red_Marvin
December 29th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Good luck!:KS

meng
December 29th, 2006, 04:05 PM
All the best!

otake-tux
December 29th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I keep quitting and coming back. Usually I start smoking again when I have a college exam. I always quit though.

Onyros
December 29th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Been there, done that!

You either go cold turkey, or you just won't.

Going into a 5 cigar-a-day regime does NOT work, trust me. There'll always be days when you'll have an excuse for smoking an extra one, or two or three. Next thing you know, you're back to your 1, 2, 3 packs-a-day.

You better complement it with some exercise, otherwise you may just expect to gain a few pounds/kg. The norm is quitting = 33 pounds / 15 kg added :P

In a few weeks after you quit, food will taste better, you'll start noticing how other people's smoke is uncomfortable, you'll wonder how you ever managed to breathe when you smoked, you'll wonder how people ever managed to cope with the smell of tobacco all over your body :P

teejay17
December 29th, 2006, 04:54 PM
And you're not the only one. Lots of people are thinking of quitting right around this time of year. I'm going to, on New Year's day, when I'm hung-over and feel rough enough to be grossed out by the smell of smoke.
It's true about the weight, been there done that. It's also true about how you find other people's smoke absolutely disgusting after you quit. And yet, many start up again, like me!
This year, however, I'm going to think about evil tobacco companies every time I want a smoke; I don't want to line their pockets any more, and I definitely need the extra cash.
Why am I paying for cancer? It's pretty ridiculous.
That's the frame of mind I'm getting into to quit for good this time around.

dorcssa
December 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I'm always wandering how can somebody evan start smoking?:|

Rackerz
December 29th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Doesn't the ban for England come in this year? Should be amusing.

BWF89
December 29th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Something related

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/New_Zealand_doctor_starts_smoking_in_protest

ComplexNumber
December 29th, 2006, 05:38 PM
blast! i hope not. then again, in a way, i hope it deos because it will give me an incentive to give up. as long as i don't use KDE, i should be able to keep my stress levels down :p j/k

there's only one way to give up and thats.....to give up entirely. no cutting down or anything like that because it doesn't work.

Onyros
December 29th, 2006, 05:39 PM
And you're not the only one. Lots of people are thinking of quitting right around this time of year. I'm going to, on New Year's day, when I'm hung-over and feel rough enough to be grossed out by the smell of smoke.
It's true about the weight, been there done that. It's also true about how you find other people's smoke absolutely disgusting after you quit. And yet, many start up again, like me!
This year, however, I'm going to think about evil tobacco companies every time I want a smoke; I don't want to line their pockets any more, and I definitely need the extra cash.
Why am I paying for cancer? It's pretty ridiculous.
That's the frame of mind I'm getting into to quit for good this time around.My father is the perfect example of tobacco's effect on one's body.

He used to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes per day, when truly inspired he upped the ante all the way to 4 (imagine smoking 80 cigarettes in one day).

He quit, instantly, when he had an heart attack around 15 years ago. He had to undergo coronary replacement surgery. You see, you have 3 coronary arteries which irrigate your heart with blood and guess what... he had all of them completely clogged due to, among other things, heavy smoking.

A couple of years ago he had his colon completely removed, as he had developed colon cancer due to, among other things, heavy smoking.

His coronary replacement surgery is long overdue, he should have had a follow-up surgery for a few years, already, so he's now facing another life threatening surgery, mainly because he lived through years (almost 40) of constant smoking and not taking care of himself.

How did I ever take up smoking? Dunno, really. Don't remember. I never smoked more than 1 pack per day, though, and didn't smoke for too long. It was like having the image of my father on an hospital bed, intubated, struggling for his life, on each cigarette saying "You're a dumbass, now ain't ya?".

I learned my lesson in due time, though ;)

ComplexNumber
December 29th, 2006, 05:46 PM
He quit, instantly, when he had an heart attack around 15 years ago.same with mine, except my dad was threatened with cancer. he hasn't smoked since. strangely enough, he ended up getting a virulant type of cancer some years after he gave up smoking, and in the same place. that led to a secondary cancer elsewhere.

i still don't believe that smoking has been proven to cause cancer, though, because whats usually published is scaremoingering more than anything else. its a persons immune system and ability to deal with stress that determines if someones going to get cancer.....MUCH more so than if a person smokes or not.

neoflight
December 29th, 2006, 06:06 PM
thanks for all the input... yea quitting lil by lil never works....once-n-for all kinda works i guess... :-k

esaym
December 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Good luck!:KS

neoflight
December 29th, 2006, 06:28 PM
My father is the perfect example of tobacco's effect on one's body.

He used to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes per day, when truly inspired he upped the ante all the way to 4 (imagine smoking 80 cigarettes in one day).

He quit, instantly, when he had an heart attack around 15 years ago. He had to undergo coronary replacement surgery. You see, you have 3 coronary arteries which irrigate your heart with blood and guess what... he had all of them completely clogged due to, among other things, heavy smoking.

A couple of years ago he had his colon completely removed, as he had developed colon cancer due to, among other things, heavy smoking.

