worked.

I've pointed some apps like openoffice at jre1.5 but I have no idea which one Firefox is using.

Ubuntu Maniac
November 9th, 2005, 12:17 AM
this is eyebrowman92, i made a new account. ive followed the instruction but i keep getting"the file or folder does not exist" what do ido?

Sykil
November 9th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Is there anyway to do this easily on an AMD64 machine? I'm not a fan of compiling from source. :x

23meg
November 9th, 2005, 04:26 AM
All I did was installl jre1.5 from the plf repos.

The plf version did it for me, thanks for the pointer!

eyebrowman92
November 9th, 2005, 04:37 AM
can someone help me?

ptepper
November 9th, 2005, 09:37 AM
I added a similar page to the wiki for Thunderbird:

http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThunderbirdNewVersion

There are many bugfixes and nice new features in the new versions of t-bird. For example, there's a problem with 1.0.7 copying mail to IMAP Sent folders, which seems to have been resolved in 1.5. Version 1.5 can also also be set to beep with new mail, which I don't think is available in 1.0.7.

manicka
November 9th, 2005, 09:41 AM
can someone help me?

http://wiki.ubuntu-fr.org/doc/plf

manicka
November 9th, 2005, 12:12 PM

I've added this how-to to the Ubuntu Document Storage Facility :)

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/ThunderbirdNewVersion

ptepper
November 10th, 2005, 08:08 AM
I've added this how-to to the Ubuntu Document Storage Facility :)

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/ThunderbirdNewVersion

Cool, thanks :smile:

kevcart3
November 10th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Hey, thanks for the cool guide, one question though:

I had applied the tweak to get a nicer "form style" in Firefox by replacing the "res" directory in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox.

I found the "res" directory in /opt/firefox/res and replaced the files, but it doesn't seem to change the form style, any ideas?

I have replaced the stuff in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox AND /opt/firefox/res.

:confused:

Cuppa-Chino
November 10th, 2005, 09:49 PM
sorry to have to pester you guys, but I just cannot find the files I need to change to get it to register as firefox 1.5

sites always notice me as 1.0.7 and therefore some plugins and so on do not work - which file do I need to edit - I have tried about:config I have tried looking through all the *.js files:confused:

drummer
November 10th, 2005, 11:10 PM
EDIT - oops, i misread your question Cuppa-Chino

EDIT 2 - my install registers as version 1.5, not sure why yours wouldn't.. either way, this workaround might help: http://vale.homelinux.net/wordpress/?p=18 just needed to google a bit.

oobuntoo
November 10th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Is adblock working for everyone? If yes then I have a problem. It doesn't show any links to block ads.

I suggest that you use Adblock Plus instead. Go to this link http://bene.sitesled.com/install.htm

and install Adblock Filterset.G Updater while you'are at it.
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1136

Cuppa-Chino
November 10th, 2005, 11:36 PM
thanks drummer, thought I had googled enough

did work in the end by me manually running around and just deleting all the *.js and all associated stuff and then did a clean install

that worked.

I had ended up with lots of profiles from trying and trying and took care deleting them all, might be good to repeat the delete command instructions at the end of the wiki.... :oops:

oobuntoo
November 10th, 2005, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=corbs83]MIddle clicking a tab used to close it, now it loads CNN.com

What the?!

Type "about:config" into address (URL) field. Search for "middlemouse.contentLoadURL" and change it's value to "false"

Cuppa-Chino
November 11th, 2005, 12:16 AM
RC2 is out # Mozilla Firefox für Linux (http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/software/browser/mozilla_firefox/?url=3947)(8,1 MB) - link is from computerbase.de

wish me luck getting it to work after my problems with RC1

Also and more importantly:
hope this fixes the memory issue I have - Firefox uses up to 150MB of RAM, seems excessive does it not? Has anybody else got this and fixed it?

drummer
November 11th, 2005, 12:36 AM
hmm.. it's not official on the firefox site, RC1 is still the one you can download there, but RC2 is in the release notes.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/1.5.html
Here's what's new in Firefox 1.5 RC 2:

* Several fixes to automated update system.

Does the auto update feature update from RC1 to RC2? I did an update just now, but don't know if my FF is now RC2.

kevcart3
November 11th, 2005, 04:46 AM
I updated to RC2 manually, because my check for updates button didn't work, and it still doesn't work :( It's greyed out for some reason

drummer
November 11th, 2005, 06:02 AM
It's greyed out for some reason
Might be because the firefox directory in /opt belongs to root and firefox is running as a user. The updater needs write access to the /opt/firefox directory, so I chowned /opt/firefox to me (sudo chown -R owen:owen /opt/firefox) and it works fine.

veloct
November 11th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Might be because the firefox directory in /opt belongs to root and firefox is running as a user. The updater needs write access to the /opt/firefox directory, so I chowned /opt/firefox to me (sudo chown -R owen:owen /opt/firefox) and it works fine.

You stole the words right out of my fingers

ngms27
November 11th, 2005, 02:20 PM
RC2 hangs my machine after a few pages. You can move the mouse, the keyboard doesn't work so you cannot get to a terminal, close X anything. A complete lockup. This was installed as per this thread.

Nothing has ever hung my two installs of Ubuntu previously. The only fix is a power recycle.

JonnyT

sailor420
November 11th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I had a lock with it too. Not that bad, just kicked me out to the Feedback tool, but it was the first lockup I'd seen with Firefox since 0.5 days.

Cuppa-Chino
November 11th, 2005, 11:38 PM
actually installed the ubuntu 1.0.7 back on and then went to RC2 - I have not had any problems at all, on the other hand I have been brutal again and deleted all profiles etc

jdong
November 11th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I lost a bunch of settings and all my bookmarks doing a Check For Updates over to 1.5RC2 -- I think the updater may have still been broken in RC1 -- it worked fine on Windows though!

Footer
November 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Anyone know how to get the SessionSaver extension working with FF 1.5 RC1? I think I've found a version that works:

http://adblock.ethereal.net/alchemy.cgi/SessionSaver

But the 'install' button doesn't work on my system and I don't know how to install the .jar file after downloading! :confused:

Any help, greatly appreciated!!!

Juippisi
November 12th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Anyone know how to get the SessionSaver extension working with FF 1.5 RC1? I think I've found a version that works:

But the 'install' button doesn't work on my system and I don't know how to install the .jar file after downloading! :confused:

Try adding the http://adblock.ethereal.net page to the "Allow this site to install software" -list.

Juippisi
November 12th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Does anyone know how to adblock images without using the adblock extension? I've been hearing stories that it would be possible. If I remember correctly, bored2k was telling something about it.

linasgricius
November 12th, 2005, 03:30 PM

do File->open...

bored2k
November 12th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Does anyone know how to adblock images without using the adblock extension? I've been hearing stories that it would be possible. If I remember correctly, bored2k was telling something about it.

bored2k Juippis, http://rapidshare.de/files/7542085/hostperm.1.html || http://rapidshare.de/files/7542103/userContent.css.html
bored2k Juippis, go to CNN and note the banner on top (if it works you'll see it no more
bored2k Juippis, put hostperm.1 in $HOME/.mozilla/username/
bored2k Juippis, and userContent.CSS in $HOME/.mozilla/username/chrome/
bored2k Juippis, and restart

Juippisi
November 12th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Thanks again!
Works just fine :-).

Footer
November 13th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Try adding the http://adblock.ethereal.net page to the "Allow this site to install software" -list.

Hmmm ... I tried that but it didn't work...?

I also tried File --> Open as suggested by another post. That allows you to extract the file but not sure what to do with it after that? Maybe put it under ~.mozilla/firefox/my_profile.default/extensions/? or some such...? I haven't tried that but I'm not quite sure how to go about that or where to put it so it shows up as a valid, installed extension? Any other suggestions???

Thanks!

Footer
November 13th, 2005, 01:25 PM
do File->open...

WHOOHOO!!! I finally figured it out. Instead of trying to open the .jar file, I did File --> Open File (from within Firefox 1.5) on the .xpi file which installed the SessionSaver extension no hass!

After a couple of failed starts due to chrome registration errors, it finally came up and SessionSaver worked! Can't wait for 1.5 to come out final!

Thanks for the tips!!!

:KS

bionnaki
November 13th, 2005, 11:39 PM
you can also drag/drop into your extensions manager.

fishfork
November 14th, 2005, 12:45 AM
I use Privoxy (it's in the repositories) with an extremely cut-down default.action file. Then I put a little link on my bookmarks toolbar to http://config.privoxy.org/edit-actions-list?f=default which you can click to quickly add domains to the blocklist. It's almost as convenient as adblock, but much speedier (I find adblock really slows down page loads on my machine when the blocklist gets long).

akurashy
November 16th, 2005, 02:45 PM
well i gotta say it screwed 2 times on me =/, i lost my profiles and bookmarks because i had to reinstall the old version, since i lost all i gave it another try for firefox 1.5 gotta say it was worth it, very fast and all! :D

now i'm wondering, do i need to do the same thing when RC3 is out?

drummer
November 16th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Should be able to just use the auto upgrade feature in the help menu.

akurashy
November 16th, 2005, 11:55 PM
this is bugging me a while, firefox 1.5 takes a while to Look up for domains =/ is anyone getting this too?

23meg
November 16th, 2005, 11:59 PM
this is bugging me a while, firefox 1.5 takes a while to Look up for domains =/ is anyone getting this too?
Type about:config in the address bar and set the network.dns.disableIPV6 key to true.

MrRoboto
November 17th, 2005, 12:00 AM

in the URL write: about:config

search for ipv6 and doubleclik on network.dns.disableIPv6

restart firefox

Footer
November 17th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Has anyone noticed that FF 1.5 RC1 eats up your processor after several hours...like <24 for me. If I leave it running, the processor gets maxxed out in <24 hours. Maybe this has been taken care of in RC2 (or RC3?). I remember reading that others were having this problem with 1.0.X as well ... Maybe it's related to the kernel I'm running which is currently 2.6.12-9-k7 (AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor)?

Any thoughts/observations, greatly appreciated!

