PDA

View Full Version : Linux System from source

rekahsoft
December 28th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Hi all, i was just wondering how i would go about building a linux system directly from source (like i mean like DIRECTLY from source no distro to start or anything, just a blank harddisk). This is what i think i would do (correct any problems with a good explaination):
1. Build gcc for my architecture
2. Build the linux kernel for my architecture
3. Build X-server for my architecture
4. Install graphics driver (fglrx for me)
5. Configure X-server
6. Build software that i would like
7. Configure

I know the list is far from complete. One thing i do not know is how to make it a debain system (use .deb) or Redhat system (use .rpm). Also is there a way to use both? cause that would be really neat :)

P.S: What all goes together to make a linux system

ZylGadis
December 28th, 2006, 10:31 PM
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

po0f
December 28th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org/), for something a little less hardcore than LFS.

rekahsoft
December 28th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks :) i will not be trying a source install until i have a test machine :)

amo-ej1
December 29th, 2006, 01:10 PM
You missed 'a' bootloader in you initial list. Having a kernel is nice but you'll need something to tell you bios where the find it and have it kickstarted from there.

rekahsoft
December 29th, 2006, 06:15 PM
You missed 'a' bootloader in you initial list. Having a kernel is nice but you'll need something to tell you bios where the find it and have it kickstarted from there.

oops, thanks for the additive

derby007
December 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM
If u are going ahead with this: why not keep a log of everything u do : & build a nice little how-to for others to follow........ I was thinking of doing the same but i probably havent the time/patience,
maybe this book might come in handy, then maybe u already have some Linux material at your disposal...

Running Linux, 5th Edition
By Matthias Kalle Dalheimer, Matt Welsh
Publisher: O'Reilly
Pub Date: December 2005
Pages: 972

rekahsoft
December 30th, 2006, 06:39 PM
If u are going ahead with this: why not keep a log of everything u do : & build a nice little how-to for others to follow........ I was thinking of doing the same but i probably havent the time/patience,
maybe this book might come in handy, then maybe u already have some Linux material at your disposal...

Running Linux, 5th Edition
By Matthias Kalle Dalheimer, Matt Welsh
Publisher: O'Reilly
Pub Date: December 2005
Pages: 972

i have seen this book before and was thinking of buying it but i have to buy some other books first...i do have the Linux from Source book downloaded (it is a free download) and i am getting a test machine ready to do a source install. I will surely post my notes, comments, and how i did it when the time comes. (Note: it might take me a while to have the system up and running and have the time to do the source install).