PDA

View Full Version : Windows Power Shell, what do you think?

neowolf
December 30th, 2006, 07:19 PM
The Windows Power Shell is new name of the 'Monad' shell announced a while ago has been released, I think it is quite good, it mainly uses .NET features, it's not like the Bash shell we're all used to at all, completely different concept, more a .NET shell.
Anyway, you can download it here (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/msh/download.mspx),
make sure to read the docs that come with it to learn how to use it. Its nice to be able to use 'ls' and 'rm' commands on Windows :p.

diepruis
December 30th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Quick someone, sue them for copyright infringement! They stole the Linux command names!
:P

neowolf
December 30th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Quick someone, sue them for copyright infringement! They stole the Linux command names!

lol, god knows who first made 'ls'.

diepruis
December 30th, 2006, 10:49 PM
lol, god knows who first made 'ls'.

Yeah. It was probably part of the whole creation thingy :P

</rediculous thread hijack>

drFUNK
January 1st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Well, the first thing i noticed about power shell was how LONG it takes to load. It feels a bit clunky, I hoped for better integratation (like everything else in windows).

BoyOfDestiny
January 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM

First thing I thought about was Super Mario Bros. Nintendo should sue, since power shell is an attack in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door...

Anyway on topic, never used it. I've only seen the same comment posted over and over about how it's better than bash because you can pipe .NET objects instead of txt.;..

So I dunno, I think commandline is awesome for administration stuff (and very happy to use it with Ubuntu)... So it's probably a step in the right direction, and maybe they'll be less certified admins that only know "click click click"... So hopefully it's something good...

The only thing is, how incompatible is it? If it's good, a clone will likely be made (is one in the works?)

meng
January 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM
What about all those Windows fanboys who claim that Linux is not ready for the desktop because we still need to use the command line?

diepruis
January 2nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
how it's better than bash because you can pipe .NET objects instead of txt.;..

Eh? How's that usefull?

What about all those Windows fanboys who claim that Linux is not ready for the desktop because we still need to use the command line?

LOL! To make it even worse, the new shell will probably not measure up to good ol' bash.