His coronary replacement surgery is long overdue, he should have had a follow-up surgery for a few years, already, so he's now facing another life threatening surgery, mainly because he lived through years (almost 40) of constant smoking and not taking care of himself.

How did I ever take up smoking? Dunno, really. Don't remember. I never smoked more than 1 pack per day, though, and didn't smoke for too long. It was like having the image of my father on an hospital bed, intubated, struggling for his life, on each cigarette saying "You're a dumbass, now ain't ya?".

I learned my lesson in due time, though ;)

oh man! thats something indeed. i am trying too...strong pressure from my wife too.... may be that helps !

bvanaerde
December 29th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Same thing in Belgium: smoking won't be allowed anymore in pubs, restaurants...

LanceM
December 29th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Good luck. It took me four years of trying to quit before it stuck. I have not had a cigarette since October 3, 2003.

neowolf
December 29th, 2006, 07:19 PM
To help you quit just remember than cigarettes have polonium in them, the radioactive isotope which killed the Russian spy in London not long ago. It makes your lungs ever so slightly radioactive which causes cancer.

ComplexNumber
December 29th, 2006, 07:22 PM
To help you quit just remember than cigarettes have polonium in them, the radioactive isotope which killed the Russian spy in London not long ago. It makes your lungs ever so slightly radioactive which causes cancer.
which types of cigs are you referring to? i smoke rollups, but i think you may be referring to normal cigarettes. rollups don't have all those thousands of chemicals such as salpetre(spelling?) added to them.

neoflight
December 29th, 2006, 07:31 PM
i use cammel (regular, lights,.menthol), malbro (lights),and sometimes parlamnt....:mrgreen: ...

it sucks..but a big relief when under stress...grad school !!!

ComplexNumber
December 29th, 2006, 07:33 PM
i use cammel (regular, lights,.menthol), malbro (lights),and sometimes parlamnt....:mrgreen: ...

it sucks..but a big relief when under stress...grad school !!!
smoke rollups - less damaging, much cheaper, more effort to roll one than just getting one out of the packet, and seemingly less addictive..........or give up.

budgie9
December 29th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I wish you all the luck. I quit four years ago after taking some tablets I think were called Zyban. under doctors direction mind. They worked well on my twenty a day roll-ups. However since then my BP has gone up - a lot.
What I will say, is if you smoke your roll ups, I don't think quiting is as bad, as those that buy fags over the counter. I did find it easy to stop and have never wanted one since.
Calgary and Cochrane Alberta, Canada, my local towns are going smoke free as of Jan 1st. Not a bad thing to be honest.

ComplexNumber
December 29th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I think were called Zybanzyban is not recommended and is very much a last resort. it can produce horrible side effetcs, and doctors will try to encourage people to use anything before resorting to zyban. it is effective, though.

justin whitaker
December 29th, 2006, 08:35 PM
We've got the public space ban here in Boston...actually, it's nice.

I'm not a smoker, but I'm a live and let live type...but it's nice to go to a bar or club and not smell like an ashtray afterwards.

No real economic effects from it. The clubs are still rammed, restaurants are full...there are just more people hanging outside smoking in the cold.

We all have our addictions. They ban coffee, I am straight and truly screwed. :mrgreen:

Best of luck on beating yours!

budgie9
December 29th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I agree, I wish now that I had not taken the tablets, as I believe it is the cause of high BP, personally.
But then again I have heard some real bad problems with Nicorete so perhaps cold turkey is really the only way to go.

angkor
December 29th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I'll quit smoking on 16 January 2007. That's the day before I turn 30.

I have been smoking (Gauloises) quite a lot since I was 15 and I really don't want to depend on those little blasted things for the rest of my life. It's just time to stop.

*lights up another* ;)

neoflight
December 29th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I'll quit smoking on 16 January 2007. That's the day before I turn 30.

I have been smoking (Gauloises) quite a lot since I was 15 and I really don't want to depend on those little blasted things for the rest of my life. It's just time to stop.

*lights up another* ;)

iam thinking of 3rd jan...when my school starts... i have been a 'fool with the fire at the other end' for the last 11 yrs...its high time...

Spacecaptain
December 29th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I am 3 days away from succeeding quitting smoking.
I have been using nicotine patches for the last 2-3 months an it has been very effective for me. I hardly think about smoking anymore.
Anyway, that's just me. The way I see it, everybody needs his own motivation strategy / chemical helps to quit, more so than a deadline.

Good luck to everybody trying, and remember:
Smoking was not really that much fun and not smoking is really more enjoyable!

BWF89
December 29th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I'm always wandering how can somebody evan start smoking?:|
I know what you mean. If I'm going to inhale smoke it better at least make everything funny for a couple of hours ;)

mykalreborn
December 29th, 2006, 11:27 PM
already did, thank you! :p
it's intersting to note that i didn't want to. it just happened. unexplainable.
good luck with that!

angkor
December 29th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I know what you mean. If I'm going to inhale smoke it better at least make everything funny for a couple of hours ;)

:D I already stopped inhaling that kind of smoke a couple of years ago. If you inhale to much of that kind of smoke it stops being funny after a while.

slimdog360
December 30th, 2006, 01:00 AM
smoking sucks

chaosgeisterchen
December 30th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I have never started smoking so there is no sense in stopping what I do not even do.

