PDA

View Full Version : what do you see in 2007 for linux?

Redlance
December 29th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Me personaly I am amazed (sincerely) how much has changed in 4 years off and on i spent trying to get into linux. now that i have found a a nice easy system (well compared to 4 years ago). I have seen linux evolve ,rapidly in my opinion, to a very robust home enviroment. This year we have seen compiz blossom and fork off to beryl (thats the obvious one more like 2005-2006). I have seen better programs and stability in this short term. I wonder what surprises are in store for us next? Anyone hazard a guess :-k :)

Gargamella
December 29th, 2006, 02:11 PM
it is more and more user-friendly...I tried years ago to become a linux user... in vain:too difficult.

This summer I tried Ubuntu and here we are.
I agree with you, i am not an expert, but i saw a great improvement in the user interface and in the program installation (apt get)

John T. Monkey
December 29th, 2006, 02:39 PM
The Ubuntu 6.10 system I have now is much better, easier to use and stable than the SUSE 9.1 set up I started with a couple of years back. I can only really see that steady progress continue.

I remember having problems mounting CD/DVD ROMS and my UAB memory stick, which was supposed to be supported, completely freezing the system. Those issues were fixed in later versions of SUSE and are not present in the versions of Ubuntu I've used. One of many examples of the progress that's been made.

We'll probly see more new users come to Linux, some of them will stick with it and some will have a whinge on the forums and go back to Windows. The user base should be getting bigger rather than smaller, but I don't think we'll see any mass migration to LInux after Vista comes out the the public. I think Vista is going to become widely used gradually. Linux will slowly continue to gather more and more users as it gets better and better.

BWF89
December 29th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I see ReiserFS falling into disuse if Reiser gets convicted.

jc87
December 29th, 2006, 03:08 PM
- New versions of popular FOSS packages ( Linux, xorg, Gnome, Kde, Xfce).

- Powerful and more stable versions of several distributions ( Debian 4.0 , Ubuntu 7.04 , Suse 10.3 , etc...)

- Growing adoption (not massive but slowly gaining numbers)

- Interesting projects form the LSB

- Possible unexpected revolutions ( support form an new hardware manufacturer, evolution in the package managing area, reconstructor-like new applications, etc...)

Sammi
December 29th, 2006, 05:28 PM
One thing I don't see: xorg.conf ;)

Looking forward to xorg version 7.3! :-D

meng
December 29th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Steve Ballmer talks about how much he loves Linux.

Mathiasdm
December 29th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Me personaly I am amazed (sincerely) how much has changed in 4 years off and on i spent trying to get into linux. now that i have found a a nice easy system (well compared to 4 years ago). I have seen linux evolve ,rapidly in my opinion, to a very robust home enviroment. This year we have seen compiz blossom and fork off to beryl (thats the obvious one more like 2005-2006). I have seen better programs and stability in this short term. I wonder what surprises are in store for us next? Anyone hazard a guess :-k :)

I see:
-even more hardware support (The bcm43xx driver will work for the Broadcom 4318 driver, I know it!)
-more application support (I'm starting to see websites claiming 'support for Windows and Linux')
-a few OEM's making babysteps towards offering desktops/laptops with Linux pre-installed (My laptop has a problem with the power cord. I had to specify the OS - from a list. It contained a huge list of Windows OS'es, starting from Windows 95, but also had an option 'Linux'. Thank you, Acer!)
-Lots of FUD spread about Linux. (Though sadly, there will always be a few fanboys that, by their stupid actions, will confirm the FUD.)
-The greatest Sudoku program to ever exist in human history, will run on Linux (Yes, I'm making a Sudoku program).

So I guess things will go pretty good :)

Edit: Beryl and Compiz will become stable/semi-stable, and included by default in a lot of distributions.

PriceChild
December 29th, 2006, 05:35 PM
One thing I don't see: xorg.conf ;)

Looking forward to xorg version 7.3! :-DI've got good and bad feelings about that one... although I probably don't know enough to make an informed decision.

I'm hoping for linux on more machines pre-installed through 2007.

Sammi
December 29th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I've got good and bad feelings about that one... although I probably don't know enough to make an informed decision.

I'm hoping for linux on more machines pre-installed through 2007.
It's nostalgia and nothing else. Your getting old :p

Seriously, what would you want with a xorg.conf if everything is automatically detected and set up?

Mathiasdm
December 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM
It's nostalgia and nothing else. Your getting old :p

Seriously, what would you want with a xorg.conf if everything is automatically detected and set up?

Well, it's kinda useful in case things don't get set up correctly;)

der_joachim
December 29th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I'm hoping for more natively supported games. :)

moma
December 29th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I would like too see a real 3D desktop that makes Compiz to look like a melted ice cube.

