PDA

View Full Version : Vista last MS desktop OS?

Peter Mount
January 1st, 2007, 03:41 AM
Hello

I happened to be reading this article:

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/8294/1023/

In the first sentence it indicated Vista could the last Desktop OS from Microsoft.

Does anybody know anything about this? I don't know if I've missed some news about this or if it was just a "throw away comment" without any real evidence. I just want to know what this means.

Thanks

NeoLithium
January 1st, 2007, 03:48 AM
I'm not sure, to me, the way it seemed as though the flaw is big enough that it would be the possible "last straw" for MS users, but that's just how it sounded to me. I'm assuming if it was the actual "last" version of a desktop OS from Microsoft, they would have word out on other places and loaded forums and posts around the world hundreds of times over by now...

Peter Mount
January 1st, 2007, 04:04 AM
Your probably right NeoLithium. I just needed to have another coffee when I read it.

Have fun

Frak
January 1st, 2007, 04:25 AM
We Linux users are cockroaches, we have been here longer than Windows, and this is hopefully true to they way things will be, as we'll(Linux/Cockroaches) be here after they(humans/microsoft) are extinct, Microsoft(Human) hates us, so they go out of their way to kill us(Linux). but we have many brothers, and we reproduce quickly(distrobution), thanks to us not being bashfull, we have different species(distrobutions), we(Linux) can survive a Nuclear War(Viruses, Badware, etc.), we are everywhere, in the most common places(90% of the internet and servers), but you don't see us(Linux), and we all gather together in one place (Community Forums), but after all has been done, we have been the smartest, we are all very small, act as if we scrounge just to stay alive, but are the hardiest creatures alive, as long as there is one of us, we will spread, we can't be stopped, so everybody else should get along, because we'll be here awhile...

naught101
January 1st, 2007, 04:34 AM
We Linux users are cockroaches, we have been here longer than Windows, and this is hopefully true to they way things will be, as we'll(Linux/Cockroaches) be here after they(humans/microsoft) are extinct, Microsoft(Human) hates us, so they go out of their way to kill us(Linux).
Damn. might have to change this distro's name from ubuntu (humanity) to something more appropriately roachy - don't want to be mixed up with microsoft.

otherwise, nice metaphor :D

FurryNemesis
January 1st, 2007, 05:13 PM
Let's start a petition:

Feisty Fawn +1 to be named Roachy Roach!

John T. Monkey
January 1st, 2007, 05:44 PM
Roachy Roach! I'd sign it.

As or MS last desktop OS. I don't thing we could say that.

MS still dominate with Windows, like it or not. I believe that Linux can outlive Windows. I used to use computers with other OS's at school 12/13(?) years ago because Windows did not dominate then. That's not very long ago, there's no reason why it should be the most common OS forever, but there's no reason why it should disappear overnight either.

taurus
January 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM
Let's start a petition:

Feisty Fawn +1 to be named Roachy Roach!

And on the boot up screen, they should have a few of them (roaches) running across the monitor!!! :twisted:

smoker
January 2nd, 2007, 12:17 AM
And on the boot up screen, they should have a few of them (roaches) running across the monitor!!!

hme! i've already got that... darn it, they're real, arrgghh! *frantically thumps monitor with folded newspaper*

but, on topic, i remember reading an article (not ms related, and sorry, no link) that in the not too distant future, connection speeds will be that quick that there will be no need for an operating system on your computer, you'll switch on, and instantly be connected to whatever os you'll deem worth paying a monthly premium to. maybe this is the kind of thing ms are thinking about in the long term. personally, i would like my os where it is, and where i can 'keep an eye on it!'. i don't know if this kind of thing would appeal to business though...

leo1a0
January 2nd, 2007, 12:25 AM
have you seen or tried Vista?

I tried it, And I can say XP was the last MSoft OS. Vista is just an expensive update.

wyldstryker
January 2nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
have you seen or tried Vista?

I tried it, And I can say XP was the last MSoft OS. Vista is just an expensive update.

I've also tried several of the "betas" they offered... ](*,) all that eye candy and "security" they offer seems to drain the resources. I dread the day I have to use it in a production enviroment... :mad: