PDA

View Full Version : Let's give the Ubuntu team a present!

robzon
December 31st, 2006, 03:26 AM
Hello there,

this past year the Ubuntu team have done a great job with both Dapper Drake and Edgy Eft. They have been working really hard to deliver this high-quality software to our desktops.
Sooo here's the idea: let's show the Ubuntu team how much we appreciate and support their work! Let's all donate a small amount of money - let's say 5 USD. It's really very little compared to what they've done, yet I'm sure it will help to improve the software faster and make it easier to use for everyone. Remember that time == money, so by donating some money you in fact donate some development time that will be spent on pushing Free Software forward.
If you don't want to donate - that's fine, nobody requires you to do so. If you want to donate more - go ahead.
Anyways, here's the link where you can find info on how to donate:

http://www.ubuntu.com/donations

If you donate drop a post here, so we can encourage more people to do so ;)
If at least few thousands of Ubuntu users donate 5 USD, we would get a total of at least 20000 USD, that's surely enough to get a lot of those long-awaited and demanded things like "restore from trash" working :)

There's another thing you can do: spread the word to local communities by translating and posting this message on unofficial country-specific Ubuntu forums.

To moderators: if it's possible, please set this sticky and link to this post on other forums, and unstick/unlink the post after 2-3 weeks.

I wish all Ubuntu developers a happy, very productive new year, and all Ubuntu users Free, free and bug-free software to suit all your computing needs ;)

justinjstark
December 31st, 2006, 03:52 AM
That is a great idea. I did not even know that ubuntu was accepting donations. I just sent them some cash and a nice note; I hope you all do the same.

Also, does anybody know if there is a way to have paypal automatically donate a certain amount per month?

tom56
December 31st, 2006, 12:16 PM
Alternatively if there is a bug you really want fixed (like restore from trash) you can contribute to a bounty (https://launchpad.net/bounties).

aamukahvi
December 31st, 2006, 12:45 PM
Alternatively if there is a bug you really want fixed (like restore from trash) you can contribute to a bounty (https://launchpad.net/bounties)
(Fixed the link)

aliyanage
December 31st, 2006, 12:48 PM
yep, I think that's a great idea aswell... :-) already spent my part of the little present :-D

Lord Illidan
December 31st, 2006, 12:56 PM
Unfortunately, no credit card, and my parent's reluctance to spend money on what they see as a "geek" OS, and one of the main contributors of my failing exam averages, render me unable to contribute.

However, I wish them a happy new year!!

PriceChild
December 31st, 2006, 04:54 PM
*thread moved*

sanderella
December 31st, 2006, 06:44 PM
I sent them £10, and specified it is for the folk who work at Ubuntu, otherwise Canonical may direct it to other needs. I wished them Happy New Year.:)