Good luck and all the best, though. Smoking is like a disease I think.

angkor
December 30th, 2006, 01:02 AM
somking sucks

Smoking sucks even harder. ;)

BWF89
December 30th, 2006, 01:11 AM
:D I already stopped inhaling that kind of smoke a couple of years ago. If you inhale to much of that kind of smoke it stops being funny after a while.
Everything in moderation.

haxer
December 30th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I promised my self to only "party smoking" and totally lay off with "snuff" in swedish its "snus" litte bags of tobaco you put under you uper lip for an hour and thats also nikotin :)

Johnsie
December 30th, 2006, 03:16 AM
I tried snus once. It's made me feel awful. My friend had a big hole in his gum because of it.

angkor
December 30th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Everything in moderation.

You're very right, sadly when I was younger I was never any good at moderating. :)

shining
December 30th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I have never started smoking so there is no sense in stopping what I do not even do.

I think that's the only way to go, so I'm still on it.

haxer
December 30th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I tried snus once. It's made me feel awful. My friend had a big hole in his gum because of it.

Yeah your friend should probably also try to quit and it costs money for killing yourself not good to smoke either becuse again pay money to kill yourself

Stew2
December 30th, 2006, 07:45 PM
A year and two months smoke free for me. You need 100% commitment to actually quit, anything less and you will start right back up. I smoked for 20 years and my other longest quit was 10 months. It takes determination but it is worth it! :)

DirtDawg
December 30th, 2006, 08:04 PM
iam thinking of 3rd jan...when my school starts... i have been a 'fool with the fire at the other end' for the last 11 yrs...its high time...

My university has a program to help smokers quit where I got "the patch" for about half price, and the nurses met with me every other week to give me a new box, see how I was doing, and explain to me, in medical terms, exactly what was happening to my body. Without the help of those nurses, I don't think I could have quit successfully (it's been eight months now after smoking for eleven years). I highly recommend checking if your school has a similar program.

Also, don't smoke 'rollies' as someone suggested. Those are what I smoked for about the last six years as they were higher-quality tobacco at far cheaper prices (in America, cigarettes are taxed, not tobacco. Don't tell the politicians :-# ). They're every bit as addictive as "normal" cigarettes, especially if you don't use filters.

Good luck. If you can get past the first fourteen days, you'll be in the clear. Having been through the struggle, I don't envy you but trust me it's well worth the effort.

dbbolton
December 31st, 2006, 12:07 AM
mmmm cloves...

but i probably shouldn't be smoking at 18.

djsroknrol
December 31st, 2006, 02:32 AM
I've made the resolution to quit for '07...especially when they're up to $5.50US per pack and the vending machines are as high as $7.00!

Polygon
December 31st, 2006, 03:47 AM
good luck

bikeboy
December 31st, 2006, 04:15 AM
Same thing in Belgium: smoking won't be allowed anymore in pubs, restaurants...

It's great here in Melbourne now that those regulations are in. No smoking in pubs, clubs etc, or sheltered areas of train stations, or major sporting grounds like the MCG.

People can smoke if they want, I'm not going to tell them to stop killing themselves, but only as long as they do so in an area that doesn't infringe on my choice to not smoke and to enjoy some fresh air.

Good luck to all of you who are trying to quit, you WILL get health benefits within a few days. Some things are irreversible, but your body will be far better off once you quit, no matter how long you've been a smoker. Find something constructive (ie. healthy) to do in the times you have cravings and you'll be more successful. Also try something like creating a trigger for yourself eg. when I want a cigarette I must promise to first think of something disgusting about smoking for 30 seconds. Maybe carry around a little picture of a cancer infested lung in your wallet so you can look at in when cravings hit.

teejay17
December 31st, 2006, 04:43 AM
Wow, vending machines! Those have been illegal here in Canada for years. Too many under-agers buying smokes from them.

DirtDawg
December 31st, 2006, 06:51 AM
Wow, vending machines! Those have been illegal here in Canada for years. Too many under-agers buying smokes from them.

We've never had that happen even once here in America so it's still legal. ;)

teejay17
December 31st, 2006, 06:53 AM
lol!

vayu
December 31st, 2006, 07:15 AM
Wishing you the strength and wisdom you need. Smoking was probably one of the hardest things in life for me to overcome. I've got about 8 years clean behind me, and I still feel blessed on a regular basis that I don't do it any more.

teejay17
December 31st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Well tonight's the night for me. I'm primed too. No more slavish behaviour, no more cigarette worship as of 2007.