MrRoboto
November 17th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Has anyone noticed that FF 1.5 RC1 eats up your processor after several hours...like <24 for me. If I leave it running, the processor gets maxxed out in <24 hours. Maybe this has been taken care of in RC2 (or RC3?). I remember reading that others were having this problem with 1.0.X as well ... Maybe it's related to the kernel I'm running which is currently 2.6.12-9-k7 (AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor)?

never happend to me. anyway RC2 is already out, upgrade! :)

akurashy
November 17th, 2005, 12:17 AM
in the URL write: about:config

search for ipv6 and doubleclik on network.dns.disableIPv6

restart firefox

thanks! that worked smooth :D

Footer
November 17th, 2005, 12:42 AM
never happend to me. anyway RC2 is already out, upgrade! :)

OK, just upgraded to RC2. I'll give it 24 hours and post back here.

jdong
November 17th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Just to say, a Ubuntu developer informed us today that Firefox 1.5 RC2 is nearly ready for upload into Dapper.

fishfork
November 17th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Just to say, a Ubuntu developer informed us today that Firefox 1.5 RC2 is nearly ready for upload into Dapper.
Ah, I'd been wondering about this. Do you think there's a chance 1.5 could be added to Breezy Universe, or will it be a Backports job? Either would be very handy, considering the current speed problems with the version in the repositories.

jdong
November 17th, 2005, 01:32 AM
It'll be a Backports job

joakim2
November 17th, 2005, 10:18 AM

There are many bugfixes and nice new features in the new versions of t-bird. For example, there's a problem with 1.0.7 copying mail to IMAP Sent folders, which seems to have been resolved in 1.5. Version 1.5 can also also be set to beep with new mail, which I don't think is available in 1.0.7.

Starting calendar alarm service
./run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 24046 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Anyone else getting this?

Footer
November 17th, 2005, 06:00 PM
It'll be a Backports job

Could someone provide a brief explanation about backports and what a good sources.list should look like to include it (if, in fact, that's what needs to be done to accommodate).

Sorry for being a little off topic but ...

jadugarr
November 17th, 2005, 11:18 PM
I think 1.5 final is out. firefox just updated and restarted and now it says 1.5 in the about w/o the RC.

cbudden
November 17th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Nope, its RC3 http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/rc3.html

akurashy
November 18th, 2005, 12:17 AM
ok i restarted X, and i got this weird chrome errors, how can i fix them? i think it will appear everytime i restart X =/

nix4me
November 18th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Just installed 1.5 RC3. What a memory hog Firefox has become. Its consuming 249 meg right now.

Why is it getting worse and worse?

nix4me

jdong
November 18th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Part may be attributed to the bfcache that makes Firefox instantaneous when navigating back and forward.

akurashy
November 18th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Part may be attributed to the bfcache that makes Firefox instantaneous when navigating back and forward.

when Firefox 1.5 rc3 going to the backports? o.o:razz:

Footer
November 18th, 2005, 11:27 AM
OK, just upgraded to RC2. I'll give it 24 hours and post back here.

It's been more like 36 hours now but I'm happy to report that the processor usage is back to normal. Been running FF 1.5 RC2 for the entire time and usage is nice and low like it should be.

But I see RC3 is now out! <sigh>

jeremy
November 18th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I am using 1.5rc2 and when I do 'Help -> Check for updates' it checks, but says 'there are no updates available...' but rc3 is out now. Is anyone else getting this?

manicka
November 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I am using 1.5rc2 and when I do 'Help -> Check for updates' it checks, but says 'there are no updates available...' but rc3 is out now. Is anyone else getting this?
Firefox doesn't update itself that way, only the plugins/themes etc. You'll need to download the tarball and replace the directory in /opt as per the how-to

domino
November 18th, 2005, 01:06 PM
FF 1.5rc2 3 tabs/sites open and all plugins disabled used 120mb of memory, compared to Opera 3 tabs/sites 50mb. Both left running over 2hrs time. FF was fun while it lasted. Can someone tell me if the virtual memory usage matters? I can't seam to find the app's physical memory usage.

PenguinZdravko
November 18th, 2005, 01:06 PM
How can I know have I correctly installed Mozilla Firefox 1.5 RC3? In the about dialog it still shows build date 20051111, but I have removed the folder of 1.5 RC2.

jeremy
November 18th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Firefox doesn't update itself that way, only the plugins/themes etc. You'll need to download the tarball and replace the directory in /opt as per the how-to
Thanks for answering, but I think you are probably wrong about that, see the snapshot of my firefox preferences.

zwz
November 19th, 2005, 01:32 AM
I tried to install both 1.5rc2 and 1.5rc3 in breezy by strictly following the instructions, but got segfaults. Any ideas?

/opt/firefox/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 7726 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

akurashy
November 19th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Ok so, I think this is a question I been wondering, can we use themes, because I downloadeda theme and it didn't want to work everytime i restarted firefox..

jeremy
November 19th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks for answering, but I think you are probably wrong about that, see the snapshot of my firefox preferences.
I just found this at mozilla forums:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=343101

Footer
November 19th, 2005, 12:24 PM

It's BAAAAACK!!! I'm now running FF 1.5 RC3 and in less than 24 hours, my processor CPU load was maxxed at 100%. Closed/reopened FF and all is well, back to about 4-5%. Still running 2.6.12-9-k7 kernel ... Anyone else experiencing this? I sure hope they get this fixed before the final release.

Thanks.

nix4me
November 19th, 2005, 03:19 PM
It's BAAAAACK!!! I'm now running FF 1.5 RC3 and in less than 24 hours, my processor CPU load was maxxed at 100%. Closed/reopened FF and all is well, back to about 4-5%. Still running 2.6.12-9-k7 kernel ... Anyone else experiencing this? I sure hope they get this fixed before the final release.

