PDA

View Full Version : Beryl Wish List! (of ubuntuforums.org)

RAV TUX
January 3rd, 2007, 07:03 AM
1. I would like to be able to grab the 3D cube and hurl it against the background wall and have it bounce around like a super bouncy ball!

&

2. I would like to grab the cube hurl it against the background and have it shatter into a million pieces then select ctrl+alt+del and have it reverse itself and all the chards of glass come back together.

&

3. behind the cube I would like a herd of super Tux penguins to live....sliding down the sides of the abyss and swimming and eating fish.

what is your Beryl wish list?

~LoKe
January 3rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
http://forum.beryl-project.org/viewforum.php?f=40&sid=4bccb6ec4e8b855bff0fab14d253f3c6

RAV TUX
January 3rd, 2007, 07:10 AM
http://forum.beryl-project.org/viewforum.php?f=40&sid=4bccb6ec4e8b855bff0fab14d253f3c6

ubuntuforums.org Beryl Wish List!;)

~LoKe
January 3rd, 2007, 07:13 AM
You cheated.

RAV TUX
January 3rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
You cheated.lol:roll:

RAV TUX
January 3rd, 2007, 07:36 AM
I would like butterflys flying inside my transparent cube!

mushroom
January 3rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
In order of priority:

Better handling of 2D operations (video, primarily)

Make vsync not so laggy

Better handling of other OpenGL applications

Aquamarine stability and dropshadows

More managable control panel

Resizing and switching tabs is slow. Non-h.264 video works fine in fullscreen, but the tearing makes it rather unpleasant to watch. Vsync makes everything slow, so fullscreen video is a no-go with that. Same situation with 3D games and such, with the added problem of some of them not even starting. Aquamarine crashes really frequently, and there aren't any dropshadows. The settings application is slow and cumbersome to navigate. Anyway, if Quartz Extreme on a 32 MB integrated card can handle World of Warcraft and h.264 video fullscreen with no tearing, what's keeping Beryl from doing the same for my 128 MB NVidia GeForce FX 5500? I know it's a beta product and everything, and I like snow, it's cool, but please think about these things before adding more features.

If there are some fixes for the problems I'm having, please point them out.

RAV TUX
January 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
In order of priority:

Better handling of 2D operations (video, primarily)

Make vsync not so laggy

Better handling of other OpenGL applications

Aquamarine stability and dropshadows

More managable control panel

Resizing and switching tabs is slow. Non-h.264 video works fine in fullscreen, but the tearing makes it rather unpleasant to watch. Vsync makes everything slow, so fullscreen video is a no-go with that. Same situation with 3D games and such, with the added problem of some of them not even starting. Aquamarine crashes really frequently, and there aren't any dropshadows. The settings application is slow and cumbersome to navigate. Anyway, if Quartz Extreme on a 32 MB integrated card can handle World of Warcraft and h.264 video fullscreen with no tearing, what's keeping Beryl from doing the same for my 128 MB NVidia GeForce FX 5500? I know it's a beta product and everything, and I like snow, it's cool, but please think about these things before adding more features.

If there are some fixes for the problems I'm having, please point them out.I have never experienced video problems, so I suspect this may be a hardware or user option dependent problem.

Lord Illidan
January 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
1. I would like to be able to grab the 3D cube and hurl it against the background wall and have it bounce around like a super bouncy ball!

&

2. I would like to grab the cube hurl it against the background and have it shatter into a million pieces then select ctrl+alt+del and have it reverse itself and all the chards of glass come back together.

&

3. behind the cube I would like a herd of super Tux penguins to live....sliding down the sides of the abyss and swimming and eating fish.

what is your Beryl wish list?

God, can't you control your issues? What's up with hurling glass cubes against your desktop? And capturing Tux and sliding him down an abyss?:confused:

Ok, joking aside! I want some more realistic flame and smoke effects, and more performance and what Rav-Tux said sounds pretty cool too.

mushroom
January 3rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
I have never experienced video problems, so I suspect this may be a hardware or user option dependent problem.

A Beryl dev tells me that this is mainly an X or a driver issue, which is understandable. Beryl's acceptable for everyday use and it's actually really nice, but after using OS X for a while on an underpowered Mac mini with vsync and all the trimmings, it's hard not to think that I'm not getting the performance I should be getting. He also tells me that they're developing workarounds so vsync isn't such a burden, so I'm hopeful.

Mateo
January 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
1) More stability. I don't want it to randomly take me back to the login screen for no reason. I don't want it to lock up occasionally.

2) When 2 panels are setting next to each other, I don't want it to look like one is bigger than the other (which ever was most recently used).

RAV TUX
January 4th, 2007, 03:01 AM
A Beryl dev tells me that this is mainly an X or a driver issue, which is understandable. Beryl's acceptable for everyday use and it's actually really nice, but after using OS X for a while on an underpowered Mac mini with vsync and all the trimmings, it's hard not to think that I'm not getting the performance I should be getting. He also tells me that they're developing workarounds so vsync isn't such a burden, so I'm hopeful.

I fail to see the correlation?

mushroom
January 4th, 2007, 05:20 AM
QE and Beryl are both compositing window managers?

RAV TUX
January 4th, 2007, 12:01 PM
QE and Beryl are both compositing window managers?

I meant the correlation between OS X software performance running on dedicated hardware and Linux.

but after using OS X for a while on an underpowered Mac mini with vsync and all the trimmings, it's hard not to think that I'm not getting the performance I should be getting.

mushroom
January 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM
All of my hardware runs on Linux very well, and the driver I'm using is made by the manufacturer. Plus, it's a heck of a lot more powerful than what's in my Mac mini. Just because I'm using an OS that wasn't made specifically for this hardware doesn't justify lagging behind an integrated 32 MB card. I'm thinking I was either ripped off by NVidia or my objections are valid.

23meg
January 4th, 2007, 02:31 PM

&

&

what is your Beryl wish list?*sigh* More "fun" eye candy... just what we need when Beryl is trying to get itself together and increase stability for possible inclusion in Feisty.

Somenoob
January 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I would like to be able to have a automatic installer for beryl, I see endless complaints about how difficult it is to install.

raul_
January 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Don't believe everything you read =P

MetalMusicAddict
January 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I would like to be able to have a automatic installer for beryl, I see endless complaints about how difficult it is to install.

Don't believe everything you read =P

Totally. Beryl is SUPER easy to install now. Not like the old days. :)

Somenoob
January 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Totally. Beryl is SUPER easy to install now. Not like the old days. :)

this this also apply to Dapper?

MetalMusicAddict
January 4th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I havnt run Dapper in such a long time. I run Edgy and Feisty now. I am unsure if theres a Dapper repo now. I know for Edgy you just grab a metapackage that gets it all.

Best thing to do is go through the Beryl forums.

raul_
January 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM
AFAIK Dapper doesn't have AIGLX already installed, so you'd have to install the proprietary drivers for your card

amoore
January 4th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I would like to see better stability and handling of 2d video and a easer to use setting manager. Graphically I would also like to see a dock added as a plug in as well.

Over all, Beryl has matured very fast an is a great window compositor!!!!

Keep up the good work Beryl team!!!!

mand0
January 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Would it be possible to make Beryl remember the window location of each different program? Is this already possible somehow? For example, when I am using Gaim I like to keep the buddy list on the bottom corner with the chat window and Amarok all docked to it. When I close the programs they do not load in the positions I left them in.

bobbybobington
January 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM
A plugin that would connect to current weather where you live, and have the corresponding effect on your desktop. The snow effect if its snowing out, the rain effect if its raining ect...

raul_
January 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM
A plugin that would connect to current weather where you live, and have the corresponding effect on your desktop. The snow effect if its snowing out, the rain effect if its raining ect...

What if it's a beautiful sunny day?

bobbybobington
January 5th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Maybe the brightness/saturation/color could change subtly to make it look sunnier lol. I suppose the background behind the spinning cube could be changed to match the weather too.

happy-and-lost
January 13th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I'd like it to be a little less laggy. Scrolling in Firefox is a bit painful with Beryl on my setup at the moment.

Coop
January 13th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Hello
I would like all and every single application to work with Beryl.All audio and video players,all games,all graphics programs,etc.
I would like being able to take screenshots and screencasts of Beryl powered desktops,including all audio and video that are playing and all applications that are running.
And I want Beryl to be extremely stable and powerful and never crash.
In short,I want Beryl to be just like a regular desktop.
Regards Coop

spockrock
January 13th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Hello
I would like all and every single application to work with Beryl.All audio and video players,all games,all graphics programs,etc.
I would like being able to take screenshots and screencasts of Beryl powered desktops,including all audio and video that are playing and all applications that are running.
And I want Beryl to be extremely stable and powerful and never crash.
In short,I want Beryl to be just like a regular desktop.
Regards Coop

Maybe I am lucky but beryl does all of that for me......

sloggerkhan
January 13th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I second the vsync. Beryl has always had bad vsync on my comp. Maybe something related to XGL and not beryl? The other issue I have encountered is that it doesn't like full screen programs like games and forces many of them to run in windowed mode.

Otherwise I would like to see a slightly simplified control panel.

And whoever thought of linking the local weather to your desktop effects: very cool idea.

spockrock
January 13th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I second the vsync. Beryl has always had bad vsync on my comp. Maybe something related to XGL and not beryl? The other issue I have encountered is that it doesn't like full screen programs like games and forces many of them to run in windowed mode.

Otherwise I would like to see a slightly simplified control panel.

And whoever thought of linking the local weather to your desktop effects: very cool idea.

from what I remember some one at the beryl forums had made that plug in, then a hard drive crash destroyed his/her work before they released and I don't think they worked on it since.

gruffy-06
February 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
I wish that the tearing artifacts would be removed to give Beryl a much smoother look.

sloggerkhan
February 22nd, 2007, 05:40 PM
I must say Beryl has improved LOTS since my last post. Still not great vsync, still, much improvement.