Swab
December 31st, 2006, 05:49 PM
You guys need to get a blog together :)

teejay17
December 31st, 2006, 05:53 PM
You guys need to get a blog together :)

That might be dangerous...we could get hooked!

neoflight
December 31st, 2006, 10:13 PM
thanks for all the input.....i am primed for tonight too....have to keep atleast 5 of them in the pack to throw away....

gjtoth
December 31st, 2006, 10:35 PM
I quit 15 years ago after smoking for 30 years. Skip all the hype about patches, diets, pills, gum, and other Madison Avenue crap. Just do it. I know, I know... it sounds easy. If you know it's killing you (and it is), keep that in mind constantly. Once you get all the nicotine and lung tar out of your system, you'll realize you did the right thing. BTW, I really like waking up in the morning without hacking up a big, black lunger and blowing black junk out of my nose. My wife says I no longer smell like a garbage dump fire, too! :-D Good luck, to all you future non-smokers! Happy 2007!

plb
December 31st, 2006, 10:55 PM
I quit November 24th of this year. What the previous poster said is what made me want to quit. Can breathe a lot easier now as well.

neoflight
January 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM
i am getting motivated now !! and destroyed a pack of cig last night....lets see how long i can stand...i am not going near smokers for some time...

happy quitting for all of you...i am planning to start a poll on smoking soon !!!

ComplexNumber
January 1st, 2007, 05:21 PM
That might be dangerous...we could get hooked!
thats quite possible actually. its like these people who give up smoking and transfer all their 'addictive energy' into sports....and end up getting addicted to their own adrenaline. you guys will get addicted to blogging instead :D.
theres only way to give up - just give up.

gnomeuser
January 1st, 2007, 06:48 PM
I sorta went the other way, after 25 years of life without smoking, I started recently as a result of boredom rather than any external pressure.

lyceum
January 1st, 2007, 09:18 PM
For anyone wanting to quit, here are some herbal remedies:

Steam. Lots or steam. This can be a steam room, or just lots of hot baths. The steam bleeds the nicotine out of your system. This helps with the physical addiction.

Some people say gum for the mental addiction, but it doesn't work of you already chew gum. My books agree that Mints are the way to go. Not the candy, the leaves. Put them in your mouth, like dip. it is gross, like dip, but you are not use to it, so the changes does you good, and they taste, well, not too bad.

The last thing I have read it so avoid places you normally go just to smoke. So if you normally go to your break room at work and smoke, go for a walk instead.

You may notice that all of these also will not increase your weight, in fact they may help to retain it. You should not eat with the leaves in your mouth, and walking can't be bad for you. Sitting in front of the PC wanting cig might be though :mrgreen:

Hope this helps, and Good luck!

teejay17
January 2nd, 2007, 05:14 PM
Well it's been two days since my last cigarette and it hasn't been all that bad. It's just a matter of perception, really, and getting in your head that it's time to quit.
This is coming from someone who smoked over a pack a day, so I'm surprised to see how much I can overcome the addiction. I told myself 2007 is the year I will never touch tobacco again.

esaym
January 3rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Not sure about the rest of the US but here in Texas on January 1st 2007, all cigarettes went up another $1 a pack. A carton of Marlboros costs $42 now! :lol:

renzokuken
January 3rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
ahhh, the age old new years resolution. said it for the last few years but never lasted more than a day or two. no willpower i guess.

if microsoft bought up all the tobacco companies i'd give up then. although i'd probably start growing my own, change my name to Linus Ciggyvalds, and offer it free on the internet.

i am gonna seriously try and give up this time though.

cbm_redux
January 3rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
Going into a 5 cigar-a-day regime does NOT work, trust me.

Cigars or cigarettes? 5 cigars per day is just brutal, not to mention exorbitantly expensive.

jclmusic
January 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
my gf has quit smoking for the new year :)

no more kissing an ashtray lol :D :p

teejay17
January 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Not sure about the rest of the US but here in Texas on January 1st 2007, all cigarettes went up another $1 a pack. A carton of Marlboros costs $42 now! :lol:
Here in Canada a carton of smokes goes 70-80 bucks. Unless you go to a reserve and buy "Indian" smokes, and then it's only 35 bucks a carton...but I quit, so I don't care anymore how much they are!

teejay17
January 3rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
my gf has quit smoking for the new year :)

no more kissing an ashtray lol :D :p
Yeah, I never realised how bad it really smells until I quit.

derjames
January 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
I quit 6 years ago, and I never looked back...

zgornel
January 3rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
I'll keep on intoxicating those around me for a long while to go. ;)

iPower
January 4th, 2007, 01:35 AM
never started smoking

Agent86
January 4th, 2007, 02:26 AM
I've been nicotine-free for 4+ years (after smoking for 20+) now. The information at this website helped me

http://www.whyquit.com

Especially read the articles in Joel's Library (which are also available in a single downloadable .pdf) - they do a great job of explaining why and how nicotine is addictive, and its effects on the body and mind when you are quitting/withdrawing. It's all free.

In any event, good luck to everyone quitting (or thinking about it) in this thread.

teejay17
January 4th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I've been nicotine-free for 4+ years (after smoking for 20+) now. The information at this website helped me

http://www.whyquit.com

Especially read the articles in Joel's Library (which are also available in a single downloadable .pdf) - they do a great job of explaining why and how nicotine is addictive, and its effects on the body and mind when you are quitting/withdrawing. It's all free.