Thanks.

Are you running any extensions?
I had similar problems and I think it was because of the user agent switcher i had loaded. Mine is running at 120 mb right now. Seems to be normal.

Mark

zwz
November 19th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I tried to install both 1.5rc2 and 1.5rc3 in breezy by strictly following the instructions, but got segfaults. Any ideas?

I traced it down to SCIM. If scim is removed, firefox 1.5rc starts up normally. But since I cannot live without SCIM, I'll have to downgrade to 1.0.7. :(

Cuppa-Chino
November 19th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I traced it down to SCIM. If scim is removed, firefox 1.5rc starts up normally. But since I cannot live without SCIM, I'll have to downgrade to 1.0.7. :(

what is SCIM ? I had posted on the enormous memory consumption earlier, any fixes?

tHub
November 19th, 2005, 08:58 PM
i had firefox 1.5 RC1 working fine, but one day i was browsing and a box popped up saying an important update had been downloaded and firefox needed to be restarted , since then i run firefox for a while and then it just closes out of nowhere.
Older version works fine.
heres the error:

th@ubuntu:~$ firefox
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not get the plugin manager
System error?:: Success

I just did a "fresh install" of 1.5 RC3 and im get this error message when i first start it:
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5548/200511191803331024x768scrot2hw.th.png (http://img44.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200511191803331024x768scrot2hw.png)
It runs but i get that error i first mentioned

curtis
November 19th, 2005, 11:47 PM
i had firefox 1.5 RC1 working fine, but one day i was browsing and a box popped up saying an important update had been downloaded and firefox needed to be restarted , since then i run firefox for a while and then it just closes out of nowhere.
Older version works fine.
heres the error:

th@ubuntu:~$ firefox
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not get the plugin manager
System error?:: Success

I just did a "fresh install" of 1.5 RC3 and im get this error message when i first start it:
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5548/200511191803331024x768scrot2hw.th.png (http://img44.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200511191803331024x768scrot2hw.png)
It runs but i get that error i first mentioned

Just a matter of interest, what theme are you using there?
It looks quite good.
But it is not GNOME I guess.

zwz
November 20th, 2005, 01:02 AM
what is SCIM ? I had posted on the enormous memory consumption earlier, any fixes?

It's an input method platform. http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/utils/scim. I am not sure if this problem has been fixed in scim-1.4.2, which has found its way into Dapper.

tHub
November 20th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Just a matter of interest, what theme are you using there?
It looks quite good.
But it is not GNOME I guess.
thats Xfce + Clearlooks-Graphite

Brando569
November 20th, 2005, 03:16 AM
all i have to say is wow..... i got used to the sluggish ubuntu firefox and grew to accept it, i installed RC3 and its amazingly fast. although this site did take 14 secs to load :rolls eyes:

Single
November 20th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Someone found a way.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=92303

Krobar
November 20th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Has anyone had problems using the right click > set as wallpaper function in RC3? I never tried the first two, just got RC3 working today, and the option seems to be missing and I'm not sure why.

Adblock Plus
Faster Fox
Tab Mix Plus

and that's about it I think for extensions.

PenguinZdravko
November 20th, 2005, 10:13 AM

Thanks.
Please, tell me whats your build date.

Footer
November 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Are you running any extensions?
I had similar problems and I think it was because of the user agent switcher i had loaded. Mine is running at 120 mb right now. Seems to be normal.

Mark

Yes, I'm running a few:

Tabbrowser Preferences
SessionSaver .2
Adblock Plus

However, I've been running FF 1.5 RC3 for well over 24 hours now without incident ... Processor is running at 4-5% as normal. GO FIGURE!

How do you measure how much memory it's using? Is that via command line somehow?

Thanks!

Footer
November 20th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Please, tell me whats your build date.

See attached thumbnail.

curtis
November 20th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I have it working fine with Faster fox, Foxy tunes, Ad-block, Tabbed prefs, Session saver.
On RC3.

doclivingston
November 20th, 2005, 01:19 PM
How do you measure how much memory it's using? Is that via command line somehow?

Measuring how much memory an application is using is a difficult question. A okay approximation can be gotten from opening the system monitor, and:
1) ignoring the "Memory" column. That is the size of the process's address space.
2) Taking the "RSS" value, subtracting the "Shared" value.

The value that gives you will be a bit low, because it doesn't include anything swapped to disk, or any of the shared libraries that are only used by that application. But it's about as good as you are going to get easily.

Footer
November 20th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Measuring how much memory an application is using is a difficult question. A okay approximation can be gotten from opening the system monitor, and:
1) ignoring the "Memory" column. That is the size of the process's address space.
2) Taking the "RSS" value, subtracting the "Shared" value.

The value that gives you will be a bit low, because it doesn't include anything swapped to disk, or any of the shared libraries that are only used by that application. But it's about as good as you are going to get easily.

Thanks for the explanation Doc! You gotta love Linux eh? I didn't realize all these details were available (only opened up System Monitor a couple of times in the past).

With two FF windows and each having about a dozen tabs, I'm only using 100MB or so of memory based on your formula. I'm happy with that since it's only 10% of my total physical memory.

treris
November 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I have (finally) updated to FF1.5 today and I must say, i'm glad of it, it's faster and moreover it renders some fonts nicer I think

all in all I don't think I'll be going back to 1.0.7

foxy123
November 20th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks a lot for the How-to. FF 1.5 loads much faster and feels snapier.

I wonder if anyone has tried TB 1.5 already and what version? RC1 is available from the official website, though on http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/ one can find RC3. I wonder which to try.

foxy123
November 21st, 2005, 02:08 AM
it also calls an old version of firefox from thunderbird. Does anyone know how to fix it?

ssam
November 21st, 2005, 06:20 PM
if you want to do this on powerpc then you can download it from here.

http://www.tygier.co.uk/linux/firefox.html

veloct
November 21st, 2005, 06:31 PM
I have FF 1.5RC3 and TB 1.5RC1 installed and both work as defaults in my system.

jrib
November 21st, 2005, 06:43 PM
it also calls an old version of firefox from thunderbird. Does anyone know how to fix it?

make sure that "system > preferences > preferred apps" is set to run the "firefox" command and not "mozilla-firefox" for your default browser

foxy123
November 22nd, 2005, 11:56 AM
thanks _jason, it fixed it.

I am trying to make traybiff extension work with 1.5. I had to compile it from source and point to mozilla-thunderbird-config, which points to 1.5 in opt. The current mozilla-thunderbird-config, which is in /usr/bin points to the old version and there is no mozilla-thunderbird-config in /opt/thunderbird. Any idea how to solve it?

syklitengutt
November 23rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
The tut works fine until the last few steps:
cd
mv .mozilla .mozilla-1.5
mv .mozilla.ubuntu .mozilla

I get:
mv: cannot overwrite directory `.mozilla-1.5/.mozilla'

I have closed FF when doing this.
And when I type firefox later, the old version starts...

byoon
November 23rd, 2005, 01:36 PM
ASTOUNDING!!!

It is amazing what one application can do to your experience of an entire system. The default firefox makes breezy feel old and decrepit (and I have an Athlon XP 2000 1 GB RAM). The new firefox makes breezy feel fast and alive.

I've been a full time Ubuntu user since Warty so I know how each version feels. Because web browsing (for most people) is so central to computer use today the fact that breezy's default firefox is sooooo laggy makes the entire system feel slow (even though breezy is tighter than any other release so far).

My wife and her sister have commented that ubuntu felt slower than Windows 2000 when I had it installed years back, and they said this without even being prompted. This hurt me to the core, but I think it is because of issues noted above. I seriously hope we can experience some major breakthroughs regarding performance in gnome and applications like firefox (Ubuntu version) which are so central to the computing experience.

For now, firefox 1.5 is working great. Thank you for the tutorial.

jrib
November 23rd, 2005, 01:48 PM
The tut works fine until the last few steps:
cd
mv .mozilla .mozilla-1.5
mv .mozilla.ubuntu .mozilla

I get:
mv: cannot overwrite directory `.mozilla-1.5/.mozilla'

I have closed FF when doing this.
And when I type firefox later, the old version starts...

that part is to remove the new version, is that what you are trying to do?

syklitengutt
November 23rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
I follow the tut the whole wayy but when I get to the end I get some errors.
And If I just compleete the tut and then start ff its version 1.0.7 that starts.

foxy123
November 23rd, 2005, 03:33 PM
And If I just compleete the tut and then start ff its version 1.0.7 that starts.
what are you trying to do? I mean, the tutorial ends with

To ensure it is used as the default version, modify the symbolic link in /usr/bin:

sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox
sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

Try it out: :-)

firefox

But you go further to remove 1.5 and replace it with 1.07 again. What is the point?

jrib
November 23rd, 2005, 04:37 PM

The bottom of the tutorial (The part that says "Removing") is for removing firefox1.5 if you are unhappy with it. If you just want to install it you would not do any of the commands in the "Removing" section.

assuming all you have done is what you pasted in that text file, do this part again:

chris@chris:~$ sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox
chris@chris:~$ sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

and then just run firefox:

chris@chris:~$ firefox

foxy123
November 23rd, 2005, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know how to use dev package from TB 1.07 with 1.5 or get a dev package for 1.5? I need to compile an extension and I need a thunderbird development packae for that. The one I have installed is pointing to an old version of TB.

I tried to edit mozilla-thunderbird-config, but stuck. I changed the prefix to /opt but I guess I need to change other paths as well, but I am not sure to what.

For example, the original mozilla-thunderbird-config has:

--cflags)
if test "/usr/include/mozilla-thunderbird" != /usr/include ; then
includes="-I/usr/include/mozilla-thunderbird"

but there is no /include dir in /opt/thunderbird...

Can anyone help?

Spider-One
November 25th, 2005, 08:36 AM
After a clean install of Ubuntu I followed this how to for the second time (first time worked great) but now it's as slow as ever. When generating a page it seems to free to a split second where I cannot click anything in Firefox, then suddenly it starts up like nothing happened, during the slow down I see extremely high CPU usage. And when a page is newly generated I try to scroll down but it takes a second to kick in and start scrolling, then it's fine at 1-2% CPU at best, until I open a link to a new page or new tab.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem that wasn't here on my first install? I see no noticable slow down in any app other than Firefox, so I'm baffled by this. Is there some tweak I'm missing that is supposed to be done by default? I've tried using a CPU specific kernel (K7, was using 386 for a while, and was using 386/K7 when it worked fine before) and it doesn't help.

