View Full Version : pyGtk or wxPython?

December 28th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Hi. I am finishing reading Dive into Python, and i would love to learn howto program for X (Gnome, KDE, etc...). I have looked around and the most two interesting for me are: pyGTk and wxPython.

I would like if you could tell me which do you use, and why.

December 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM
If you're going to program just for Gnome or Linux then go with GTK, if you want cross-platform compatibility, then wx is the way to go.
I actually find wxPython easier, myself, but that's just me.
They both have excellent gui buiders (glade and wxglade, although the code that wxglade generates does need some tweaking to be usable, I don't remember how glade is, since I haven't used it for a while.)

December 28th, 2006, 04:09 PM
i like python-gtk, has excellent documentation, it's own mailing list, etc...
glade is a dream to work with. There is even a simple app out there called tepache that will parse your glade file and build a simple python file skeleton that you can modify pretty easily.

i use it for everything GUI

December 28th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I personally prefer PyQt, I found it easies, very well documented and extreamly portable. (and in general I fouod Qt widgets nicer than GTK ones)

December 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Hmm.. PyQt is for the Qt toolkit which is KDE only though. I'm pretty sure it still works in GNOME but developing Qt in GNOME is not recommended or doesnt make sense to say the least. I personally really like and use wxPython, I think it's the easiest to use and requires MUCH less code than PyGTK. I've been thinking about trying PyGTK with glade although I wish it was as easy to use as the PHP-GTK glade system.

December 29th, 2006, 12:25 AM
really, check out tepache. it does a whole lot of the code for you.
basically it reduces your work to filling in events.

December 29th, 2006, 01:26 AM
As I have seen pygtk hard-code sucks for bigger apps.

You should really use Glade.

Are there any tutorials for dive into PyQt4? (nice ones i mean)

I use pygtk + glade, but sometimes the code is far too long, as some options are missing in glade which i then have to set in the source-code itself...

If you consider using python + gtk have a look at Kiwi, as it makes development faster and leads to sweeter code :)