PDA

View Full Version : DRM Petition

gruffy-06
December 29th, 2006, 05:54 PM
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/bandrm/

For those who live in Britain, it is time to sign the petition that over 700 have signed. This will help ban the use of DRM in Britain.

You may want to visit www.defectivebydesign.org for more details.

meng
December 29th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I thoroughly support this sort of grass-roots people power campaign. However, I suspect the most effective campaign would be voting with your wallet - refuse to purchase DRM-enabled software/hardware/digital media files!!

gruffy-06
December 29th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Nice idea there.

But consider one thing. What if I am forced to buy DRM-labelled products? How do I react then?

DRM shouldn't have happened in the first place.

BWF89
December 29th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Instead of an internet petition that doesn't mean anything.

(the same person could have signed it 700 different times under different proxies)

Why not organize some kind of protest or assembly against DRM?

gruffy-06
December 29th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Who exactly would want to join my protest? Everyone uses Windows, so they are very unlikely to listen.

meng
December 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Nice idea there.
But consider one thing. What if I am forced to buy DRM-labelled products? How do I react then?
DRM shouldn't have happened in the first place.
I agree it's easy to say and more difficult to follow through. But for example, I choose not to use Windows and in future I'll only buy an ogg-enabled player, I choose not to use iTunes. It's something, not much, but just a little.

gruffy-06
December 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Interesting thing. Where do I EXACTLY find an OGG-enabled player? There are none on the market.

meng
December 29th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Not true! Search the web for ogg-enabled digital audio players. (They'll also play mp3s most likely.)

Tomosaur
December 29th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Instead of an internet petition that doesn't mean anything.

(the same person could have signed it 700 different times under different proxies)

Why not organize some kind of protest or assembly against DRM?

Actually - these petitions are effective - because they are supported directly by Downing Street, and are based on a post-code scheme, ensuring someone can only vote once.

meng
December 29th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Actually - these petitions are effective - because they are supported directly by Downing Street, and are based on a post-code scheme, ensuring someone can only vote once.
The postcode scheme is a nice feature. Support by Downing St doesn't imply effectiveness, if I were PM I'd support enthusiastically any such mechanisms for the minions to vent, so long as it didn't actually achieve anything! Call me a cynic.

tmatt95
December 29th, 2006, 08:42 PM
The postcode scheme is a nice feature. Support by Downing St doesn't imply effectiveness, if I were PM I'd support enthusiastically any such mechanisms for the minions to vent, so long as it didn't actually achieve anything! Call me a cynic.

Ah, but you see I am the one with the power when it comes to vote. What better way to get labour into office next year than for the PM to support the public in their bid to rid the world of DRM. I have signed the bid and good luck to it!! I have heard of the group that started this campaign and they do not seem like the type that will give up.

Regards
Matt

meng
December 29th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Ah, but you see I am the one with the power when it comes to vote. What better way to get labour into office next year than for the PM to support the public in their bid to rid the world of DRM. I have signed the bid and good luck to it!! I have heard of the group that started this campaign and they do not seem like the type that will give up.
And all the very best of luck to you and them! Just remember that your ballot on election day is powerful but it's also a very blunt instrument (how does your MP know what issues matter to you most? what if you live in a safe seat?), hence my skepticism about the machinations of democracy.