That new desktop should use the X3D (VRML) technology to create a 3D Virtual World and Desktop (a scene) to work and live within.

X3D is a XML syntax that describes 3D virtual world and its objects. It replaces the older VRML97 specification.

So all scene designers on Ubutuforums.org, go on and desine new desktop worlds (scenes) ;-)

Study:
FreeWRL: http://freewrl.sourceforge.net/ (quite good, easy to compile, has a Firefox VRML/X3D plugin)

OpenVRML: http://www.openvrml.org/ (tell me if you manage to compile it)

X3D specification: http://www.web3d.org/x3d/

Related project: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquet_project
-------------------------------------------------

Nouveau [Nuvo] project:
Let's hope that 2007 finally brings free drivers for nVidia's graphic cards. The Nouveau project which is supported by X.org and Freedesktop.org is going to do that ! It's gonna be an amazing achievement.

Nouveau's project page: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
[notice also the REnouveau tool, a legal RE (reverse enginering) tool that is able to dump nVidia drivers' registry settings into a text file. It simply uses mmap() to map the graphic card's memory space to a file which is then interpreted to readable format]. I recently get known with this project. The people behind it are heroes ]

Read article: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=16814

I have already succesfully run a normal 2D desktop (GNOME & KDE) with the free, open source Nouveau driver. I have nVidia GeForce 6800 LE videocard (GPU chipset NV40.2).
3D functionality is not complete, so eg. Beryl and other OpenGL applications will not work yet. (my blog... (http://linux1.no/node/2185))
...Go on and spread the good news....

A story about water-cooled, 100% noiseless and silent PC. Study the pictures.
Blog page: http://linux1.no/node/2141

Maybe we will see the first PC for sale with fast LinuxBIOS... (http://www.linuxbios.org/Welcome_to_LinuxBIOS) assisted boot.
Article: http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7694 (http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7694)

Blessings and all the the best for 2007 !

dvarsam
January 2nd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Hello!

I'm hoping for more natively supported games. :)

Based on the fact that many Ubuntu users are between the ages of 18-28, indeed, Ubuntu should be a Game console only!!!

No Office applications please, just fancy pics & games...
No serious programming involved please...
Just rip-off the whole Ubuntu OS and make it only a Game Console...

IMHO, the following is what I expect ( sorry for not being between the ages 18-28 ):

1. Codecs - easy installation please
2. Networking - something that truly works
3. Drivers - for Printers & other Hardware
4. Voice Chatting - make it possible in Linux
5. DVD Backup - with shrinking capabilities please... (like DVDShrink...)

Thanks.

P.S.> Without the above, Ubuntu is just pure junk...!!!
I don't get it - why do I have to boot back&forth from Ubuntu to Windows just to be able to do these things...?
Sorry, but my patience is running out...

nsleiman
January 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
the volume wheel working on my laptop :)

beercz
January 3rd, 2007, 01:11 AM
Voice and video in instant messaging programs, particularly in gaim - pleeeeeeeease.
Better power management support for my hp compaq nx7400 - also pleeeeeeeease.

in_flu_ence
January 3rd, 2007, 01:36 AM
Hello!

Based on the fact that many Ubuntu users are between the ages of 18-28, indeed, Ubuntu should be a Game console only!!!

No Office applications please, just fancy pics & games...
No serious programming involved please...
Just rip-off the whole Ubuntu OS and make it only a Game Console...

IMHO, the following is what I expect ( sorry for not being between the ages 18-28 ):

1. Codecs - easy installation please
2. Networking - something that truly works
3. Drivers - for Printers & other Hardware
4. Voice Chatting - make it possible in Linux
5. DVD Backup - with shrinking capabilities please... (like DVDShrink...)

Thanks.

P.S.> Without the above, Ubuntu is just pure junk...!!!
I don't get it - why do I have to boot back&forth from Ubuntu to Windows just to be able to do these things...?
Sorry, but my patience is running out...

Make it into a UBox 360:P

I would hope to see more native support from hardware suppliers and real 64bit computing with easy installer:P
Nonetheless, I would hope to have ubuntu offering me free laptop like microsoft is doing haha.

Fitzy_oz
January 3rd, 2007, 02:07 AM
More people using Ubuntu and other mainstream distro's - They just keep getting better and easier to use and setup. A few years ago I could setup and use a linux distro but no one else in my house could. Now my partner refuses to use windows on our home computer. It will be a good year for Linux. :)

Johnsie
January 3rd, 2007, 02:26 AM
I want to see composite-by-default which will most likely be in the next version of Ubuntu. I also want to see better instant messaging and hardware support. We're living in a gadget world and more pressure needs to be put on gadget makers and Linux developers to support the new gadgets. Linux wont sync my phone or my mp3 player at moment.

