PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To YouTube's Website???

SuperMike
January 2nd, 2007, 01:35 AM
In 2006, the YouTube website was visually compatible with Firefox and Ubuntu. In 2007, however, the whole website's gone wacky with text overlaying other text. It's as if they hired some developers to rework the thing, used DIVs instead of TABLES (okay, if done properly), and didn't do enough product testing to ensure that on some platforms it doesn't overlap the text over other text. The site is sometimes not usable with some kinds of hyperlinks now.

Man, this sucks.

I wrote YouTube, but I doubt they will get the message. Surely SOMEONE out there using Ubuntu has friend-of-a-friend connections over at YouTube and can get them to wake up and realize the site is broke?

Rashid584
January 2nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
erm...it looks fine for me using firefox 2.0 on kubuntu edgy *shrug*

-Rashid

finferflu
January 2nd, 2007, 01:40 AM
Works fine for me as well, Ubuntu Edgy. Are you sure you didn't enlarge the text too much?

Lord Illidan
January 2nd, 2007, 01:42 AM
Doesn't look bad for me here, too.

Give us a screenshot, please.

BarfBag
January 2nd, 2007, 03:01 AM
Doesn't look bad for me here, too.

Give us a screenshot, please.

Holy crap, dude. That theme is AMAZING! Can you PM me with details? If you don't PM me, I'll probably PM you. :p

YouTube works fine for me. I run Ubuntu 6.10 and Firefox 2.

SuperMike
January 2nd, 2007, 05:06 AM
Swiftfox 2.0
- proportional sans serif 16
- min font size none
Ubuntu Breezy Badger

These images are from the home page for YouTube.

RAV TUX
January 2nd, 2007, 05:08 AM
In 2006, the YouTube website was visually compatible with Firefox and Ubuntu. In 2007, however, the whole website's gone wacky with text overlaying other text. It's as if they hired some developers to rework the thing, used DIVs instead of TABLES (okay, if done properly), and didn't do enough product testing to ensure that on some platforms it doesn't overlap the text over other text. The site is sometimes not usable with some kinds of hyperlinks now.

Man, this sucks.

I wrote YouTube, but I doubt they will get the message. Surely SOMEONE out there using Ubuntu has friend-of-a-friend connections over at YouTube and can get them to wake up and realize the site is broke?

You should write Google instead. They are the ones who bought out YouTube and implemented the change.

checking the YouTube out, it all looks normal to me to.

seshomaru samma
January 2nd, 2007, 05:31 AM
Holy crap, dude. That theme is AMAZING! Can you PM me with details? If you don't PM me, I'll probably PM you. :p

YouTube works fine for me. I run Ubuntu 6.10 and Firefox 2.

Yeah the theme is cool , what is it?

EdThaSlayer
January 2nd, 2007, 09:15 AM
It works fine in Opera9. Guess its a problem with your firefox, maybe you could try downloading it from the site and running the binary version(could be the html renderer I guess?).

Redlance
January 2nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
I kinda agree thats a real nice theme .. i would like it to :D

3rdalbum
January 2nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
I don't know if you're talking about the Firefox theme or the GTK/Metacity theme. The latter is "Wii-Black (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=45829)". It looks even better in the flesh, and there's now a Compiz/Beryl theme for it.

seijuro
January 2nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
looks fine here swiftfox 1.8 branch

Lord Illidan
January 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Hehe, nice to see that my new theme showoff actually worked.

I am using Wii-Black for metacity theme.

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=45829&vote=good&tan=97971188

and Midnight Fox for firefox theme.

EDIT To OP..could be the problem is swiftfox. Although the guy above me says it works...

Try plain vanilla firefox on it.

SuperMike
January 2nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Strange. At the office on Dapper, rather than Breezy, using Swiftfox 2.0 on both, the Dapper one works, but the Breezy one doesn't. On Breezy I get the overlaps, but on Dapper I do not.

(Or, they may have fixed this on the site?)