PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a laptop (question about reinstalling Win XP)

dolny
December 30th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I got a great bargain price for a Toshiba Satellite P30 notebook (P IV 3.2 ghz, 512 MB RAM, 60GB HDD, ATI Mobility 9700, 17'' widescreen matrix) - 425£ instead of 850. It was used of course but you really cannot tell, the matrix is untouched, it works great etc. I also got a new battery for free and a backpack ;) I love the second-hands shops in the UK!

I have a slight problem though. The notebook has of course Windows XP installed on it, I also got the serial key for it (as the guy just sold the computer with his Windows). The problem is that the cd was broken (literally) and I want to install Linux besides Win (dual-boot). So, I can't install it from the original CD. If I download a pirated version of some torrent site, and enter my original serial key, will it work? Or after the checks that Windows Update performs (if the Win XP you're using is a legit copy) it will be unusable?

What should I do guys? I want my Linux on this new baby! :(

RAV TUX
December 30th, 2006, 01:10 PM
So I bought a laptop (question about reinstalling Win XP)

moving to the windows forum.

shining
December 30th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I don't understand.
You've Win XP installed (by default), and you want to add Linux for dual booting?
Why do you need Win XP cd for that?
Just keep Win XP installed (resizing the partition and leaving some free space for Linux), then install Linux in this free space, you don't need to reinstall windows.

dolny
December 30th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Won't resizing result in data corruption/deletion?

mysticrider92
December 30th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Not if you do it correctly. Resizing a partition can be dangerous, so backup anything important before trying it, but I have never had anything go wrong.

hackle577
December 30th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Resizing a partition only erases data if you tell it to. (However, there is always the very small chance that something could go wrong, so back up your files!) When you are installing Ubuntu, simply resize your Windows partition to make room. Be aware of two things, however:

1- Do not check the "Format" box next to your Windows partition later on in the install process (duh), or you will lose all your data.

2- Do not make your Windows partition too small, or XP could have trouble with too little disk space. I was recommended to leave 25% free space for XP. So if your XP install is taking up say 20 gigs now, then your newly resized Windows partition should be at least 25 gigs.

Please note I am in no way an expert. It's just that I've recently installed Ubuntu myself and had a lot of the same questions. Plus, I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :-D

dolny
December 30th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I just had some bad experiences with resizing partitions a couple of years ago (that's why I sounded so lame I guess) but I want to try it now - I need to have my penguin on-board.

smoker
December 31st, 2006, 12:34 AM
why don't you make a disk image of your xp partition, this will let you recover your xp at a later date without the hassle of re-activating, getting all the updates again, and having to reinstall all your programmes?