PDA

View Full Version : Shell getopts command is dangerous!

cosmolee
January 2nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
GNU bash, version 3.1.17(1)

In learning the `getopts` command, I'm discovering some things that I find disturbing. I wanted to post this to get some feedback from anyone.

getopts is NOT very smart. I'd say it's downright dangerous. Users should be warned of it's pitfalls. While `getops` may be a POSIX standardized program, it certainly doesn't seem very smart or reliable. It may be meant to make argument processing easier, but it seems to make it more dangerous, by opening error-prone holes in argument processing!

$ cat getopts-test.sh

while getopts a:bcdefg OPT #require an argument for "-a"
do
echo OPT is $OPT, OPTARG is $OPTARG, and OPTIND is $OPTIND .
done

$

Here, we pass the "-a" option an argument (file1), as required and indicated to getopts option_spec (a:bcdefg). It works as expected.

$ ./getopt* -a file1 -b -c -d -e
OPT is a, OPTARG is file1, and OPTIND is 3 .
OPT is b, OPTARG is , and OPTIND is 4 .
OPT is c, OPTARG is , and OPTIND is 5 .
OPT is d, OPTARG is , and OPTIND is 6 .
OPT is e, OPTARG is , and OPTIND is 7 .

Here, the -a option requires an argument be passed to it. However, if one isn't, getopts mistakes the next option (-b) as the argument to the option "-a", even though "-b" starts with a "-" indicating it is an option. So, this option (-b) goes completely undetected.

$ ./getopt* -a -b -c -d -e
OPT is a, OPTARG is -b, and OPTIND is 3 .
OPT is c, OPTARG is , and OPTIND is 4 .
OPT is d, OPTARG is , and OPTIND is 5 .
OPT is e, OPTARG is , and OPTIND is 6 .

Here, we "accidentally" pass an argument to the second option (-b), but getops doesn't notice the error. Again, it mistakes the "-b" option to be an argument to the "-a" option. The remaining options, "-c", "-d", & "-e" are ignored!

$ ./getopt* -a -b file2 -c -d -e
OPT is a, OPTARG is -b, and OPTIND is 3 .

These last two could be fatal if "-b" was, say, an option for "noclobber" or something like that.

Here we pass arguments to both "-a" and "-b". getopts doesn't notice that "-b" has been erroneously given an argument, and "-c", "-d", & "-e" are ignored!

$ ./getopt* -a file1 -b file2 -c -d -e
OPT is a, OPTARG is file1, and OPTIND is 3 .
OPT is b, OPTARG is , and OPTIND is 4 .

So, is `getopts` really worth using? Any comments?

slavik
January 2nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
sometimes you might want your option to get a dash ...

like for the -f option of tar, a dash means stdin/stdout (depending on whether is -x or -c is used)

cosmolee
January 3rd, 2007, 01:01 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think `getopts` would even see such a dash. That kind of dash would be processed by the shell as a redirection, before the options are processed by the program being run.

menachem
July 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM
It's obviously been a while since this thread was started, but I've just come across this problem. Here is the relevant excerpt from my script:

while getopts ":d:frhls" options #http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/howto/getopts_tutorial
do
case $options in
f ) #Force Download even if already downloaded
FORCE=yes
;;
r ) #Download and process RSS feed.
DO_RSS=yes
;;
h ) echo Download and Convert lectures from torahcafe.com
echo "Usage: $0 [-h] [-f] [-l] [-r] [-s] [-d dir] [url ...]"
echo -f: Force Download even if already downloaded
echo -l: Exit after viewing Download Log
echo -r: Download latest RSS Feed and get all new files
echo -s: Exit after Viewing Log of Successful downloads
echo -d: Specify download directory
echo -h: Help
;;
l ) # View download log and exit
clear
cat $log
exit 0
;;
s ) # View Success log and exit
clear
cat $SUCCESS_LOG
exit 0
;;
d ) # Establish destination directory
DLOAD_DIR="$OPTARG"
#exit 1
;;
\? ) # We will ignore invalid options
echo "Invalid option: -$OPTARG"
#exit 1
;;
: )
echo "Option -$OPTARG requires an argument."
echo 'run "$0 -h" to see valid options'
exit 1
;;
esac

Everything was working fine until I added the -d switch. The -d switch demangs an argument and if I give it an argument everything is fine.

