PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Forum Help

teejay17
December 31st, 2006, 05:32 PM
I just run into something strange this morning, and I was wondering if someone else has seen the same problem. I went over to my Dad's house visiting, and while I went on the net to check Ubuntu Forums, because this site rocks!
Anyway, I tried logging in, but for some reason I couldn't--I kept getting the message saying that there was either an error in my login name, or that a mod disabled my account, etc. I became worried...I didn't think I wrote anything that would constitute getting booted off the forum.
When I came back to my machine, however, running Ubuntu Edgy with Firefox, I can log in no problem (as you can see :D ). On my dad's machine I was using Firefox 2.0.1, on Winblows XP. Does this have something to do with it?

teejay17
December 31st, 2006, 06:11 PM
Actually, this also happens on another machine running Windows that I just tried. I guess it's a Windows thing?

teejay17
January 1st, 2007, 10:07 PM
Seriously though, does anyone know the reason for this?
I'd like to be able to access the forums from a Windows machine when I'm at work, or somewhere where Ubuntu is not readily available.

Lord Illidan
January 1st, 2007, 10:10 PM
As far as I know, there is nothing fishy about Windows and Ubuntuforums.org.

it could be a problem with cookies.

thomasa93
January 1st, 2007, 10:11 PM
Nope, sorry man. I have never had this problem:???: .

teejay17
January 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM

Or the fact that it's Windows, lol.
It's ridiculous...I've tried accessing Ubuntu Forums now, on three different PCs, with both Firefox and crappy IE7, but I get the same problem every time: my login is not recognized, and basically I go back to the login screen, an endless loop.
Or it says that I've failed at logging in, I might be banned, blah blah blah.

dorcssa
January 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
I can login from windows with firefox 1.5 with no problem. :)

EZ-man
January 1st, 2007, 10:40 PM
I had the same problem... But, it was on my computer. Which only has Ubuntu 6.06 and I use only firefox. I thought, I was bannded... I could go anywhere, surffing the net, even ubuntu sites. But when I tried, anything that had a ubuntu forum in the browser it wouldn´t work...

I could go and I even asked a couple of people while I was using X-chat if the forum was down.

I think it has to be a logon thing, using your e-mail adress as a verification or mac address some how.

I contacted the administrator also...

teejay17
January 2nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
I think it has to be a logon thing, using your e-mail adress as a verification or mac address some how.

I contacted the administrator also...

What did the administrator say about this; did s/he give any reasons?

teejay17
January 3rd, 2007, 12:55 AM

Could it be a problem with cookies on that many computers? So far I've tried accessing the forum on 4 different Windows boxes, variously trying Opera, Firefox and IE7, even from different ISPs, to no avail.
I get that continuous loop: log in to post, but instead of posting I have to log in...log in to post, but instead of posting I have to log in again...and on and on.
In the end, all this is doing is making me want to convert every Windows machine I see into an Ubuntu box! That's not all that bad, really:)

aysiu
January 3rd, 2007, 02:10 AM
I've moved this thread to a more appropriate forum.

MkfIbK7a
January 3rd, 2007, 02:45 AM
are you logged in on another computer at the same time this mght create problems

teejay17
January 3rd, 2007, 02:55 AM
are you logged in on another computer at the same time this mght create problems
No, I wasn't...my Ubuntu box was off the whole time I was trying on other machines. Nonetheless, I figured out what the problem was...and it's really simple, and yet weird.
On the Windows machines, for some reason I was being directed to ubuntuforums.com instead of ubuntuforums.org. the .com site works just like the .org, you can see all the posts, etc. except you can't log in.
Now, imagine my confusion, not looking at the actual address (because everything was displaying properly](*,)) and that's why I couldn't figure out the problem was all in the address.

teejay17
January 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Just thought I'd add a little to this topic. Does anyone know why there is an ubuntuforum.com and an ubuntuforum.org?
Why two versions, and one not allowing logins?

PriceChild
January 7th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Just thought I'd add a little to this topic. Does anyone know why there is an ubuntuforum.com and an ubuntuforum.org?
Why two versions, and one not allowing logins?.com is just a placeholder... there so no-one tries to imitate us and steal passwords etc.

Pricey

teejay17
January 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Ahh, I see. That makes total sense.