In any event, good luck to everyone quitting (or thinking about it) in this thread.
Great site man, thanks a lot. I appreciate you sharing it here...it helps.

raul_
January 4th, 2007, 06:05 AM
http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/tipsforquitting/a/AllenCarrReview.htm

It worked for Ashton Kutcher :mrgreen: i heard him on Jay Leno

loell
January 4th, 2007, 06:07 AM
i never had, but how does it really feel?

raul_
January 4th, 2007, 06:08 AM
It doesn't feel good, it just relieves your stress of not smoking (when you're addicted)

neoflight
January 4th, 2007, 06:09 AM
i never had, but how does it really feel?

i cant say it feels good. but it doesnt feel good if i dont !!!...
i am not a chain smoker.. but i would say habitual addiction. i blame it on boredom and stress:rolleyes:

i started it as a style ](*,)

aysiu
January 4th, 2007, 06:10 AM
I had created a thread on smoking here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=327475), but I couldn't create a poll in that thread. Threads merged, poll included.

neoflight
January 4th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Yeah your friend should probably also try to quit and it costs money for killing yourself not good to smoke either becuse again pay money to kill yourself

very true...i have a couple of friends together we go out to smoke and talk and blame the world ....:-#

neoflight
January 4th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Threads merged, poll included.
i have been to several sites to aid us quit... its motivating when you read it....then at school things jump back to squre-1 :(

aysiu:thank you very much. I didnt know it was possible. Could you please delete the other one (the duplicate post with the subject "do you smoke" without poll..) thanks..

DoctorMO
January 4th, 2007, 06:32 AM
My dad is dying of arterial disease which is the arteries hardening due to smoking a lot.

I have a hatred for smoking which is all about the disregard smokers have for people around them. if people want to harm them selves and know the risk, I'll hand them the poison myself; but to inflict damage on people around you for your own pleasure is something that I find deeply immoral. it's just wrong, and I don't care if you do it outside either the number of times I've been behind someone puffing away as the walk down the road and caught a lung full of smoke I can't enumerate.

Just don't do it, it's wrong.

aysiu
January 4th, 2007, 06:38 AM
aysiu:thank you very much. I didnt know it was possible. Could you please delete the other one (the duplicate post with the subject "do you smoke" without poll..) thanks.. I'm not sure why you want to delete that, but I've done so (moved it actually--it's here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=331023)).

As for the actual subject of the thread, I don't smoke for several reasons. I don't have anything against people who smoke (I have my own vices--everyone does), but these reasons have prevented me from even trying smoking:

1. I don't like the way tobacco (and marijuana) smells
2. Cigarettes cost a lot of money. I can use that for good food, paying the rent, taking a vacation.
3. I'm unhealthy enough as it is. I don't need to pay to have something that gives me bad breath and makes me even more unhealthy.

mdsmedia
January 4th, 2007, 06:55 AM
smoke rollups - less damaging, much cheaper, more effort to roll one than just getting one out of the packet, and seemingly less addictive..........or give up."rollups", "roll-your-own", or "rollies" are only less damaging if you're buying tobacco that doesn't have the chemicals included. Most tobacco (at least here in Australia) comes "with the lot", so rollies are no less damaging than tailor-mades.

A friend of mine was getting tobacco without the extras some years ago, and it tasted better too, but it was bootleg tobacco.

Cigars are said to be less damaging, probably because you don't have to inhale to enjoy them.... or something.

I gave up for 4 1/2 years, then went through a tough time at work, got retrenched, was smoking 1 cigarette occasionally, then that made it easier to buy a packet, which made it easier to smoke more...etc etc etc.

I then quit again for about 4 months....then had a car accident where I could have almost killed a guy. My car was wrecked, the other car was written off..... stressed ---> "can I have one of your smokes?" Back on them again. Temporarily ;)

mushroom
January 4th, 2007, 07:59 AM
I love tobacco. Burn, lungs, burn.

DirtDawg
January 4th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I have a hatred for smoking which is all about the disregard smokers have for people around them. if people want to harm them selves and know the risk, I'll hand them the poison myself; but to inflict damage on people around you for your own pleasure is something that I find deeply immoral. it's just wrong, and I don't care if you do it outside either the number of times I've been behind someone puffing away as the walk down the road and caught a lung full of smoke I can't enumerate.

I wonder if you feel the same way about cars?

thefirehead
January 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM
http://www.pazyryk.co.uk/DJARUM.jpg

these are great

I smoke a little less than half a pack a week.

so it's no addiction

- sean

Josey
January 5th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I quit about 2 months ago after about 5 years of tying with schemes like "I'll just have one a day" that never worked.

Josey
January 5th, 2007, 11:45 PM
"rollups", "roll-your-own", or "rollies" are only less damaging if you're buying tobacco that doesn't have the chemicals included. Most tobacco (at least here in Australia) comes "with the lot", so rollies are no less damaging than tailor-mades.

A friend of mine was getting tobacco without the extras some years ago, and it tasted better too, but it was bootleg tobacco.