When I don't give it an argument I would expect it to realize that I didn't give it an argument, and run the ":" option. Instead, it takes the next variable as the $OPTARG for "-d"

In other words:
./script -r -d $HOME -- works properly
./script -r -d -- gives an error
./script -d -r -- erroneously assigns "-r" as the $OPTARG for "-d"

This is what you (cosmolee) described in your post.

Did you solve this issue? What kind of workaround did you use? I'm thinking I may have to write something into the script that will explicitly check if -d has an argument, and if not exit before even going through the getopts.

geirha
July 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM
This is pretty standard behavior. Take the tar command for instance, if you do the same with its -f option, it fails in the same way.

$ tar -f -x
tar: You must specify one of the `-Acdtrux' options
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.

It used the -x as argument to -f, and thus didn't consider -x to be an option...

Put in another way, what if you'd want your -d option to take an argument that starts with a -? That would be impossible if it behaved the way you expected.

See http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/035 for some examples on how to parse command-line options also without using getopts.

menachem
July 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Here's the code I threw together to make sure that the argument after the '-d' switch was not another switch.

I placed this in my script before the getopts stuff:

#This monstrosity makes sure that the entry after $sw on the command line
#Is not another option. This case falls through getopts cracks.
# see here for more info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9562220
pars=
sw='-d'
if [[ `echo "$*"|grep -- "$sw"` != "" ]];then
pars=( "$@" ) #create an array to store all command line options
for i in `seq 0 $((${#pars }-1))` #one less than the number of elements in array
do
#really confusing way of seeing if first char in array element after "$sw" is a '-'
if [[ "${pars[$i]}" == "$sw" && "${pars[$((${i}+1))]:0:1}" == "-" ]];then
echo "$sw needs an argument."
echo run "$0 -h" for more information
exit 4
fi
done
fi

I realize now that I should have used a while loop instead of a for loop to cycle through the elements of the array (if only for readability), but this works.

EDIT:
Here is a much more sane way to check if the argument to -d starts with a "-":

d ) # Establish destination directory
if [[ "${OPTARG:0:1}" != "-" ]];then # argument to -d was used
DLOAD_DIR="$OPTARG"
else
echo "-d needs an argument."
exit 4
fi
;;

geirha
July 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
If someone is stupid enough to run the script with

./script -d -r
even though your script specifically states that -d takes a path as argument, then why bother checking for it?. Just assume -r is the path to use, check if it exists, and then bail out with a message like "-r: No such file or directory"

StephenF
July 8th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Computers are not very good at guessing. If they were they would have achieved the ability to think for themselves and would be running ruining our lives for us.

Lets leave the power in the hands of the users to shoot themselves in the foot if they must. At least it will be a learning experience from which they can grow.

At the very least, getopts has no business knowing the context of command line parameters.

menachem
July 8th, 2010, 05:58 PM
If someone is stupid enough to run the script with

./script -d -r
even though your script specifically states that -d takes a path as argument, then why bother checking for it?. Just assume -r is the path to use, check if it exists, and then bail out with a message like "-r: No such file or directory"

I check for it because, as the saying goes, "Make something idiot proof and someone will make a bigger idiot". When writing a script I always try to figure out how people will mess it up and then I try to make sure they can't do it. I'm usually still surprised.

Also, in the script the user has an option to override the default destination directory (using the -d switch). If the directory does not exist, the script will create it. That's why I can't just use your suggestion to check later if the directory exists.

In the code snippet below, you can see that I just ignore an invalid command line switch (instead of exiting with an error), because, as you suggested, I don't care if they put an invalid switch, since the script will later filter it out. That won't work in the case of the '-d' switch, as explained above.