PDA

View Full Version : sudo or gksudo/kdesu

Frak
December 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Do you use sudo or gksudo/kdesu?

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

dbbolton
December 28th, 2006, 08:57 AM
sudo is two less keystrokes to worry about.

angkor
December 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Where's the 'both' option on the poll? ;)

Usually I stick with sudo, but for graphical apps I use gksudo.

roachk71
December 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM
For some reason, programs and utilities which need kdesu won't work after sudo is used, so I bypass that problem using kdesu. Sudo isn't a problem in GNOME, though. :KS

shrimphead
December 28th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I use both, depends whether I'm working graphically or on the command line

3rdalbum
December 28th, 2006, 01:52 PM
If it's a graphical program, I use gksudo. If it's text-based, I use sudo. I don't use kdesu anymore, as it takes too long to load on Gnome and I can't customise it.

MaximB
December 28th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I use "sudo" only to install things and edit files... otherwise why would I need to use "su" anyway ?

juky
March 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Since I am a newbie, I was not aware of gksudo... but thaks to this forum, I will use it more often!

Cheers!

aysiu
March 14th, 2008, 11:36 PM
It really shouldn't be a matter of more or less often. It should depend on what kind of application you're running. For example:
sudo fdisk -l or
sudo apt-get update

If it's a terminal application, you should use sudo. If it's a graphical application, you should use gksudo or kdesu. For example:
gksudo gdmsetup or
kdesu konqueror

kevdog
March 14th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I dont get the point of this poll. The situations the commands are to be used are mutually exclusive not inclusive. I guess my question would be if I were not using gnome or kde, what would the equivalent sudo statement be. If I installed e17 and then wanted to open gedit or something similar, would I use sudo or gksu?

Can't you get by with gksu rather than gksudo?

aysiu
March 14th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I dont get the point of this poll. The situations the commands are to be used are mutually exclusive not inclusive. I guess my question would be if I were not using gnome or kde, what would the equivalent sudo statement be. If I installed e17 and then wanted to open gedit or something similar, would I use sudo or gksu?

Can't you get by with gksu rather than gksudo?
For Gedit, you would use gksudo

kevdog
March 14th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Is the requirement for gksu or kdesu specific to the window manager (kde vs metacity) or the desktop manager (gnome vs kde)?

aysiu
March 14th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Is the requirement for gksu or kdesu specific to the window manager (kde vs metacity) or the desktop manager (gnome vs kde)?
It's dependent on the toolkit the application uses. So if I launch KWrite in Gnome, I'll still do
kdesu kwrite and not
gksudo kwrite QT apps use kdesu and GTK apps use
gksudo

jobsonandrew
April 15th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I just always use sudo.. I have only ever used gksudo when I followed a guide and wanted to do it by the letter...

Dont you get exactly the same result with just sudo? I dont get the point of gksudo :S

aysiu
April 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Dont you get exactly the same result with just sudo? I dont get the point of gksudo :S No. Read this: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo