PDA

View Full Version : Lost Windows

thomasa93
January 3rd, 2007, 02:46 AM
For about 6 months now, i have been dual-booting Windows XP and Ubuntu. Just recently, I booted into Windows and the list of users was gone! I tried logging in as the administrator and it produced an error telling me that it couldn't log me in. Does anyone know how to get my users list back? :twisted: :( ](*,)

P.S. I checked and all the documents are still there.

jpeddicord
January 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM
Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice in a row on the login screen, and it should bring you to a manual login where you may type your username/password. From then on you should be able to go to the Control Panel to try to fix the problem.

thomasa93
January 3rd, 2007, 04:05 AM
Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice in a row on the login screen, and it should bring you to a manual login where you may type your username/password. From then on you should be able to go to the Control Panel to try to fix the problem.

i tried that and it prosuced the same error.:(

xyz
January 3rd, 2007, 10:45 AM
Not sure this'll help really but I'll post it anyways.
Kellys-korner (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm)
Scroll down til you read "User Account"
Let us know...

thomasa93
January 3rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Not sure this'll help really but I'll post it anyways.
Kellys-korner (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm)
Scroll down til you read "User Account"
Let us know...
I appreciate you trying, but that did not seem to have what I was looking for:(

Again, Thanks for Trying. More tips are welcome.

meng
January 3rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
This may not sound like the most constructive suggestion, but have you tried some sort of Windows forum or tech support? The reason I say this is because I have no idea what caused your problem, but it would seem to be an inherent Windows problem rather than something related to dual-booting.

This is not to suggest that you can't post non-Ubuntu problems here, but if the answer is not immediately forthcoming, you may be tapping into the wrong resource.

BarfBag
January 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
You should mount your Windows partition in Ubuntu and back-up all of your data. Sounds like it got infected with a virus. I had that exact same problem. Ended up reformatting.

smoker
January 3rd, 2007, 11:49 PM
can you start the computer and enter safe mode (tapping f5 or f8 key during boot). if so, you may be able to log in as 'admistrator' this is a different account from a user with administrator rights, so if you haven't specifically set a password for this account, try just pressing enter. if you get in, then you can either go to control panel and sort out the user accounts, or probably easiest, try using system restore,

if the above doesn't work, you will maybe have to do a windows repair with your windows installation disk, this won't overwrite any data, but will require you to reinstall grub to get the dual boot function back.

it is always wise though, as barfbag suggested, to back up any important data,

best of luck

thomasa93
January 4th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Well, I gave in and just reinstalled Windows:( . Thank oyu all for your help and suggestions.