Cigars are said to be less damaging, probably because you don't have to inhale to enjoy them.... or something.

I gave up for 4 1/2 years, then went through a tough time at work, got retrenched, was smoking 1 cigarette occasionally, then that made it easier to buy a packet, which made it easier to smoke more...etc etc etc.

I then quit again for about 4 months....then had a car accident where I could have almost killed a guy. My car was wrecked, the other car was written off..... stressed ---> "can I have one of your smokes?" Back on them again. Temporarily ;)

hehehe
Yeah... they say once a smoker always a smoker. We just take breaks now and then. :-|

Rhubarb
January 6th, 2007, 01:12 AM
I wonder if you feel the same way about cars?

Yes!!!
I cycle to and from work everyday, being a non-(and never have, never will)-smoker I've trained myself to hold my breath every time I smell a wisp of smoke.
Sometimes I inhale a bit of smoke either from pedestrians or car / track fumes - It's REALLY unpleasant.

Out of the last 2.5 years, I've only driven a car for a month.
My transport is walking / cycling. I don't catch buses because they're smelly things, and they cost money to use.

Yeah, so if you haven't guessed, I don't like any kind of smoke ... not even incense.

tminton
January 6th, 2007, 04:43 AM
I quit last February after smoke for 35 years....

If I can do it, you folks can too! Congrats!

thefirehead
January 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I've trained myself to hold my breath every time I smell a wisp of smoke.
Sometimes I inhale a bit of smoke either from pedestrians or car / track fumes - It's REALLY unpleasant.

wow. that little bit of smoke isn't going to hurt you.

statistically, 1 out of every 2 women, and 1 out of every 3 men will get some form of cancer in their life

I'm not saying that's an excuse to smoke. If you don't want to smoke, don't. But you've trained yourself to hold your breath so you don't catch any wisps of smoke?

what a way to live.

- sean

dorcssa
January 6th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Well, I am a women, so you're saying it will hurt me though?

teejay17
January 6th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I quit last February after smoke for 35 years....

If I can do it, you folks can too! Congrats!
Awesome. that's encouraging. How long have you been a non-smoker now?

teejay17
January 14th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Anyway, it's now been 14 days since I touched a cigarette. I guess I'm a reformed smoker now. It's been really tough at times, but I didn't cave in, and that's even better.
Anyone who ever says quitting smoking is easy is full of beans. It takes a lot of determination and will power, to say the least. And even then, you still can't stop thinking about smoking 24/7.

LanceM
January 14th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Anyway, it's now been 14 days since I touched a cigarette. I guess I'm a reformed smoker now. It's been really tough at times, but I didn't cave in, and that's even better.
Anyone who ever says quitting smoking is easy is full of beans. It takes a lot of determination and will power, to say the least. And even then, you still can't stop thinking about smoking 24/7.

I quit October of 2003. I can tell you that those strong urges become much more infrequent. The longer you make it the easier it gets.

rai4shu2
January 14th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I've never smoked, but I've always had lots of friends who smoke. I kind of vaguely know what they get out of it. Or at least I imagine I do.

teejay17
January 14th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I quit October of 2003. I can tell you that those strong urges become much more infrequent. The longer you make it the easier it gets.
Thanks. I hear that often, so I'm looking forward to the time when the urges disappear.

truthfatal
January 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I was talking to my dad about quitting a few weeks ago - he quit fifteen years ago. I'm going to quit next week (that's the plan anyways). Dad was telling me that he still gets cravings every once in a while. It's kind of scary.

teejay17
January 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I was talking to my dad about quitting a few weeks ago - he quit fifteen years ago. I'm going to quit next week (that's the plan anyways). Dad was telling me that he still gets cravings every once in a while. It's kind of scary.
Yeah, my grandfather quite 25 years ago, and it still bothers him; he craves and dreams about smoking quite a lot, but he is even happier when he wakes up to find that he really didn't smoke at all.

DirtDawg
January 15th, 2007, 01:57 AM

Very nice! You're pretty much past the worst of it after the first two weeks. Congratulations! Keep it up.

rado_london
January 15th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I have noticed one thing. All my mates say that they will quit after NY. Then dont smoke for 6 days and look at them now, all smoke twice as much as they did before. I smoke and didnt say I will quit but now I smoke the least amount of cigarettes compared to the others. So NY is the time when everyone wants to quit cigarettes but it doesnt work for all of us. I have one problem and it is that I enjoy a *** :) Many of me mates say they hate them but they are addicted. Well I love them :) What is wrong with me?

teejay17
January 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Many of me mates say they hate them but they are addicted. Well I love them :smile: What is wrong with me?
Nothing. You're allowed to do as you wish.

graabein
January 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I quit smoking last year. First in January then I sort of slowly started again but since October 16th 2006 I haven't had a single drag.

:D

Circus-Killer
January 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
1. only losers quit
2. nobody likes a quitter
3. i'll quit when i'm dead
4. my new year's resolution was to carry on smoking. so far, i'm managing okay ;)

xpod
January 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM
...sometimes editing config files make me smoke one or two...