Swagman
March 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM
Ok.. Who pulled a "Lazarus" on this thread ?

RabbitWho
March 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM
That new desktop should use the X3D (VRML) technology to create a 3D Virtual World and Desktop (a scene) to work and live within.

Something which was done in 2007

http://www.ted.com/talks/anand_agarawala_demos_his_bumptop_desktop.html

Anyone know how this has developed?

That will be awesome when we can use our hands like in "Earth; Final Conflict", but as long as we're using touch screen like "Star Trek" and mouses like in 1950 we need 2d interfaces because we are communicating with them in 2D terms.

Anyway this thread is awesome please please please don't close it.

ha ha!

RichardLinx
March 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM
Voice and video in instant messaging programs
After reading this it doesn't feel like we've come that far. Voice and video chat on Linux is still pretty sketchy.

3rdalbum
March 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
After reading this it doesn't feel like we've come that far. Voice and video chat on Linux is still pretty sketchy.

Only since Microsoft changed the MSN Vv protocol. You can still use Meebo.com and other Flash-based sites, you can still use Skype.

I'm surprised by how many predictions actually came true. That's really cool.

RichardLinx
March 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Only since Microsoft changed the MSN Vv protocol. You can still use Meebo.com and other Flash-based sites, you can still use Skype.

I'm surprised by how many predictions actually came true. That's really cool.

Yeah true, there's been more improvement then I could have imagined back in 2006. Who would of thought that Compiz and Beryl would become a single project - and stable too! Let's not forget KDE 4.x.x, hell, even the media players are light-years ahead now. I'd use Amarok 2 over iTunes any day.

Always good to look on the bright side of things. :)

JDShu
March 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM
This is actually a thread worth raising from the dead :p Its interesting what people thought 3 years ago.

dragos240
March 21st, 2010, 02:51 PM
3 yr bump!

armageddon08
March 21st, 2010, 03:38 PM
3 yr bump!

You came, you saw and now you're overreacting. ;)

On a more serious note though, where do you guys see Linux three years down the line?

RabbitWho
March 21st, 2010, 04:02 PM

Skype works just as well for me in linux as in Windows, it's a pitty I can't use google chat which i I liked better, but that's googles fault. I'm sure they'll get round to it.

Okay yeah let's think about linux in the next 3 years and then bump it again in 2013!
A few of us can bookmark it and one of us is bound to remember :)

Because so many of the predictions came true last time i think this thread might be blessed.

I want to see more companies offer Linux pre-installed as an option on their computers. HP laptops are pretty cool but last time I bought a laptop I couldn't afford one. This could make such a difference. But people need to know about ubuntu and it needs to be easy to use. Dell stopped offering it pre-installed in Ireland because not enough people had any interest in it and too many people had problems with it.

All that is needed for this is a version of Linux that never requires the command line for normal use ever. Something which is as newbie - proof as XP was. (Vista attempted to be so newbie-proof it became near impossible to use.) All hardware support will follow then and with that software support will follow and with that it will take over the world and no one will believe that people used to pay for operating systems!

I want that in 3 years as many ordinary people with no active interest in computers know about Linux as know about Apple and Microsoft.

I want 3d desktops but we need a 3d interface, i think "sixth sense" have an awesome way of doing that http://www.ted.com/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html
I dunno about people carrying projectors around with them all the time and all that but the idea of the computer just reading the movements of your fingers because of the colors you wear on them (thimbles or nail polish) is awesome.
This would have such an effect on educational software and games.

I hope that Lubuntu and Spri Linux and other distros like that will be even lighter than now and will be still resurrecting our old computers from the 90s. Puppy too, but it's not too user friendly.

I know that phones are computers, in the same way some microwaves are computers, but I think they'll get to the point where you can do everything on a phone in 5 years that you can do on your desktop now, and that will be normal. So we'll have Ubuntu mobile phone remix like we have Ubuntu netbook remix now.

Matthewthegreat
March 21st, 2010, 11:32 PM
I want to see steam for linux in the next 3 years. They are making it mac why not linux? IMO linux is a far better gaming system. To get a mac that's good for gaming you have to spend at least $1500! As far as gaming goes the $700-800 linux box I'm building right now will have more power then the $2000 Imac, plus my pc's video card will be upgradeable!

It steam doesn't come I want to see commercial games in the ubuntu software center. If fact that could be better then steam if we got enough games.

I also want to see pitivi get some transitions and effects. I'm sure that will happen soon.

I could be dreaming here but I can always hope. ;)