PDA

View Full Version : We Might Just Get HD-DVD Play back on Linux, No DRM

spockrock
December 28th, 2006, 12:18 PM
it turns out AACS has be decrypted, hopefully this means we now can have HD-DVD play back without all the drm bs!!

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36597

MrHorus
December 28th, 2006, 02:41 PM
it turns out AACS has be decrypted, hopefully this means we now can have HD-DVD play back without all the drm bs!!

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36597

If you read the version on the register then it does state that this has only been shown to work with ONE title.

Furthermore he grabbed the key out of the memory - he never cracked anything so don't get your hopes up quite yet.

mojoman
December 28th, 2006, 05:30 PM
If you read the version on the register then it does state that this has only been shown to work with ONE title.

Furthermore he grabbed the key out of the memory - he never cracked anything so don't get your hopes up quite yet.

I know very little about these things but if you can translate the code, do you really need to crack it?

Also, in the video the codes for several movies were, I think, visible even if he just played one movie. Possibly the guy got it from the DVD-player (which logically, would need access to the key in order to play it). If this guy has found a way to get the key for the movies this should be good enough, or have I missed something here?

I for one am very curious about how this will unfold.

/Mojoman

MrHorus
December 28th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I know very little about these things but if you can translate the code, do you really need to crack it?

Yes.

My understanding is that it can be updated on the fly so in essence, it's still business as usual for the studios.

mips
December 28th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Towards the end of the clip it says it's not about the software but this and then there is a list of keys for several different movies.

meng
December 28th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Yawn - I cared more about Lightscribe compatibility than this.

BWF89
December 28th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't take The Inquirer as a credible source for anything.

spockrock
December 28th, 2006, 09:10 PM
well it has been slashdotted, and it was originally on doom9, so yeah the inquirer only reposted the news.

jdong
December 29th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Don't start celebrating yet...

(1) The guy did post a valid working AACS decrypting routine but that requires the title keys. In other words, the guy did nothing more than basically implementing the decryption algorithm as outlined in public documents by the AACS consortium

(2) The way he obtained the title keys is unknown. It's most likely sniffed from a leaky Windows HD-DVD player program, which people are speculating to be PowerDVD. If it was indeed retrieved through a flaw in PowerDVD, this would lead to PowerDVD's AACS key to be revoked and thus title keys for newer DVD's won't be retrievable with this method yet.

Rhapsody
December 29th, 2006, 10:21 AM
If it was indeed retrieved through a flaw in PowerDVD, this would lead to PowerDVD's AACS key to be revoked and thus title keys for newer DVD's won't be retrievable with this method yet.

This sort of thing has made me think how absolutely awesome it would be if someone were to find an exploit in the PlayStation 3 and get it to start giving out AACS keys.

It gives me a metaphorical image of Sony standing behind the PS3 with a kitchen knife in its hand. Would they do it? Would they kill the only real unique feature the PS3 has? Would they have a choice?

It'd certainly make for interesting viewing.

~LoKe
December 29th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Doesn't matter how he did it, only that he did it.

jdong
December 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM
This sort of thing has made me think how absolutely awesome it would be if someone were to find an exploit in the PlayStation 3 and get it to start giving out AACS keys.

It gives me a metaphorical image of Sony standing behind the PS3 with a kitchen knife in its hand. Would they do it? Would they kill the only real unique feature the PS3 has? Would they have a choice?

The PS3's keys would be revoked, and Sony would have to provide a software patch to the PS3's that close off these vulnerabilities for the device to continue being able play HDDVD.

spockrock
December 31st, 2006, 08:05 AM
I think you mean blu-ray.

Soarer
December 31st, 2006, 09:38 AM
The PS3's keys would be revoked, and Sony would have to provide a software patch to the PS3's that close off these vulnerabilities for the device to continue being able play HDDVD.

Yes - that's the technical answer :)

In practice, there are millions of unpatched Windows PCs around the Internet being used as spam generators, because people don't know how or haven't bothered to update them. How many people will be able to patch their PS3, and how many will instead complain loudly that 'it's broken' and insist Sony fix them?

It's a dumb idea that can't work in the real world, IMHO.

spockrock
December 31st, 2006, 09:59 AM
Yes - that's the technical answer :)

In practice, there are millions of unpatched Windows PCs around the Internet being used as spam generators, because people don't know how or haven't bothered to update them. How many people will be able to patch their PS3, and how many will instead complain loudly that 'it's broken' and insist Sony fix them?

It's a dumb idea that can't work in the real world, IMHO.

I think the reason why there are unpatched windows machines, is simply put people are lazy, the idea windows updates cause more problems then fix, and finally pirated versions. If people who want to use the sony online functionality will have to, but yes for those who do not have Internet connections, or do not use the online functionality are pretty much screwed I say this because its a company who had no qualms about installing root kits on its customers computers, I imagine will put the ps3 keys on the ban list.

Also remember the ps3 uses blu-ray which I believe has an extra layer of protection on top of aacs. So far on hd-dvd is affected by this utility thus, far.

Lord Illidan
December 31st, 2006, 10:02 AM
Umm, I have enough confidence that we will eventually hack it. But it will be a long haul, I think.

spockrock
December 31st, 2006, 10:17 AM
ok, maybe I am failing to grasp the complexity of the situation, but to my understanding, is this, if, the hacker did use power dvd to get the keys, he has access to the power dvd key right. now DeCss (the dvd protection), used a list of good keys, right,so once you get, a good key, DeCss is pretty much cracked right. Now aacs, does the opposite, a list of banned keys, right. This means, that, right, now, there is a good key, possibly the power dvd key(s) right? If we know have a power dvd key, whats stopping in editing, the key, since its no longer the same key, it should still work right, since aacs only looks for a list of bad keys, right, I guess its just the complexity of the key algorithm.....that prevents this small change, that I am suggesting.

jdong
December 31st, 2006, 04:10 PM
whats stopping in editing, the key, since its no longer the same key, it should still work right, since aacs only looks for a list of bad keys, right, I guess its just the complexity of the key algorithm.....that prevents this small change, that I am suggesting.

These are cryptographical keys, that's like trying to edit your GPG keys to match that of the NSA's director to sniff government communications :D

NESFreak
December 31st, 2006, 04:58 PM
he only got the key from mem. this means he gan do with the media what he wants. for instance rip it. He just has the key NOT the lock!!

NESFreak