When i`m busy like that or doing anything that needs a wee bit o concentration i forget completely about lighting ciggies up.
In fact i`ve probably smoked less during this last 9 months playing with these boxes of wires n stuff than i`ve ever done since i was 14

My other half tried to give up a week or two ago with the patches but she lasted 6 hours.........which was good for her i suppose:rolleyes:
Funnily enough when i was withdrawing for my internet after it being down for a couple of days last week she asked me if their wasn`t a "patch" i could get for that:-# cheeky mare!!
I never realised i`d become so additcted...lol

I probably smoke about 10 a day but most of them are when i`m at work.
Their about a £5 for a pack of 20 over here now if not more....I`m a bit naughty of course and get ours half price from over the channel etc so it`s not as expensive as it could be.

teejay17
January 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM
1. only losers quit
2. nobody likes a quitter
3. i'll quit when i'm dead
4. my new year's resolution was to carry on smoking. so far, i'm managing okay ;)
That's the spirit! Go on, you show them quitters what you're made of.

neoflight
January 19th, 2007, 05:24 AM
i couldn't...](*,)

still trying...[-(

Ateo
April 28th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I used to smoke cigs (20 years). I also smoke weed. So, one day I woke and coughed up half my lung (or so it felt)... I look at my half empty pack of Winston lights, opened them, broke the rest and haven't smoked since. It's been just over 5 years.

However, I smoke weed like a mofo. =) And no cough.

DirtDawg
April 29th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I used to smoke cigs (20 years). I also smoke weed. So, one day I woke and coughed up half my lung (or so it felt)... I look at my half empty pack of Winston lights, opened them, broke the rest and haven't smoked since. It's been just over 5 years.

However, I smoke weed like a mofo. =) And no cough.

If it wasn't for the "sweet 'twee", I likely never would've managed to stop smoking cigarettes. :KS

roachk71
April 30th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Seriously planning to stop smoking altogether.

Been smoking various brands and styles (filtered, non-filter) for more than twenty years (started around age 11), along with a few cigars here and there. Since quitting cold turkey is hard for me, I've moved on to a pipe, to wean myself gradually.

Pipe tobacco smells much better, too. :cool:

teejay17
May 1st, 2007, 12:07 AM
Seriously planning to stop smoking altogether.

Been smoking various brands and styles (filtered, non-filter) for more than twenty years (started around age 11), along with a few cigars here and there. Since quitting cold turkey is hard for me, I've moved on to a pipe, to wean myself gradually.

Pipe tobacco smells much better, too. :cool:
Good luck! I haven't been a smoker since January 1st, 2007. It's possible.

neoflight
May 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
is sucks ..i started again... baaaaaaaaad

angkor
May 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I've quit 17 January like I said on page three of this thread. Still going strong and haven't touched the little bastards since.

I must say I'm a little surprised how easy it is for me...I expected it to be harder, but it's all in the mind.

ade234uk
May 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Bloody strange this thread appears today. I have quit today. I am using NRT therapy, inhalators. I used these when I quit before and it worked. I am determined to do it this time. I enjoy smoking,but im just scared of what might happen if I continue to smoke.

I think we all know of relatives, friends family, parents who have died and smoking has been the contributor.

RichJacot
May 16th, 2007, 06:15 PM
My wife's tried several times and was unsuccessful until she tried to quit along with taking Welbutrin (miss spelled I'm sure). She's been smoke free for about 8 months now.

Good Luck!

Outrunner
May 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
No, and I'm not planning to start any time soon.

ThinkBuntu
May 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Smoker profile
Cigarettes: Never smoked one
Cigars: Special occasions, maybe 3 a year
Hookah: When chilling out, esp. because it doesn't smell. Once or twice a month.
Other: Well, you know what I mean. Maybe once a week :^)

ade234uk
May 21st, 2007, 08:33 AM
I had been smoking for 15 years, about 25 a day. I managed to quit on Lance Armstrongs final stage of the Tour De France 2 years ago. I know it sounds sad but I needed a starting point to motivate me.

I managed to stay quit for over a whole year after this, and then restarted last Septemeber, since then I have slowly been smoking more and more and damaging my body.

On Friday at 7:30pm I quit again. I'm gagging for a smoke at the moment, but just looking at the associated diseases caused by smoking is keeping my mind strong.

I am using NRT at the moment to help me along. If I can get over this week I am well on my way to dumping the NRT as well and will need no Nicotine whatsoever.

Of course since giving up, I am so hungry all the time. I have eaton so much over the weekens I feel bloated.

This time I mean to stay quit. Im 32 now, and I don't want to get in to my fifties and find out I have some sort of cancer, contributed to by smoking. The longer you smoke the more damage we do.

Titus A Duxass
May 21st, 2007, 08:35 AM
5 weeks without a ***.

Iceni
May 21st, 2007, 10:12 AM
I quit cold turkey about a year ago and never looked back. Can't belive how easy that was, and how much better I felt right away:)

Footissimo
May 21st, 2007, 10:15 AM
Gave up about 2 months ago cold turkey, after having smoked for 14 years or so. No particular reason, just getting really annoyed at myself.

