PDA

View Full Version : Too many forum categories???

mikeyandmary
January 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Hi all,

I think there are too many forum categories. The only one that people seem to reply to is the beginners and the cafe. While I think this is great, I see no real point in posting in the correct category if noone reads it and noone responds.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

dbbolton
January 2nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
speaking of categories, there's one called forum feedback and help...

Lord Illidan
January 2nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hi all,

I think there are too many forum categories. The only one that people seem to reply to is the beginners and the cafe. While I think this is great, I see no real point in posting in the correct category if noone reads it and noone responds.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

From your point of view, the only one that people seem to reply to might be the beginners and the cafe. However, there are other people who read other forum categories...so what's ur point? Or did you have a post which wasn't read?

Sef
January 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM

Some categories are very active; some are not. Some are supported by Ubuntu itself. Almost all of those are active. Some of the third party categories are not very active, but when an update happens to them, their activities increase.

mikeyandmary
January 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM
It's not so much that the categories are not read as much as there are few replies. It would seem that if one wants a question answered that the fastest response will be gained from the beginners category.

I based my information on the read/reply stats shown in the forum.

I think this forum is a great ubuntu resource and I have gained heaps from it but sometimes there are questions that I don't seem to find answers for.

_simon_
January 2nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Personally I use the "New Posts" option and read / reply to any that I can regardless of where they are posted. Apart from the beginners forum I do not purposely look through each individual forum section.

maniacmusician
January 2nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
It's not so much that the categories are not read as much as there are few replies. It would seem that if one wants a question answered that the fastest response will be gained from the beginners category.

I based my information on the read/reply stats shown in the forum.

I think this forum is a great ubuntu resource and I have gained heaps from it but sometimes there are questions that I don't seem to find answers for.
this is because posts in the beginner section are usually very simple and easy to answer for most ubuntu users. Problems in other sections are more obscure, so you need to bank on someone knowledgable reading at the time that you post. Your statistics are totally invalid though, because of the difference in difficulty level of the questions asked in the mentioned forum sections