PDA

View Full Version : Pick your distro..

yiannis_t
December 30th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Hello guys !I have on quick poll yet very important question.. Which distro you use and why really do you prefer it??

For example i am currently using kubuntu edgy feet ..for no specific reason!! One friend suggested me using it and i followed his advise so now i am taking my first steps on linux open OS! And i really enjoy it!!!:D :D

I really believe that your experienced opinions might be very helpful....

HaPPy NEW YEAr To AlL!!

taurus
December 30th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Move to Cafe.

d3v1ant_0n3
December 30th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Welcome! I think your shift key is broken ;)

I use...um...Ubuntu. This might be a common answer.

WebJoel
December 30th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I have decided to try Ubuntu "Dapper Drake". No reason, -recommendation I guess. I think "Edgy" is a bit too much for me right now, a newbie.
I had used "Puppy Linux" for a few months to 'get the feel' of Linux and learn a few things about Linux. I had found an easy installer, which promised to install without harm to an existing OS (Windows_XP, in my case). It kept it's promise.
I am thrilled to be almost-using Linux. I used to 'live in DOS' before getting myself spoiled with WIN-95, Win-98 and now, XP. But I am tired of the viruses and malware issues and want to just do my web-thing and be safe. :D

yiannis_t
December 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM
...My question was not really correct..! :/

I meant which version of ubuntu?? and which desktop manager....?

SOrry!! :/

kuja
December 30th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Edgy, KDE (I bounce back and forth between using Kwin and Beryl), sometimes I use fluxbox.

Frak
December 30th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake LTS
I like stability-LTS
Kubuntu's color nature and works of art involved in the wallpapers and such, help my job, as a graphical artist, for companies here where I live.
I just thing the K-Desktop Enviroment is beautiful, compared to Gnome.

~LoKe
December 30th, 2006, 12:56 AM
6.10 Edgy/7.04 Feisty. Gnome.

Mateo
December 30th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Ubuntu and Gnome.

I want to try other windows managers (except KDE), but I don't want to try any of those completely-minimalist to the point of looking like a computer from the mid 80s windows managers. not sure where to go there..

Frak
December 30th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Ubuntu and Gnome.

I want to try other windows managers (except KDE), but I don't want to try any of those completely-minimalist to the point of looking like a computer from the mid 80s windows managers. not sure where to go there..
Try e16 or e17, I'd think you'd really like those, e17 is unstable, but it has the shelf in it, which most users like.
Ebuntu should be out soon, featuring the e17 Desktop Enviroment.

chaosgeisterchen
December 30th, 2006, 01:05 AM
My main machine runs ArchLinux 0.8 Voodoo ALPHA and it has its problems to get to work with my wireless card - I think I revert to 0.7.2 (gimmick).

I prefer ArchLinux over Ubuntu because it gives me more freedom of choosing what to install an it's slicker overall. I am looking forward to use it whole day.

Frak
December 30th, 2006, 01:09 AM
My main machine runs ArchLinux 0.8 Voodoo ALPHA and it has its problems to get to work with my wireless card - I think I revert to 0.7.2 (gimmick).

I prefer ArchLinux over Ubuntu because it gives me more freedom of choosing what to install an it's slicker overall. I am looking forward to use it whole day.
Why don't you use an Alternate Installation disc, and search repo's for more slicker stuff, just have all repos available, including backports.

Hex_Mandos
December 30th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Edgy, Gnome. Terribly standard, I know.

qalimas
December 30th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Edgy, KDE. On both my laptop and desktop. Nice, quick, stable, pretty. Works perfect for me.

haxer
December 30th, 2006, 01:55 AM
dapper on my Desktop with gnome. On my laptop ive got xubuntu probobly with xfce :)

chaosgeisterchen
December 30th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Why don't you use an Alternate Installation disc, and search repo's for more slicker stuff, just have all repos available, including backports.

This is another option but I like the Arch way more, overall. The fully command-line-based configs, the package managing system and, most important point, the rolling release system. It's more bleeding edge this way and you won't get stuck with an old version of Arch - as you can upgrade mostly without hassle and then have the most recent software versions. This includes Kernel upgrades - Dapper with 2.6.19 anyone?

Frak
December 30th, 2006, 02:23 AM
It's more bleeding edge this way and you won't get stuck with an old version of Arch - as you can upgrade mostly without hassle and then have the most recent software versions.

Very true, I'm happy with my Arch at the moment, I like the nearly instant upgrades.

confused57
December 30th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Here's a similar thread, may help :
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=304251

maxamillion
December 30th, 2006, 02:38 AM
debian stable on my servers, just historically what I am used to working with ... though i do have a ubuntu base installation on a test server at work.

xubuntu edgy for all my desktops because i like ubuntu for the desktop, but prefer xfce over gnome.

Mateo
December 30th, 2006, 02:52 AM
what do you use your servers for.

Frak
December 30th, 2006, 02:54 AM
what do you use your servers for.
Backup...