Reading 'The Easy Way' by Allen Carr helps.
Making positive lists helps (i.e. the benefits rather than the avoidance of horribleness)

Cravings have been barely noticeable past 2 weeks or so - weight gain has been the only real problem - should've gone to the gym more from day 1, but I didn't and gained over a stone. Got most of it off because I'm more able to go to the gym!

ade234uk
May 21st, 2007, 11:58 AM
It is so annoying how cigarettes bind you. It makes me angry that I feel addicted. I want this feeling to go, hopefully over the next week it will slowly go away.

Today I feel really desperate, worse than yesterday.

A lot of smoking is about habit, for example turning on the kettle would result in me lighting up a cigarette.

Taking an email from my boss with a list of jobs to do, have a cigarette before I start the work.

Before I text my girlfiend at lunch, have a cigarette.

Backup the database, have a cigarette.

Its bloody pathetic, but these are the triggers as smokers we all know about.

Iceni
May 21st, 2007, 12:19 PM
I agree, those are the hardest. But if you force yourself thru these few days it'll slowly get better:) Why not try to do something else when you would usually have cigarette? Like text your girlfriend an extra few times while at work?

neoflight
April 25th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I like to smoke when I need to think... that sucks....and also when I am on phone. I go out of the room with out even realizing it while I am on phone...just to light one.... :D....

teejay17
July 24th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Well tonight's the night for me. I'm primed too. No more slavish behaviour, no more cigarette worship as of 2007.

Just thought I'd revisit this thread. How's everyone doing on the no smoking front? I had a few relapses in 2007, but I'm happy to say I have not had a cigarette since October 31st, 2007.

Timmer1240
July 25th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I quit over one month ago Im doing good first few weeks was tempted to smoke but resisted it!My wife quit too but now shes smoking 4 to 5 a day which is better than a pack but I sure wish she could quit completely like I did nicotine gum and lozenges help a lot with the craving Im down to just 2 or 3 lozenges a day when I run out Im sure I will have it beat ILL NEVER pick up another cigarette again Im DONE!

Agent86
July 25th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Just thought I'd revisit this thread. How's everyone doing on the no smoking front? I had a few relapses in 2007, but I'm happy to say I have not had a cigarette since October 31st, 2007.
Sorry to hear about the relapses, but happy to hear that you've cigarette-free for almost 4 years. I'm still nicotine/cigarette-free as well. I probably have about 5 minutes of cravings per YEAR now, if that much. Here's one of the truest pieces of quit-smoking advice I've found:

You think you love to smoke and you think it is so important to your happiness, but when you quit (and I know you will), you will find out that all that happiness associated with smoking is a lie. It’s a cheap carnival trick. It is nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

Found at: http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/longtermcessation/a/lesly3years.htm

I quit over one month ago Im doing good first few weeks was tempted to smoke but resisted it!My wife quit too but now shes smoking 4 to 5 a day which is better than a pack but I sure wish she could quit completely like I did nicotine gum and lozenges help a lot with the craving Im down to just 2 or 3 lozenges a day when I run out Im sure I will have it beat ILL NEVER pick up another cigarette again Im DONE!

You've chosen a rather difficult route to quitting (NRT), but I wish you luck.

wizard10000
July 25th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Quit ten days ago when I got my first e-cigarette and haven't smoked an analog since.

I'd point out that the stuff you can get at the 7-11 or the mall is just awful, and that there's an entire e-cigarette culture that can steer someone in the right direction.

Biggest e-cigarette forum on the planet -

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

If anybody's interested that forum's the place to be - I'd suggest someone read, read, read as I probably spent $150 on lousy hardware before I got the right stuff.

odiseo77
July 25th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I quit in january 2008, so it's been 3 and a half years without smoking. Luckily, I haven't had relapses, but occasionally, I (still) feel some sort of craving (mostly when I'm anxious for some reason). It sucks to feel this craving after all this time, but anytime it happens I try to think about something else.

Agent86
July 25th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Luckily, I haven't had relapses, but occasionally, I (still) feel some sort of craving (mostly when I'm anxious for some reason). It sucks to feel this craving after all this time, but anytime it happens I try to think about something else.

The important thing to realize is that the CRAVINGS GO AWAY in a minute or two. We had cravings even when we were regular smokers, but it's much cheaper, easier, smarter, healthier, etc. to just wait it out instead of light up.

Thinking about something else often helps. I found that re-reading one of the articles at whyquit.com during a crave reinforced my will to quit, and that the craving would be gone before I finished the article.

cgroza
July 25th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Lucky me, I am only 16 and now know not to put those death sticks in my mouth... ever!

teejay17
July 25th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I haven't had a craving for ages, probably since about 6 months after I first quit. It is so much easier than I thought — and that's from someone who almost smoked two packs a day!

LanceM
July 25th, 2011, 04:32 AM
My last cigarette was October 2, 2003. The cravings stopped a few years ago.

teejay17
July 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM
My last cigarette was October 2, 2003. The cravings stopped a few years ago.
Congratulations on your new lease on life!