Owdy
November 25th, 2005, 06:32 PM
edit: fixed

benplaut
November 25th, 2005, 06:47 PM
i'm receiving tons of "script on this page ahs stopped responding"... can someone try an ebay search and confirm?

Insane
November 26th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Well, it is a great tutorial. Thanks!

Footer
November 26th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Ever since installing FF 1.5 (currently running RC3), the links to web sites from within Thunderbird e-mail messages no longer open directly (worked fine under FF 1.0.7 and earlier versions). I have to 'Copy Link Location', then paste into FF to get to the website.

Anyone know the quick fix for this?

Thanks!

foxy123
November 26th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Ever since installing FF 1.5 (currently running RC3), the links to web sites from within Thunderbird e-mail messages no longer open directly (worked fine under FF 1.0.7 and earlier versions). I have to 'Copy Link Location', then paste into FF to get to the website.

Anyone know the quick fix for this?

Thanks!
try this:

make sure that "system > preferences > preferred apps" is set to run the "firefox" command and not "mozilla-firefox" for your default browser

Footer
November 26th, 2005, 02:41 PM
try this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _jason

Ahh yes, that did the trick! Sort of threw me for a loop though as I use KDE and couldn't figure out where this setting was. Logged in to GNOME and fixed it and it works perfectly back in KDE.

Thanks!

foxy123
November 26th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Ahh yes, that did the trick! Sort of threw me for a loop though as I use KDE and couldn't figure out where this setting was. Logged in to GNOME and fixed it and it works perfectly back in KDE.

Thanks!

I guess it should be in KDE Control Centre...

Footer
November 26th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I guess it should be in KDE Control Centre...

Yeah, I looked in there but couldn't find it. I honestly don't think it's possible in KDE to set this ... Maybe someone else will figure it out.

foxy123
November 26th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I looked in there but couldn't find it. I honestly don't think it's possible in KDE to set this ... Maybe someone else will figure it out.

it is definitely possible since I did it in SuSE, but have not used it for a while.

Found it: KControl Center/KDE Components/Component Chooser

quietglow
November 26th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Excellent guide...the RC3 is SUPER fast!

Footer
November 26th, 2005, 03:01 PM
it is definitely possible since I did it in SuSE, but have not used it for a while.

Found it: KControl Center/KDE Components/Component Chooser

Ahh, yes, you are right!!! I have nothing in the 'Web Browser' component chooser yet it works fine. Hmmmm ...

Revert
November 27th, 2005, 09:20 PM
I've installed 1.5 v. 3 following the instructions in this thread, and so far everything's been peachy. I got a chrome error a few times, and it wasn't set as my default browser for awhile, but all that's been worked out.

The one thing I'm having trouble with involves the search plugins in the top right. I know to delete them you just delete them from the the search plugins folder, but the thing is...I apparently don't have one. I know where the folder for the ones I've installed myself is, but the usual search plugins folder isn't in the normal directory and I haven't been able to find it through searching. Is this normal or did I screw something up during the install? Do other people have the search plugins folder in the normal directory?

jrib
November 27th, 2005, 10:56 PM
IDo other people have the search plugins folder in the normal directory?

/opt/firefox/searchplugins/ is there for me

Revert
November 27th, 2005, 11:53 PM
/opt/firefox/searchplugins/ is there for me

Thank you! :p
It wasn't showing up in my searches or anything. I can finally get rid of Yahoo now.

jrib
November 27th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Thank you! :p
It wasn't showing up in my searches or anything. I can finally get rid of Yahoo now.

lol, I did the same thing :)

janfsd
November 29th, 2005, 12:11 PM
hi, i followed the tutorial but firefox doesnt seem to run in my computer , i got some chrome registering errors and in the terminal it gives this:

(firefox-bin:9572): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(firefox-bin:9572): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib

(firefox-bin:9572): Gdk-WARNING **: cannot set locale modifiers

(firefox-bin:9572): Gdk-WARNING **: Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING: Conversion from character set 'UTF-8' to 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported

(firefox-bin:9572): Gdk-WARNING **: Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING: Conversion from character set 'UTF-8' to 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported

(firefox-bin:9572): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/engines/libclearlooks.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(firefox-bin:9572): Pango-WARNING **: /usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'
(firefox-bin:9572): Pango-WARNING **: /usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
(firefox-bin:9572): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_shape: assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed

Pango-ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
aborting...
/opt/firefox/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 9572 Aborted "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

it seems to be come pango errors,this happened with firefox 1.5rc3 and im running in a AMD64
pls can somebody help?

lucas
November 29th, 2005, 09:04 PM
firefox 1.5 is released!

source: http://www.osnews.com/
get it here: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/linux-i686
or here: http://www.mozilla.org/mirrors.html

Logic*
November 29th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I have RC2 installed as per the method shown in this thread. Could someone tell me how to update to the final version?

Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, I got it :)

foxy123
November 29th, 2005, 10:55 PM
firefox 1.5 is released!

source: http://www.osnews.com/
get it here: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/linux-i686
or here: http://www.mozilla.org/mirrors.html

it's the same as RC3 as I understand. I wonder when it will hit repos? I like to have things 'properly' installled and firefox in /opt makes me a bit uneasy, though I really enjoy 1.5...

veloct
November 29th, 2005, 11:47 PM
I have it and thuderbird running from /opt without any issues. It is the same are RC3. To get update to work all you have to do is make sure that the /opt/firefox directory has permissions set for user instead of root. I updated from RC1 -> RC2 -> RC3 (and final) via the update option built into firefox.

foxy123
November 30th, 2005, 12:16 AM
I have it and thuderbird running from /opt without any issues. It is the same are RC3. To get update to work all you have to do is make sure that the /opt/firefox directory has permissions set for user instead of root. I updated from RC1 -> RC2 -> RC3 (and final) via the update option built into firefox.
i've got some issues with firefox, like blinking bookmarks (it is difficult to explain, you open bookmarks menu and hover mouse over any bookmark folder, instead to expand the folder, its blinking, so you have to click and then click on the bookmark... it is messy, anyway it never happened with 1.07), so I was hoping to get it sorted in a 'proper' install. (it may be my wm theme although or anthing like that).

The main reason I am looking forward for official package is that I want to compile moztrabiff extension for 1.5 and need firefoox development package.

orbinick
November 30th, 2005, 12:20 AM
I used the wiki to guide me in the installation of FF1.5, but I didn't cut the plugin as it was working perfectly on 1.07, and guess what, it works!!

I installed the plugin with the latest version of EasyUbuntu because it never fails to correctly apply the plugin.

benplaut
November 30th, 2005, 06:01 AM
in KDE, the menu fonts are somewhere around 14, regardless of settings elsewhere... any suggestions?

makhand
November 30th, 2005, 06:06 AM
I cant seem to get java to work with 1.5 any good ideas?

foxy123
November 30th, 2005, 11:18 AM
I cant seem to get java to work with 1.5 any good ideas?
java works fine for me... I guess I did not do anything specific to enable it.

PenguinZdravko
November 30th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Is Firefox 1.5 Final 1.5 RC3, because in my about dialog it's still showing build date 20051111?

foxy123
November 30th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Is Firefox 1.5 Final 1.5 RC3, because in my about dialog it's still showing build date 20051111?
apparently it is... at least it is said on Mozilla forums

TheJoker
November 30th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Any successful reports of running FF1.5 on AMD64? Thanks!

makhand
November 30th, 2005, 05:22 PM
java works fine for me... I guess I did not do anything specific to enable it.

Is there anyone for whom it didnt work, but works now? I cant get any applets to come up (yahoo games, poker). It worked fine under 1.0.X... i'd hate to have to switch back

foxy123
November 30th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Is there anyone for whom it didnt work, but works now? I cant get any applets to come up (yahoo games, poker). It worked fine under 1.0.X... i'd hate to have to switch back
does about:plugins show java?

makhand
November 30th, 2005, 05:53 PM
does about:plugins show java?

Thats weird, it looks like it might:

Java(TM) Plug-in Blackdown-1.4.2-02

File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
Blackdown Java-Linux Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-vm Java Yes
application/x-java-applet Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_01 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_02 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_03 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_04 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_05 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_06 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_07 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_08 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_01 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_02 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_03 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_04 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_05 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_06 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_07 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_08 Java Yes

however, the applets dont start when a page calls for them.

Evoreth
November 30th, 2005, 08:28 PM
The middle mouse button doesn't close tabs anymore. How can I change that? I'm really used to that feature. :(

dweez
November 30th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks alot for the How-To. Works great. I had an error regarding "Chrome" come up 2x on the first start up but nothing since.

One question though, now that I have 1.5 installed, is it safe to uninstall 1.07? Also, when I first began to uninstall it (via Synaptic), it prompted me to uninstall ubuntu-desktop too so I canceled the removal. Doing a google search, I heard some people say that removal of ubuntu-desktop shouldn't hurt anything (not sure about this, based on the name and the description for it in Synaptic it seems like it might be a crucial component). For the time being, I'm just gonna leave 1.07 alone as it really isn't hurting anything. I just like to remove superflous software when it isn't needed.

dweez

foxy123
November 30th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks alot for the How-To. Works great. I had an error regarding "Chrome" come up 2x on the first start up but nothing since.

One question though, now that I have 1.5 installed, is it safe to uninstall 1.07? Also, when I first began to uninstall it (via Synaptic), it prompted me to uninstall ubuntu-desktop too so I canceled the removal. Doing a google search, I heard some people say that removal of ubuntu-desktop shouldn't hurt anything (not sure about this, based on the name and the description for it in Synaptic it seems like it might be a crucial component). For the time being, I'm just gonna leave 1.07 alone as it really isn't hurting anything. I just like to remove superflous software when it isn't needed.

dweez
ubuntu-desktop is a meta package... it is safe to remove it. It only matters if you will be upgrading from Breezy to Dapper Drake in future, you will like to have it back....

