PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu GNU/Linux is more complete

chocolatemintmocha
December 29th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I am a fairly new GNU/Linux user, and I originally thought that Linux was the entire operating system, and that it was originally created by one man, Linus Torvalds. Then after visiting www.gnu.org I learned that Linux was only the kernel of the operating system, and that it depended on the gnu operating system, which had everything but the kernel, to operate. I think that it would be wise to call it Ubuntu GNU/Linux rather than just Ubuntu Linux. This way people can know the entire history and philosophy behind the operating system. Thanks.

meng
December 29th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks, but this topic is not a new one.

matthew
December 29th, 2006, 08:36 PM
In the many past discussions of this topic the consensus has basically been that saying "Ubuntu" is easiest for most people and that saying "Ubuntu GNU/Linux," while more accurate is also more confusing for people who have no clue what the controversy is all about and just wanted to try a new OS.

I generally say "Ubuntu" or maybe the generic "Linux." Geeks who care already know what I mean and that I intend no slight to Mr. Stallman and the GNU project...or at least they can handle it unless they want to be ideological warriors. Others who don't know what I'm talking about aren't interested in all that detail up front anyway. We can save that part of the educational process for later.

On the other hand, maybe we could be really complete and say something like this...
I use the Ubuntu distribution of GNU/Linux which is based on the Debian unstable branch with some stabilizing and additions preferring the GNOME desktop, and using the OpenOffice.org office suite, Firefox web browser, and a whole host of wonderful FLOSS software....then we could really watch the "deer in the headlights" looks take over.

My bottom line: well, yeah, the original poster has a point, but I respectfully disagree--not because I mean to take anything away from the GNU folks, but because these sorts of things get in the way when my friend just wants to know in one sentence or less what my computer is...is that Windows? a Mac? What is that? is most easily answered by "I use Ubuntu as my operating system." If people are interested they will ask questions and I'll gladly answer them.

Always quit while people want to know more...don't wait for their eyes to glaze over to stop talking.

technodigifreak
December 30th, 2006, 04:09 PM
When you are sitting in front of a Windows box and someone asks you what OS you are running......

Do you say,"Microsoft Windows New Technology Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 : Service Pack 2), oh and by the way Copyrighted 1981-2001......"

GNU/Linux is an operating environment, but so is Microsoft Windows New Technology Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 : Service Pack 2), but everyone just calls it Windows or XP. And do you want to list every installed piece of software you have on your system when someone asks what your operating system is? Because, in a very technically specific way, every piece of software that you have installed is your operating environment/system. I don't tell people that, "I use Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1" when I can simply tell them that I use Firefox.

Oh and try to explain to someone the history of Mac OSX and BSD in one intelligible sentence. I dare ya!

neowolf
December 30th, 2006, 07:03 PM
When you are sitting in front of a Windows box and someone asks you what OS you are running......

Do you say,"Microsoft Windows New Technology Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 : Service Pack 2), oh and by the way Copyrighted 1981-2001......"

GNU/Linux is an operating environment, but so is Microsoft Windows New Technology Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 : Service Pack 2), but everyone just calls it Windows or XP. And do you want to list every installed piece of software you have on your system when someone asks what your operating system is? Because, in a very technically specific way, every piece of software that you have installed is your operating environment/system. I don't tell people that, "I use Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1" when I can simply tell them that I use Firefox.

Oh and try to explain to someone the history of Mac OSX and BSD in one intelligible sentence. I dare ya!

Mac OS X: Apple's blend of the XNU kernel with bits procured from the FreeBSD project using the main base of the newly acquired NeXTSTEP proprietry UNIX enviroment created by Steve Job's company who then became a main figurehead of Apple ..*draws in breath*

BSD: *deep breath* Four main branches of BSD have been created from the code freed by Berkerly Software Division hence the name BSD called 4.4-BSD-Lite using many other open-source software mainly lccensed under the BSD license but containing pieces from the GNU project and others.

Lol, I just say Ubuntu to people who know what Linux is, or Linux to people who don't.

Sammi
December 30th, 2006, 07:20 PM
"Ubuntu GNU/Linux" both looks and sounds ugly.

"Ubuntu" is pretty and simple :D

qalimas
December 30th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I say Ubuntu, Fedora Core, Mandriva, Kubuntu, etc. I don't even bother saying Linux most of the time. Why? Because adding that little bit of information scares people. When I hand someone a Kubuntu CD and say here is the newest Kubuntu OS, they try it, they like it, then after using it a while, I inform them they have been using the "oh so hard" Linux operating system.

It should stay as just Ubuntu. I mean no disrespect to anyone, the ones who know what it means already know, the ones who don't know won't understand, so why bother?

deanlinkous
December 30th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Gnu-os