PDA

View Full Version : Seperate backgrounds for seperate workspaces

chocolatemintmocha
December 29th, 2006, 10:39 PM
It would be cool to program the workspace feature to allow the user to have separate backgrounds for each workspace.

fuscia
December 29th, 2006, 10:53 PM
It would be cool to program the workspace feature to allow the user to have separate backgrounds for each workspace.

you mean like in kde?

chikko
February 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
is there a way to do it in gnome?
the new beryl version supports multiple viewports - but it will only start doing so when the window-manager (gnome's in that case) will support the thing..

anyone..? :)

fuscia
February 2nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
you can do it in e17 and i think one can use e17 as a wm in gnome, instead of metacity, if i'm not mistaken.

edit: yup, you can http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=54476&highlight=enlightenment

super-edit: except that i think nautilus is still running the desktop. nevermind.

Lux Perpetua
February 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
It would be cool to program the workspace feature to allow the user to have separate backgrounds for each workspace.If we take this idea to its natural next step, given the increasingly three-dimensional nature of the Linux desktop, we do away with background images entirely and have a background model, with each workspace being tied to a view of the model. This would integrate nicely with the "cube" feature of Compiz. The cube would house a three-dimensional figure, and rotating the cube would allow you to see it from any angle.

Yes, I know, high-quality rendering in real time wouldn't be possible on most computers today, but there are ways around it, e. g., rendering a simpler version of the model for transient views (wireframe, even) and saving the high-quality shots for the actual workspaces (possibly using pre-rendered images). It could still provide a seamless experience, producing the illusion of a three-dimensional scene behind the computer screen.