PDA

View Full Version : Windows makes me feel bad

Gargamella
December 28th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I have been an Ubuntu user for 5 months, so I am a full-time linux user...this morning I was browsing my brother's laptop (win XP PRO) (which is THE SAME laptop as mine, Lenovo 3000 c100) and i saw it was so SLOW, so confusing and untidy.

I felt bad! It has also few spywares and I was going mad.

Did it happen to you?

Lord Illidan
December 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I have been an Ubuntu user for 5 months, so I am a full-time linux user...this morning I was browsing my brother's laptop (win XP PRO) (which is THE SAME laptop as mine, Lenovo 3000 c100) and i saw it was so SLOW, so confusing and untidy.

Did it happen to you?

yesterday at my cousin's house.

Sef
December 28th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Did it happen to you?

Everytime I go into work and have to deal with Windows 98 First Edition on my work computer.

OffHand
December 28th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Everytime I go into work and have to deal with Windows 98 First Edition on my work computer.

Wow, that must suck.

shrimphead
December 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM

thank god I don't have to deal with win98, but still everytime I go into work and have to spend from 8.30 am - 5.30 pm writing software on winxp.

I think I spend more time in front of windows than in front of my Ubuntu these days, purely cos of my job, it's depressing

Still my PC at home will always be my ubuntu home :)

Dokatz
December 28th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I've become a linux lover that can't stop singing it's praises cause of my personal experiences with it. I log on windows to help my friends solve windows problems; Otherwise I don't really use it.

When I -have- to use it I get frustrated cause it isn't what I am used to. I like when my computer does what I tell it to. XP does too much on its own, Or simply wont let me do what I -want- to do. That bugs me. It's a good OS but for what I like about computers, It's no benefit over linux (Or ubuntu specifically) for me. I do all the same stuff I did in XP and more with ubuntu. And the 'Same old stuff' I used to do, I do even better. Even edgys bootsplash is eye candy, XGL/Compiz/Beryl...All great at impressing people while being inefficient. Whatever man

As efficient as you want it to be, Or as inefficient as windows xp. Or even more inefficient. Your choice, your path, your control. Free and is free love. Hells yeah.

Rackerz
December 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I'm forced to use XP most of the time. I've got it running as fast as possible. I had to do alot of digging but get rid of services that are just hogging my resources for no reason. I just prefer Ubuntu because it's fast already, I don't actually have to take time and dig out information.

Gargamella
December 28th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I log on windows to help my friends solve windows problems; Otherwise I don't really use it.

it is the same for me...and it isn't a good experience.

I had a Win98 First Edition...now it's a Xubuntu Dapper ;D (and it is really happy,I think)

3rdalbum
December 28th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Windows makes me feel bad for the people who run it and hire me to do virus and spyware scans when their computers get so slow. I *really* feel sorry for them when they start talking to their kids about how "using Limewire is a security risk". Is there no innocence in computing?

Klaidas
December 28th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Browse with Firefox;
Don't install unknown/untrusted software;
Don't be stupid;
Scan your computer from time to time.

Any more problems to be solved?

Stew2
December 28th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't say it makes me feel bad :) . Frustrated sometimes because a virus scan starts running in the background when you are doing things which slows everything down. And because all the software costs, even for the simple programs. Definitely doesn't make me feel bad though :D . I use whatever I have available to me, though I do prefer open source.

Regards,
Stew2

JAPrufrock
December 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Any more problems to be solved?

The dreaded blue screen.

netyire
December 28th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I think Ubuntu is better an operating system than Windows because I do not have to worry about viruses or spyware. Also, there is no need to defragment my hard-disk nor clean my registry (I don't think there is a registry, please correct me if I'm wrong). Software management is mostly a breeze with synaptic, and I can do most of the stuff I want, on Ubuntu. And to top it off, Ubuntu is free of charge, free of piracy and free as in freedom!

So I do enjoy using Ubuntu. As for whether I feel bad using Windows, lets say that I feel better with Ubuntu. And I would like having the choice to use what I like without any hassles. ;)

Dragonbite
December 28th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I use WindowsXP at work because that's what they supply and until the other IT guy (a BSD guy) and I can perform a coup (one's in the makings and Vista is helping :evil: ), we're stuck.](*,)

At least working from home we're using remote desktops. I got the VPN and remote desktop running on my Gentoo desktop, while my Windows machines haven't been successful even once!

At home my wife wants her familiarity (only getting a couple minutes away from the kids, familiarity is important in a in-do-out snippits) so she has Windows 2000.

I tried converting her but she ( a ) she doesn't have the time (or inclination) to learn another OS and ( b ) she's very visual, and if things don't look the same enough she can get flustered when there is a deadline. So I yield (for now).

The kids and I, on the other hand, are using Edubuntu. :KS Kinda sad that our computer is 1/2 the power (500M vs. 1G, 256M vs. 512M ram) of the Windows machine. The difference is not huge and Edubuntu is running more up-to-date software (OO.org/Gimp) than Windows (Office2000/Photoshop 6). Running Xfce practically eliminates the responsive difference.