PDA

View Full Version : UBUNTU great but still something is missing

hokah
December 30th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Hi

After trying few distros I have decided to definitly switch to UBUNTU.
First few days I was impressed but after two weeks on UBUNTU I must say that some of basic functionality (for me is basic) is still too dificult to achiewe.

1. I dint have any hardware problems what is great.
2. Some problems with codecs I have solved with help of Automatix.
3. MPlayer doesnt work (Error with Video output).
4. I have downloaded movie in format x268 (MP4) or something It didnt work at all, Kaffeine, Xine - I had to close with help of system task manager. Totem played but without ability to load sub file was usless.
5. Skype is like from another age and Im not able to talk becouse the qulaity is bad (and it is not becouse of ISP becouse I have tried on laptop with Windows and on same computer on Skype for Windows and was great)

I wonder if this is becouse is just too many projects so there are apps for KDE, UBUNTU and whatever else, becouse of that harware vendors will never be able to provide support for it.
I have written emails to BELKIN, LEXMARK and Skype about my expectations but im sure it will not change anything.
Maybe there will be day when I will be able to leave my OS and use UBUNTU as most software on my Windows computer is OpenSource.

regards
Peter

macogw
December 30th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Hardware is drivers. That has nothing to do with KDE, Gnome, Xfce, etc. They just need to put in a driver to the kernel.

About Skype: for Linux, it's still 1.0. Windows is 3.0. They're giving us the short end of the stick. That's why we don't even have video support.

hokah
January 1st, 2007, 02:02 PM
I have looked at skype forum and there are more unhappy linux users, all what I could do is to post my message.

bvanaerde
January 1st, 2007, 02:16 PM
I have looked at skype forum and there are more unhappy linux users, all what I could do is to post my message.
I'm always hoping that problems will be fixed when enough people start to complain :)
A new linux version of Skype would be great.