PDA

View Full Version : Paying For Ubuntu Support

SuperMike
December 30th, 2006, 04:54 AM
'Just wanted to drop a brief note that Canonical, makers of Ubuntu Linux, appear to have firmed up their pricing on paid technical support packs should you want to forgo that route. After looking at this, it seems like a very affordable, fair deal.

Here's the direct link (http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid?action=show&redirect=support%2Fsupportoptions%2Fpaidsupport).

However, there were some Q/A that I couldn't find on the site and I got this answered from Ubuntu by email.

(This information is subject to change! Please email them on the link provided on the page above if you want the very latest info on this. I only provide this information here as a courtesy to help potentially alleviate any confusion and perhaps influence you to consider this support avenue for some kinds of questions, especially ones you really need answered quickly.)

1. When they say 1 year contract for tech support, they mean 10 support incidents per year, cradle to grave, not unlimited incidents.

2. When they say 9am to 5pm, they mean in YOUR timezone, not South African time. It also only means M-F, not the weekends.

3. Their service level varies according the type of services you choose to obtain from them:

- 9x5 support contract: 4 hour initial response time for cases raised by phone, 48 hrs. for incidents raised on our web based customer portal.

- 24x7: 2 hour initial response time for cases raised by phone, 24 hrs. for incidents raised on our web based customer portal.

4. The prices you see are different in some cases such as education institution discount, etc. You can contact them to find out more.

P.S. Moderators -- I'll be happy to remove this forum post if you want. I just didn't see items 1-3 explained on their website and I wanted to share what Ubuntu wrote back to me.

taurus
December 30th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Move to Cafe...

SuperMike
December 30th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.