Cl1mh4224rd
November 30th, 2005, 11:39 PM
[Whoa, I'm an idiot. Ignore this...]

gmleuty
November 30th, 2005, 11:43 PM
To get update to work all you have to do is make sure that the /opt/firefox directory has permissions set for user instead of root.
Many thanks for the tip.

jdong
November 30th, 2005, 11:52 PM
The middle mouse button doesn't close tabs anymore. How can I change that? I'm really used to that feature. :(
about:config, middlemouse.contentLoadURL set to FALSE

As far as chowning firefox to a user, that is not a smart decision... It's better to run the browser under gksudo from time to time in order to get updates instead. Ordinary user accounts writing to binaries that multiple users may run, that sounds like a security risk.

nozdormu
December 1st, 2005, 02:51 AM
i've got some issues with firefox, like blinking bookmarks (it is difficult to explain, you open bookmarks menu and hover mouse over any bookmark folder, instead to expand the folder, its blinking, so you have to click and then click on the bookmark... it is messy, anyway it never happened with 1.07), so I was hoping to get it sorted in a 'proper' install. (it may be my wm theme although or anthing like that).

The main reason I am looking forward for official package is that I want to compile moztrabiff extension for 1.5 and need firefoox development package.

I mentioned in another thread that this bug has already been filed and all dupes redirected to here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=306426

Even though it seems to be a widespread problem, not much attention has been paid towards fixing it because it is hard to reliably reproduce. It happens to me, but restarting Firefox fixes it and it may or may not happen again while browsing.

towsonu2003
December 1st, 2005, 04:22 AM

perfect guide!

though I'm having "chrome registration" issues after every extension install, I don't care (Dapper is 4 months away hehheh)

= +1 happier user

orb_nsc
December 1st, 2005, 05:06 AM
Well I'm impressed. It feels like I added another gig of ram to this machine, just by upgrading Firefox. Thanks for yet another awesome HOWTO! The last time I tried to update Firefox manually on Ubuntu, I screwed it up so bad it took the rest of the afternoon to correct...

slrafal
December 1st, 2005, 06:06 AM
This is probably a stupid newbie question, but I followed the wiki instructions and I don't see firefox in my internet menu.

nozdormu
December 1st, 2005, 07:15 AM
perfect guide!

though I'm having "chrome registration" issues after every extension install, I don't care (Dapper is 4 months away hehheh)

= +1 happier user

If you disable the Talkback extension, those errors go away.

Iandefor
December 1st, 2005, 07:30 AM
Who needs Firefox when you have links? :)
Ironically, I just installed and am using links and I
actually prefer it over Firefox. Go figure.

Chanders: I tried updating using your method and just got 1.07 even with backports.

towsonu2003
December 1st, 2005, 03:16 PM
If you disable the Talkback extension, those errors go away.

hey thanks! :)

I just installed and am using links and I
actually prefer it over Firefox

mean lynx? (or elinks)? I like both as well. no flash, no annoying banners, and very fast browsing :rolleyes: :cool:

Iandefor
December 1st, 2005, 05:45 PM
The package I installed was entitled "links" and the executable is "links" so I
figure it'd be safe to call it "links" :D. Here's (http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/%7Emikulas/links/) the project's home page, in case you're interested.

erik-the-red
December 2nd, 2005, 12:58 AM
It seems like this "final" release is naught more than RC3.

Does that mean SCIM still poops out Firefox 1.5 "final"?

NegativeZero
December 2nd, 2005, 02:46 AM
hi, i followed the tutorial but firefox doesnt seem to run in my computer , i got some chrome registering errors and in the terminal it gives this:

(firefox-bin:9572): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(firefox-bin:9572): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib

(firefox-bin:9572): Gdk-WARNING **: cannot set locale modifiers

(firefox-bin:9572): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/engines/libclearlooks.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(firefox-bin:9572): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_shape: assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed

Pango-ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
aborting...
/opt/firefox/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 9572 Aborted "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

it seems to be come pango errors,this happened with firefox 1.5rc3 and im running in a AMD64
pls can somebody help?

I'm also getting this problem with Firefox 1.5. I followed the howto exactly (twice, omitting some of the earlier commands eg making directories etc) and Firefox will not load.

Previously I was running the stock 1.0.7 included with Ubuntu 5.10, which still works (I am posting from it now). Machine is a 64-bit Pentium 4, and I'm running the AMD64 distribution. Language is set to English (Australian) via the Language Selector (EDIT: Switching to English (USA) doesn't fix the problem).

EDIT: Problem semi-solved - it runs fine using linux32, as specified here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=90106)

doundounba
December 2nd, 2005, 04:24 AM
Thanks for this Howto! Very useful! Is there a reason why prefs.js is not included in the files copied over from the old profile? An incompatibility? Some people might be surprised to follow these instructions and loose their preferences. BTW, I did copy it and things seem fine so far...

Also, I think it would be nice if these instructions included something in the case where one has multiple profiles setup. Something like backup all the old profiles somewhere else (like say ~/tmp), then create a new profile with the same name as all the old ones, and for each one, cp the files from the old to the new profile... Just a thought.

EDIT: There also seems to be a file named hostperm.1 that is needed to carry over, or the list of all the sites that can or can't save cookies are lost.

ruffneck
December 2nd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks alot for this guide it works a charm! As have been said earlier...firefox is really breezing through now! ;)

KillerKiwi
December 2nd, 2005, 11:27 AM
Install Klik
Press Alt-f2 and paste

wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh

Then click these links
klik://firefox
klik://thunderbird

To delete(uninstall) just trash the file on your desktop

erik-the-red
December 3rd, 2005, 05:05 AM
So, what about 1.5 "final" and SCIM?

arnieboy
December 4th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Update:
Please use Automatix (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=66563) to install Firefox 1.5 and all its plugins with just one click. Please use that instead of this script.