PDA

View Full Version : Will you miss xorg.conf?

Sammi
January 2nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
According to this article version 7.3 of Xorg will feature dynamic autoconfiguration of screen settings, which means that the xorg.conf file will no longer be needed: http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/13/2112259&tid=53

Xorg 7.3 will in all likelyhood be included in Feisty Fawn +1 (7.10), which should come out in October.

Iarwain ben-adar
January 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
I liked it :(

It is great to fiddle around, and hope you still get some graphical screen :D

Iarwain

Lord Illidan
January 2nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
I voted for the second option. I became quite an "expert" at configuring it...
And what if the autoconf thingy doesn't work? How can we change it?

Rhubarb
January 2nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
I'd like to know if the new xorg allows you to get a 7 button mouse to work properly.
And yeah, I'm all for the new automatic settings thing, just so long as I can tinker with it.

Mr_J_
January 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Don't mind an autoconfiguration tool, or a bunch of questions that never end, or having to write it all. Might be boring and a hassle, but it it works I'll use it. :mrgreen:

spockrock
January 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
lets see what happens, btw 7.3 from my understanding wont be in feisty but in feisty+1

_simon_
January 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
My concern is how are they going to autoconfigure all of the different mice out there. Unless you own a 2 button mouse, everyone will have had to edit their xorg to get the buttons working and every make / model is different.

~LoKe
January 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Didn't read the article, but I'm betting it'll be a more "intelligent" phigh reconfiguration dealie. I think we'll still be able to hack it up (this is still Linux, yes?).

doobit
January 2nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
I really like to have control of most things in my life, if possible. I don't like my machines telling me what to do.

Old Pink
January 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
Like a dear old friend. I like to do things manually.

Yes, I've put alot of effort into configuring Xorg.conf to support dual monitors, etc. and can only hope this autoconfiguration thing can provide the same result.

It seems with the amount of additions needed to Xorg.conf for a dual monitor setup, a AI simply won't be able to handle it.

May be wrong, but we shall see...

mushroom
January 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
If it works, I'm all for it. Hooray for progress.

Hairy_Palms
January 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
ill miss it like an old friend, i just hope the new one makes my widescreen monitor work OOTB