PDA

View Full Version : thoughts and fears of 2007

Redlance
December 31st, 2006, 01:25 PM
Well the decision to include propietary drivers and such for the general populace is a compromise.
but can compromise go to far and be used against us as in this old article

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2052310,00.asp

would we give up our freedoms for a convenience? for a support of a few programs? (autocad, games, et al)

Tomosaur
December 31st, 2006, 02:44 PM
I don't think the ordinary Ubuntu should include the drivers. Perhaps a new version should be introduced, and have a period of time to see which is the more popular. I don't think this issue should be forced at all, since many people have strong opinions on the matter.

Lord Illidan
December 31st, 2006, 02:48 PM
I don't think the ordinary Ubuntu should include the drivers. Perhaps a new version should be introduced, and have a period of time to see which is the more popular. I don't think this issue should be forced at all, since many people have strong opinions on the matter.
There already is one. GNewSense.

bastiegast
December 31st, 2006, 02:52 PM
If it makes ubuntu easier for newbies, yes we should include the drivers. But, proprietary drivers included or not, i think the last thing we should do is add a new version, Ubuntu is all about simplicity and a new version is not going to help us. By the way, there are already plenty of linux versions that don't include any proprietary software.
You're respecting your own freedom when you deny all proprietary software and this way making things more complicated to yourself.

neowolf
December 31st, 2006, 03:00 PM
There already is one. GNewSense.

http://thomas.apestaart.org/log/?p=422

I have seen some pretty badly named projects out there, but when I first heard about gNewSense some time ago it immediately shot into the top 5.

I don’t know what irks me so much about it. Is it the camelCase carbonCopy of iPod nAming tHat oVerwhelms mY aEsthetic sEnses ? Is it the clever wordplay on GNU ? Is it the fact that the name calls up something vague and nebulous in my mind, instead of either perfectly describing what it is (youtube) or being mysterious (google) ? Is it the fact that everything you read about the project itself makes it sound as if it is trying to fill all the wrong holes, is a few years behind the times, and is bottled from sour grapes ?

I just can’t put my finger on what it is that really irks me to the point where I turn into a critizing idiot about some project I have only a vague knowledge of.

Gee. What a nuisance.

Before I need to make some new year’s resolutions and try to be a better man, one more thing to make fun of. I don’t remember where I saw it, but at some point I came across ideas for a new video container, of all things, that was named YOY.

Is it just pure coincidence or blind sarcasm on the part of the creator that YOY is read out “Why, oh, why ?”. Exactly the thoughts that come to my mind when someone plans to write a new video container. Google isn’t helpful right now with my vague recollection, so let’s just hope I dreamt it up.

I agree with him totally...

BarfBag
December 31st, 2006, 03:16 PM
I think everything on the CD should be open source, and that all the non-free packages should stay in a repository. I don't have a problem with having an option in the setup for them, though.

Why can't Ubuntu developers contribute time and code to these open source driver efforts? If that were the case, I wouldn't care either way.

ahaslam
December 31st, 2006, 06:50 PM
I think everything on the CD should be open source, and that all the non-free packages should stay in a repository. I don't have a problem with having an option in the setup for them, though.
I totally agree, make it easy to install but not installed by default.

Tony ;)

usernamebob
December 31st, 2006, 06:55 PM
Why can't Ubuntu developers contribute time and code to these open source driver efforts? If that were the case, I wouldn't care either way.

because they're busy doing all the other things they do in making ubuntu...

Klaidas
December 31st, 2006, 07:15 PM
would we give up our freedoms for a convenience?
Um... They're just drivers you know

MetalMusicAddict
December 31st, 2006, 07:21 PM
Please, everyone. Don't turn this tread into yet another driver debate thread.

EdThaSlayer
December 31st, 2006, 08:30 PM
Well...although iam for open source and all I think that adding these non-free drivers would help Ubuntu overall since to compete with the "eye candy" that Windows users will soon be getting they would need to have 100% 3d Acceleration for Beryl and Compiz.

Burgresso
December 31st, 2006, 09:29 PM
I'm not concerned with the "threats" to Linux posed in the article. I think that distros and the people behind them ('cept openSuse! :) ) are smart enough to see something like this comming. I have faith in the movement.

iand675@gmail.com
December 31st, 2006, 10:50 PM
It seems to me like most people, on this forum anyway, have enough sense, intelligence, and personal opinion of their own to choose what their choices will be between open and proprietary. Keep in mind that the majority of the people that develop for Linux, BSD, etc. will still be the same demographic with or without old ladies using their inter-box-web-mail five point oh thingies. Whether or not a larger marketshare will really help the growth of open source solutions is anyone's guess.